Addons Vs Template Modifications

I am working on a template for my company, and I need to make some changes. Is it best to just modify the template or should I make addons and overwrite some parts of the template?

[quote name='shylor' timestamp='1429189066' post='211715']

I am working on a template for my company, and I need to make some changes. Is it best to just modify the template or should I make addons and overwrite some parts of the template?

[/quote]

If you plan to upgrade this website in the future, it is better to use add-ons. If not, change default files

All the way Addons, no matter what! Even my_changes method is better than changing files. And if you are able to write functions in your Addons you will be happy in next versions as you will have to do minimal changes and most important you wont have to look for thiings you did in the past!

Fotis

[quote name='dvsgr' timestamp='1429449233' post='211981']

All the way Addons, no matter what! Even my_changes method is better than changing files. And if you are able to write functions in your Addons you will be happy in next versions as you will have to do minimal changes and most important you wont have to look for thiings you did in the past!

[/quote]

If the new theme is complex, it will be required to override a huge amount of default templates by the add-on. In this case the pages loading speed can be significantly increased