Database Size, Archiving Old Orders

How does everyone deal with old orders? Our database on the server is becoming quite big due to the orders that have been placed, how do you all resolve this? do you just delete the old orders after xx months or somehow archive them?

Many thanks for any help on this.

Kind regards,

Tony

Curious how many orders you have and what you feel you will gain from deleting some?

I have almost 3500 orders, I only ask as my server keeps dropping out and when I questioned it they mentioned it was due to the database size??

so I wondered how everyone else deals with this, if there was a way to archive or if it's just a case of more server power needed?

Kind regards,

Tony

Don't believe number of orders has anything to do with it… We currently have over 40,000 orders sitting in our database with no issues. If your server is dropping there are other issues. Are you on a shared server plan ?

I'm guessing you are running out of server resources. Sounds like your business has grown and it's time to take the training wheels off.

[quote name='CarStickersDecals' timestamp='1399215331' post='182882']

Don't believe number of orders has anything to do with it… We currently have over 40,000 orders sitting in our database with no issues. If your server is dropping there are other issues. Are you on a shared server plan ?

[/quote]

No we are on a Dedicated. 2.7GHz, 2mb Cache, 250GB SATA, 2GB DDR3

What server are you on CarStickersDecals?

2GB memory is probably a little light, I would recommend 4G minimum. No need to short yourself when you're already paying for a dedicated server. I would suggest you work with your host to determine the appropriate configuration for your needs as well as to find a mysql guru who can help you tune mysql to both cs-cart and your server resources. With mysql, goal is to get as much in memory as possible/reasonable.

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1399234438' post='182889']

2GB memory is probably a little light, I would recommend 4G minimum. No need to short yourself when you're already paying for a dedicated server. I would suggest you work with your host to determine the appropriate configuration for your needs as well as to find a mysql guru who can help you tune mysql to both cs-cart and your server resources. With mysql, goal is to get as much in memory as possible/reasonable.

[/quote]

I have been speaking to my host and have agreed to upgrade to:

4 x 3.3Ghz, 8MB Cache, 500GB SATA, 8GB DDR3

Hopefully this will solve the issues

That's a lot of horsepower for someone with only 3500 orders of history… You can always throw hardware at the problem, but you'll be better served following the recommendation above. I'm sure your host is more than happy to sell you a bigger system. But some tuning would reap you much greater rewards in the long run. All you need is more memory and some tuning.

Thanks tbirnseth, I will look into this and find someone that will take a look, in the mean time at least it will solve my issue.

I think I needed to upgrade anyway as we are just about to launch another website on the same server so at least it will help across the board.

[quote name='fwaTony' timestamp='1399233867' post='182888']

No we are on a Dedicated. 2.7GHz, 2mb Cache, 250GB SATA, 2GB DDR3

What server are you on CarStickersDecals?

[/quote]

We are running the Xeon 5520 8 x 2.00GHz+HT 16 GB Ram and dual 120 SSD's… Ask about SSD's…

The SSD's made the most improvement all on there own… They cut out SQL query times in half…

[quote name='CarStickersDecals' timestamp='1399256122' post='182900']

We are running the Xeon 5520 8 x 2.00GHz+HT 16 GB Ram and dual 120 SSD's… Ask about SSD's…

The SSD's made the most improvement all on there own… They cut out SQL query times in half…

[/quote]

That is the type of advice that I was looking for and I think a lot of other people will find this useful. Thanks.