Multiple Servers

Hello,

We are prepping for an influx of traffic. Currently, we start to get internaly server errors at around 200 concurrent users. We need to be able to support 5000. I assuming the issue is the PHP application rather than a memory or processing power issue.

Does anyone know if CS-Cart supports splitting things across multiple servers?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Whats the spec of your current server?

I am not a technical person so I apologize if this doesn't make sense but from what I'm reading off the invoice it's a Dual Processor Quad Core Xeon 5620 - 2.40GHz (Westmere) - 2 x 12MB cache w/HT. 3000GB monthly bandwidth alotment, 4 - 500GB SATA II, SATA RAID 5 Disk Controller, 12 GB DDR3 Registered 1333. Max speed of 1000 Mbps.

Traditionally multi-system configurations break things into the Web server (handles requests and load balancing), the business layer (php code) and the database layer.

In cs-cart you will be able to separate the DB layer, but probably will not have success separating the business logic from the presentation because the smarty templates simply generate PHP code. However, a good load balancing router should get you a reasonable spread and using a SAN with a server dedicated to the DB should be adequate to support 5K users. Utilizing a CDN might also help you unless your site is under constant change, then a CDN can actually punish you.

Be prepared to spend real $$ to support your need. Cs-cart is designed around single server small merchant installations. It is well architected, but not designed toward large commercial installations.

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1413055960' post='193929']

Traditionally multi-system configurations break things into the Web server (handles requests and load balancing), the business layer (php code) and the database layer.

In cs-cart you will be able to separate the DB layer, but probably will not have success separating the business logic from the presentation because the smarty templates simply generate PHP code. However, a good load balancing router should get you a reasonable spread and using a SAN with a server dedicated to the DB should be adequate to support 5K users. Utilizing a CDN might also help you unless your site is under constant change, then a CDN can actually punish you.

Be prepared to spend real $$ to support your need. Cs-cart is designed around single server small merchant installations. It is well architected, but not designed toward large commercial installations.

[/quote]

So does that mean when my store becomes bigger I will have to switch to a more commercial type shopping cart like Magento?

Not sure I'd classify Magento as a more commercial grade. It will suffer from much of the same issues. As I said, you can easily separate the DB onto a dedicated server and leave the rest to be handled in a cluster with a good load balancer. These are all hardware related issues and cost a pretty penny to implement correctly. But if you're having 5K simultaneous users, then spending a couple of $K a month on hosting related hardware/configuration shouldn't be an issue. Find a good provider who can show you equivalent sites they've done with that volume of traffic.

I think you will also find that when cs-cart releases their SAAS prodduct that they will have addressed the architectural issues. But if you watch the forums here and their blog you'll find that they're already about a year or so behind schedule for getting something commercial available.

Thanks for the info! I guess i will stick with cs cart for a long time and spend more $ on hardware performance when i get heavy traffic. I will most likely stick with VPS for now since i just started my store. Also cant wait for their SAAS product. Lets see when they release that service even though they are behind schedule.

You're expecting to handle 5K concurrent visitorson a VPS? That's a strategy that's doomed to fail. That you are currently handling 200 on a VPS shold be considered a blessing. Maybe you mean "visitors', not 'concurrent visitors'.

We've been able to sustain over 150 concurrent simultaneous users at one time. This was during one of our flash sales. We had no load issues at all. This was also Cs-Cart V2.2.5 with MEMCACHE. Now with V4.x we have had up to 100 concurrent users at once but did start to see some bogging down. Sure would be nice to see Cs-Cart bring back MEMCACHE. I would start with your server. Put the money into a private dedicated server. SSD Hard Drives and decent processor and memory Specs. Then find a developer that can reintroduce the memcache into Cs-Cart. Been looking for one myself. 5K concurrent users at once. That would be nice. Sure seems like a lot. Never seen an ecommerce site with that kind of traffic not have multiple dedicated servers and dedicated team of programmers and site engineers.

tbirnseth, thanks for your reply. Much appreciated.

Have you considered to create a Private Cloud on multiple servers? Basically you would run a virtual server powered by multiple hardware servers. This allows you to add more servers as you grow without changing your site setup. You can just add or remove servers as needed.

[quote name='ambush510' timestamp='1413069526' post='193938']

Also cant wait for their SAAS product.

[/quote]

Hi!

The wait is over: Merchium has been released, and you can now create a full-featured online store in 10 seconds.

We released Merchium as a beta earlier this year but had to suspend the project for some time. We are proud to introduce you to the new and updated Merchium, no longer in beta and with a massive roadmap to look forward to.

Feature-wise Merchium almost the same as CS-Cart, so you will find the familiar admin panel with the familiar tools. All Merchium stores are automatically updated about twice a month and regularly backed up.

Even the cheapest Merchium Gold plan offers unlimited products, transactions, and traffic and no trnsaction fee. There's a risk-free 21-day trial, so you can safely try Merchium before you buy it.

I will be happy to ask any questions you have about Merchium.

Thanks!