• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Help With Custom Ccs And Visual Editor Overwrite. Rate Topic   - - - - -

• tbirnseth
  • CS Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 11320 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:10 PM #21

Yes, the OP needs to learn how to use code inspector and determine what the right qualification should be for the affect he wants to create.

Would suggest an online tutorial on css.

EZ Merchant Solutions: Custom (USA based) B2B Development, Consulting, Development and Special Projects (get a quote here).
Commercial addons, payment methods and modifications to meet your business and operations needs.

Posted 20 December 2015 - 02:19 AM #22

That would be me and you can say that again.. I am a business owner who specialized in ink distribution and chip coding. That said, I have developed my entire website without any help, and haven't even had a developer take a look at it yet. Prior to 6 months ago when I decided to start teaching myself a few different code syntax's I had no experience other than HTML, so I am taking all of your advise in and appreciate it.

The only thing I don't understand is that to simplify things I've made a class just like a default one, and applied it to the same block that the default class is used for, so although I lack experience, it seems as if the only difference is where the code resides [ie. This new CSS Class .about-co-subheader is in the styles.css file created for the My Changes add-on technique of adding new CSS code].

The reason my confusion stands is because I can correctly apply this CSS code in html blocks with code similar to <p class="about-co-subheader"> text here </p> but can not figu're out how to apply it through the user-defines CSS class field in the block settings in layout manager.

I'll leave it at that, if anyone knows the solution or has experienced this dilemma and understands what I am doing wrong your advise would be greatly appreciated; I have already picked your brains enough though.

Again, thanks to all who have contributed. It's been of great help.

• Takestock
  • Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:35 AM #23

That would be me and you can say that again.. I am a business owner who specialized in ink distribution and chip coding. That said, I have developed my entire website without any help, and haven't even had a developer take a look at it yet. Prior to 6 months ago when I decided to start teaching myself a few different code syntax's I had no experience other than HTML, so I am taking all of your advise in and appreciate it.

The only thing I don't understand is that to simplify things I've made a class just like a default one, and applied it to the same block that the default class is used for, so although I lack experience, it seems as if the only difference is where the code resides [ie. This new CSS Class .about-co-subheader is in the styles.css file created for the My Changes add-on technique of adding new CSS code].

The reason my confusion stands is because I can correctly apply this CSS code in html blocks with code similar to <p class="about-co-subheader"> text here </p> but can not figu're out how to apply it through the user-defines CSS class field in the block settings in layout manager.

I'll leave it at that, if anyone knows the solution or has experienced this dilemma and understands what I am doing wrong your advise would be greatly appreciated; I have already picked your brains enough though.

Again, thanks to all who have contributed. It's been of great help.

What would be really helpful is if you were to post a link to the site and an image to show the part you want to change. Someone might be able to look at it in code inspector and tell you what you are doing wrong.

Alan

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:32 PM #24

I wanted to check back in and let everyone know that I found the resolution and since this thread has so many views and thus there are probably a lot of people with the same questions..

1. Follow the tutorial referenced at beginning of thread on how to set up the My Changes add-on for editing/adding CSS code [I used styles.css - make sure you use .css extension for both this file and also when it is referenced in the .tpl file].

2. Add code similar to this in the styles.css file you created in /css/addons/my_changes/ [important: keep the "div." and the " p {" part of the class name, everything else can be changed]:

div.about-co-subheader p {
border-width: 12px
border-style: solid
border-color: #18191A
}

3. Go to Layout Manager. Find the desired grid you want to apply your code to, and open the settings panel for that grid.

4. In the 'User-Defined CSS Class' field add: about-co-subheader [if you want to apply two or more CSS classes, put a space in between each class]

5. Administration > Storage > Clear Cache

6. Check results

Thanks to everyone for their help. Even though I solved this on my own your suggestions led me down the right path of trial and error.
I appreciate everyone's time and contribution to this matter: it was driving me crazy.

I also came across an amazing FTP client and code editor for iPad Pro for when your not at your computer. Horrible name, but it's called Textastic and is very well made. Anyone with an iPad should check it out, it is great.