• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Google Whining About Cs Cart's Robots.txt Rate Topic   - - - - -

• novista
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:03 PM #1

I just an email from Google stating that my robots.txt file is hurting my rankings.

Googlebot cannot access your JavaScript and/or CSS files because of restrictions in your robots.txt file. These files help Google understand that your website works properly so blocking access to these assets can result in suboptimal rankings.

They want me to unblock /js/ and /var/ so then can read the css. This goes against CS Cart's recommendation as well as a lot of the SEO folks on this forum. Can someone identify the dangers of allowing var and js open to robots?

Thanks.

• tbirnseth
  • CS Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 12071 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 03:18 AM #2

Hmm, my robots.txt only blocks app/ and store_closed.html

What is your concern on unblocking those directories in robots.txt? All those files are accessible via http.

EZ Merchant Solutions: Custom (USA based) B2B Development, Consulting, Development and Special Projects (get a quote here).
Commercial addons, payment methods and modifications to meet your business and operations needs.

• novista
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:03 AM #3

I don't have any concerns really. I was just following prevoius recommendations, you know, like a lemming. I never saw a problem with it.