Tax Exempt But Still Applying Tax

Fortunately, we don't have any sales taxes here in Oregon. But one of our clients is in Florida and has 2 tax rates setup. One for Florida (state) and one for a local for a particular city (we'll call it XYZ).

There are two questions/issues.

1) Is the restriction still in place where a "Location" has to be unique? I.e. Florida could not be in USA Location and the city XYZ could not be in the Florida location? Or does the system now determine the "most restrictive" definition and then use the rates (additive) from there?

2) User places an order and Tax Exempt is checked. The order data shows tax_exempt == 'Y' but tax is charged for Florida (their shipping address is in Florida).

What would cause the 'tax_exempt' flag to be ignored and tax calculation to be applied?

Didn't see anything recent in bugtracker related to tax exempt and review of the code indicates that taxes are generally applied when tax_exempt != 'Y'. However, there are a couple of hooks and it seems to make the initial setting based on the user's 'auth' data in the session. But as stated above, the order data itself has tax_exempt == 'Y'.

Anyone else experience this?

I am working with a clean install - no 3rd party add-ons whatsoever. Tax exempt doesn't do anything here either, it's just being ignored no matter how I set things up.

I've been trying for 3 hours now to setup tax correctly, and it's a nightmare. It just can't be done with out of the box configuration, at least not for inside the EU.

I have a client who has been struggling with the tax exempt feature too. Seems to work sometimes for her but mostly does not. I have not been able to find a reproducible case to debug for her. But if you figure it out, please post results.

I tried it on a cs-cart demo, and even there tax exempt is not working. The setting is simply being ignored. http://forum.cs-cart.com/tracker/issue-6219-tax-exempt-being-ignored/

Hmm, seems to work for me as long as the customer signs out and signs back in after admin sets tax exempt in his profile. If you don't and look at the template variables after recalculating the cart then auth[tax_exempt] is still set to N. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing - too much caching of customer profile data in the session.

A little more on this. When you go into checkout cart[user_data][tax_exempt] gets updated to Y but auth[tax_exempt] is still N. Hence, tax gets charged but the order data in the database is populated from cart[user_data] so it gets set to Y in the order.

HMm yes I see. What I find very strange though is that if I use tax exempt cs-cart is charging the same amount, it just says the amount does not include tax. Shouldn't the amount be reduced?!

So if I have 100 euro including 20% tax

now somebody is tax exempt - they should pay 80 euro. Not 100 euro excluding tax?!

I don't do tax included being in the US so not 100% sure. I think to make it work that way you need to set your prices without tax and uncheck the tax included box on your tax. Then check the boxes in Settings|Appearance to display prices including taxes and in Settings|General set an appropriate default location so the tax is shown in the price.

I don't do tax included being in the US so not 100% sure. I think to make it work that way you need to set your prices without tax and uncheck the tax included box on your tax. Then check the boxes in Settings|Appearance to display prices including taxes and in Settings|General set an appropriate default location so the tax is shown in the price.

Yes that works, but causes other problems.... conclusion is: out of the box cs-cart can not be used in the EU. Which is too bad. I already reported this to them in 2012 (and with me a lot of other users) and was hoping the latest version would work, but they never fixed it.....

Fortunately, we don't have any sales taxes here in Oregon. But one of our clients is in Florida and has 2 tax rates setup. One for Florida (state) and one for a local for a particular city (we'll call it XYZ).

There are two questions/issues.
1) Is the restriction still in place where a "Location" has to be unique? I.e. Florida could not be in USA Location and the city XYZ could not be in the Florida location? Or does the system now determine the "most restrictive" definition and then use the rates (additive) from there?

2) User places an order and Tax Exempt is checked. The order data shows tax_exempt == 'Y' but tax is charged for Florida (their shipping address is in Florida).

What would cause the 'tax_exempt' flag to be ignored and tax calculation to be applied?

Didn't see anything recent in bugtracker related to tax exempt and review of the code indicates that taxes are generally applied when tax_exempt != 'Y'. However, there are a couple of hooks and it seems to make the initial setting based on the user's 'auth' data in the session. But as stated above, the order data itself has tax_exempt == 'Y'.

Anyone else experience this?

Can it be that you have 0% tax and not extempt and you are obligatory to show 0% on invoices.

Some us states have 0% taxes and tax extempt is something else

I don't think so. Tax is non-zero and is being applied to most (but not all) orders where customer has the tax-exempt flag set.

I hope you're right because on my continent tax 0 is one thing, tax extempt another.

best wishes

Has anyone got the tax excempt working? When I spoke to CS Cart they said that it was a bug that would involve refactoring the code and it would not be fixed in the current version

Still doesn't seem to be working?