• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Addons Vs Template Modifications Rate Topic   - - - - -

• shylor
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 12:57 PM #1

I am working on a template for my company, and I need to make some changes. Is it best to just modify the template or should I make addons and overwrite some parts of the template?

• eComLabs
  • CS-Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 21996 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:06 PM #2

I am working on a template for my company, and I need to make some changes. Is it best to just modify the template or should I make addons and overwrite some parts of the template?

If you plan to upgrade this website in the future, it is better to use add-ons. If not, change default files
GET A FREE QUOTE | CS-Cart Add-ons | CS-Cart Licenses | CS-Cart Development | CS-Cart Design | Server Configuration | UniTheme and YOUPI
CS-Cart                USD 345     Multi-Vendor              USD 1250    Multi-Vendor PLUS           USD 3100 (2775)
CS-Cart Ultimate  USD 775     CS-Cart + YOUPI      USD 545      Multi-Vendor Ultimate       USD 7500 (6000)

• dvsgr
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 1454 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 01:13 PM #3

All the way Addons, no matter what! Even my_changes method is better than changing files. And if you are able to write functions in your Addons you will be happy in next versions as you will have to do minimal changes and most important you wont have to look for thiings you did in the past!

Fotis
Fotis Kourmadas
Cs-Cart Development - Cs-Cart Authorized Reseller 

• eComLabs
  • CS-Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 21996 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:58 AM #4

All the way Addons, no matter what! Even my_changes method is better than changing files. And if you are able to write functions in your Addons you will be happy in next versions as you will have to do minimal changes and most important you wont have to look for thiings you did in the past!

If the new theme is complex, it will be required to override a huge amount of default templates by the add-on. In this case the pages loading speed can be significantly increased
GET A FREE QUOTE | CS-Cart Add-ons | CS-Cart Licenses | CS-Cart Development | CS-Cart Design | Server Configuration | UniTheme and YOUPI
CS-Cart                USD 345     Multi-Vendor              USD 1250    Multi-Vendor PLUS           USD 3100 (2775)
CS-Cart Ultimate  USD 775     CS-Cart + YOUPI      USD 545      Multi-Vendor Ultimate       USD 7500 (6000)