Are You Really Planning To Delete Localization Functionality?

I was shocked to receive the following response to a recent bug report (http://forum.cs-cart…d-localization/):

“At the moment we do not provide support for this functionality, only fixing critical bugs. Also this functionality is likely to be deleted from the default package of CS-Cart in the nearest future.”

Why would you delete localization functionality? My website uses it extensively. What you suggest I replace that functionality with?

Surely they can't mean that they will remove localizations from CS-Cart. That would be devastating to most of cs-cart customers. It would make no sense because they have just made improvements in translation system and added localized banners.

It seems to me that there must be a misunderstanding.

The fact that they are no longer correcting bugs related to localization is not a good sign - even when I presented them with a simple fix for the bug (which I have moved onto my live site).

See http://forum.cs-cart.com/topic/42535-localization-support/

WOW!

That's crazy. That would be the end of CS-Cart for us. We would be forced to move to other software.

I think this must be some kind of mistake.

Can someone from Simbirsk/Cs-Cart please comment if they are really planning to remove localization?

Localization is somehow similar with multi-store but it will be nice to have this feature for simple cases.

Localization is somehow similar with multi-store but it will be nice to have this feature for simple cases.

If Multi store gives equivalent functionality, and that is what CSCart would prefer us to move to, then that is fine. However, CSCart needs to say that to us and show us how we can convert over. Just quietly abandonning and refusing to support a feature that our stores depend on is not acceptable.

Maybe there is some confusion. CS-Cart has languages, currency, which are localization. CS-Cart without multiple languages or multiple currencies is completely useless.

However, there also is a localization function hidden in CS-Cart which just doesn't make much sense.

If they mean that virtually no is using that, then yeah that's no surprise. The function complexes things a lot. They should consider to simplify the localizations function.

For example with shipping & payment methods: why not just make these location depended? i.e. share a shipping or payment method to locations. This way its much simpler and its in line with other functions.

Maybe you should ask them what User Voice topic drove them to this decision.

Content based on locale is as important as language/currency/measures.

Isn't content based on locale the same as language?

Not necessarily.... Let's say (hypothetically) that I sell items that are available in one country and restricted in others and both of those countries use 'en' and euros. The localization support should allow me to restrict a product (pages, categories, etc.) from being shown in a country that has the restriction.

Not necessarily.... Let's say (hypothetically) that I sell items that are available in one country and restricted in others and both of those countries use 'en' and euros. The localization support should allow me to restrict a product (pages, categories, etc.) from being shown in a country that has the restriction.

That is exactly how my website works - we sell local produce only - no imports. So in each country we only show local products from local producers. Localization is perfect for that as it allows us to select products, producers, shipping methods according to location. I can also select other content - eg news items - relevant to the location.

Localization is very powerful and very simple in implementation. Basically most data (tables) in the CSCart database contain a localization(s) field. This allows all data to be simply selected based on localization.

Localization can be confusing for some users but it is turned off by default. Only people who need it will use it. It is simple and effective - I don't understand why CSCart wants to abandon it.

Ask the question in the Russian forum and you'll probably get an immediate answer.

I had an addon made for just this. I show all products to all countries, but I have shipping restrictions per product/category.

But yeah, in essence that's a handy feature that we used on our previous website. I tried it out in cs-cart and decided that it was too messy to keep overview. Its basically creating a new site for every location. Considering that we ship worldwide that makes it way to complex to oversee.