• Members
  • 1062 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:48 PM #21

Measured Speed (using 56k modem connection): 3.03 sec :shock:

• Zyles
  • Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:16 PM #22

Speed performance tests on a non-loaded cart proves nothing...

We are talking about 5000+ daily uniques, countless of SQL connections, huge amounts of HTML code, with multiple layers of code being served out at once.

Not a single speed test connection. This is far beyond optimizing images. :)
Marketing tip:

Did you know a targeted e-mail marketing campaign can bring conversion rates up to 3.9%? By using reliable e-mail marketing software you can upsell to existing customers on a tight budget. If you are not using e-mail marketing you are missing out big time. I recommend and use Aweber.

• TonyK
  • Members
  • 1686 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 12:49 AM #23

Are you using the html catalog or the SEO urls?

Speed test results:

URL: http://backissues.gatefold.com
Measured Speed (using 10 mbps T3 connection): 3.44 sec

http://www.vertain.com/?sst

seems pretty good to me (i am of course looking forward to less tables, etc...)
but I do think the server has a lot to do with it. My server currently has 200+ domains on it, the store is a "hobby"
:P

Pimpin' skins since v1.0

• MikeFold
  • Members
  • 1034 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:03 PM #24

seo urls....some sort of zlib compression, and some other "stuff" my host did.
to optimize speed knowing all the processes this cart needs.
I have been with National Net for over 10 years...they take good care of me.
:P

Zardos:

Measured Speed (using 56k modem connection): 3.03 sec :shock:

That must be on the landing page for the PRIMARY domain...www
[SIZE="1"]Seamlessly Upgraded to 1.3.5sp4 from 1.3.4sp3
Live: Playboy Collectors Gallery
(Adult)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]LOOKING FOR A FEW COPIES OF THE NEW LITHUANIA PLAYBOY ISSUES...AND COLOMBIA ISSUES.....
FEEL FREE TO Private Message Me....THANKS[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]Slightly Modded Default Red | Zardos Lightbox | Sitemap | Multicards Payment Mod |
Cart & Checkout Pages Modified |
[/SIZE]

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:16 PM #25

This box is setup right. CS is just a pig.

Ryan,

Hello. I am sorry for the troubles you seem to be having and it reminds me when I first started out with CS-Cart. I am currently running my implementation on a Dell XPS 1.8GHz box with 2GB of ram (Fedora Core 6) and my install ran slow at the beginning as well. However, after some digging I found a few changes that really made my install just hum along:

1. I implemented MySQL caching (in /etc/my.cnf) with the following settings:

query-cache-size = 128M

2. I also enabled various compression/cache settings for my Apache installation:

DeflateCompressionLevel 6
BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html
BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip
BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html
DeflateFilterNote Input instream
DeflateFilterNote Output outstream
DeflateFilterNote Ratio ratio
LogFormat '"%r" %{outstream}n/%{instream}n (%{ratio}n%%)' deflate

ExpiresByType text/html "access plus 1 day"
ExpiresByType text/css "access plus 1 day"
ExpiresByType text/javascript "access plus 1 day"
ExpiresByType text/plain "access plus 1 day"
ExpiresByType text/richtext "access plus 1 day"
ExpiresByType image/gif "access plus 1 day"
ExpiresByType image/bmp "access plus 1 day"
ExpiresByType image/jpeg "access plus 1 day"
ExpiresByType image/png "access plus 1 day"

ExpiresActive On
<IfModule mod_cache.c>
<IfModule mod_mem_cache.c>
CacheEnable mem /
MCacheSize 524288
MCacheRemovalAlgorithm LRU
MCacheMaxObjectCount 20000
MCacheMinObjectSize 1
MCacheMaxObjectSize 10240
</IfModule>
</IfModule>

Once I implemented these changes, my cart was just SCREAMING along and cut my page load time in half. I hope you have better luck going forward.

Cheers,
Travis
cs-cart 1.3.5 sp2!!!! finally!!!!
;)

• Guest_Unregistered_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2007 - 03:13 AM #26

Your front page took 8 seconds to load from start to finish. then i click on speakers took 6 seconds.

Uh I think i killed your sever....it's not responding now... :(

His front page loaded completely in 1.7 seconds. Any other page was instantaneous. Great site by the way SWS.

• illusion
  • Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 01:43 PM #27

Just for the record. Last week, following an ad campaign, we had nearly 9.000 unique visitors. I said unique, not proxy-related visitors!

Our cart just choked on our dedicated server in Oslo, a town with one of the best cable networks in Scandinavia.

The cart was beyond sluggish - it froze! Then we unloaded every module that was not vital, and it started to respond, but barely. So we got the taste of what a heavy query can be like. Rendering all those tables isn't a joke either. It had never happened to us with any of the carts we have used, even though we had similar traffic at times.

I personally dream about the day I can develop a shop like this:

Komplett.no

TOTALLY free from tables. View their code, or better BEHOLD their code!!! These guys have a incredible amount of traffic coming in daily. Surely someone there got serious about abolishing unnecessary code as it costs money.

• bholland
  • Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 01:34 AM #28

Hi Illusion,

Sorry to hear about your site. I guessing though that the front end code has little do with what brought your site/server down. The intensive SQL going on in the background is probably the root of the problem. Perhaps CS wants to weigh in here?

B

• MikeK
  • Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 06:00 PM #29

CS-Cart has once again done the unthinkable. They listened to their customers and are in the process of correcting the problem. As noted by Zeke in this post, http://forum.cs-cart...169&postcount=9, they are nearly finished converting all of the skins to CSS. That alone is bound to have a significant increase in performance. I'm sure there will still be lots of areas for improvement, but this is a major step in the right direction by a company that really listens to it's customers.

Posted 10 September 2007 - 01:05 AM #30

CS-Cart has once again done the unthinkable. They listened to their customers and are in the process of correcting the problem. As noted by Zeke in this post, http://forum.cs-cart...169&postcount=9, they are nearly finished converting all of the skins to CSS. That alone is bound to have a significant increase in performance. I'm sure there will still be lots of areas for improvement, but this is a major step in the right direction by a company that really listens to it's customers.

And I'm the poor soul using brickwork dark steel :(
I've moved on from CS-Cart to WooC******** - If you need anything I can be of little help.

• illusion
  • Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:36 AM #31

Hi Illusion,

Sorry to hear about your site. I guessing though that the front end code has little do with what brought your site/server down. The intensive SQL going on in the background is probably the root of the problem. Perhaps CS wants to weigh in here?

B

Yes, it's true. The overwhelming amount of queries is the beast that needs to be tamed. But we can't turn away from images stored on database at the time, so we're looking into upgrading our server.

Maybe when we have a little spare time and cs-cart goes a little further in their development, we go for a version upgrade. It will take time though...

• Guest_Unregistered_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:16 PM #32

Your front page took 8 seconds to load from start to finish. then i click on speakers took 6 seconds.

Uh I think i killed your sever....it's not responding now... :(

Hi,

I`m in Japan with 100Mbps fiber optic, but it goeas through my router which slows down to 54Mbps. Your side works great and very fast loads. Images are in seconds (not 6even) maybe 1sec.
No problem from my side :)

• russ1106
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 10:47 PM #33

I have tried a ton of carts and I personally like this one the best myself. Yes granted, the front page loads a little slow on my 20mbit connection but its not horrible.

• Guest_Unregistered_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2007 - 02:31 PM #34

When is this going to happen? We're now in October. I have a FreeLancer trying to convince me to get this shopping cart. I currently have OSC. Im skeptical after reading this thread. I don't want to waste more time than I already have on OSC.

• Guest_cscartuser_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:53 PM #35

Here's my .02 on the cart...

First of all, the server I am using CS-cart on is a dedicated server with an AMD Athlon X2 3800+ with 4GB of DDR2, 120GB 7200RPM.

For the most part, the cart has manageable & has tolerable speed. Some areas such as checkout can be improved slightly since a faster checkout = a happier customer.

The area that I feel needs MAJOR improvements is the search products.php files. This area is notoriously slow, especially for catalogs with over 1000+ items in a category. If that section were benchmarked, the processing time would be somewhere on the order of O(n^2). I have about 2000 items in one category, paginated to 20 items page. It takes about 4 - 6 seconds from the time I click on category to when the page finally STARTS loading.

I have a couple of ideas that can improve the sql queries in the search .php files:

1) Cache the SQL queries & results in a table. Perform a lookup next time if queries are matched and use results from table. Clear out the table anytime a product is added/modified/deleted.

2) Break up the 1000 character SQL query into smaller, tiered queries.

3) Optimize the search file into dedicated functional blocks. If I click on a store category, I only want products that are assigned to that categories. Thus the script would trim all irrelevant SQL conditions.

• caspara
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 07:45 AM #36

I use shared hosting for cs-cart (bluehost.com). Upon UNCHECKING (turning off) this option in your control panel:

Administration | Settings |

Use temporary tables during product search/catalog browsing (increases performance)

Searches have been much, much quicker (as to my initial and others contrary thoughts). Try this before overhyping the idea that this is bloated software. BTW, I have 15,000 products and all is well so far.

Chris

www.caspara.com

• clips
  • Aged Resident Loon
  • Members
  • 1650 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:05 AM #37

I use shared hosting for cs-cart (bluehost.com). Upon UNCHECKING (turning off) this option in your control panel:

Administration | Settings |

Use temporary tables during product search/catalog browsing (increases performance)

Searches have been much, much quicker (as to my initial and others contrary thoughts). Try this before overhyping the idea that this is bloated software. BTW, I have 15,000 products and all is well so far.

Chris

www.caspara.com

While your site does load faster, keep in mind that you have edited your site to take out some of the database contacts which is primarily what slows down CS. Since you took out both the left and right side of the shopping cart your pages do load faster.

It would be great if you listed how you edited out the side bars so others can try it. Right now the reason CS seems so "bloated" is because they try to contact the database WAY to many times...at least in my worthless opinion.
Regards,
Jim

• nevsie
  • Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:03 PM #38

just chiming in on my opinion... the cart itself is not meant to be a one size fits all cart. It is not targeted to be the biggest and best out there for business with extremely high levels of traffic, sales, and products... If you business is of this scale - then surely you are taking any products (probably not a $250 one) as a starting point (or starting from scratch) and custom building / re-building to meet your needs. Yes this will involve remove modules you don't use, customising the search to your product type, etc, etc, etc. You optimise the cart to your needs, not just buy a bigger better server...

On the server side of things, i have seen this run on multiple shared hosts (typically reseller sub accounts), Virtual private servers, and dedicated boxes, all with varying traffic loads. Typically the biggest delay is on the SQL queries - often because of the amount of queries, but also often because shared hosts tend have dedicated servers for the databases and these are overloaded with queries... You will notice on shared hosts that static sites still run lightening quick, while dynamic ones stutter...

When is comes to the VPS, and Dedi boxes, in high load periods often it is not the server that is causing the delay, but the pipe connecting the server to the network... Therefore, the network is as big a factor as the server.... Even to the level of running traceroutes and finding out that somewhere in the 15-30 hops between the client and the server packets get dropped...

Anyway, overview... The cart could be optimised (code, templates and sql queries)... This is an ongoing process that is as important as the other rants for new features.
The server you put it on could always be optimised... No one ecomm has the same setup requirements, you need to tweak it to that site and customer base...
Check your network - you would be surprised how often this is the error....

And finally be realistic... A $250 cart is a very minimal expense if you are getting near 10,000 uniques a day. Average conversion rate of 5% - 500 orders... 500 orders at a guessed profit of $10 is $5000... you end up buying the cart 20 times over per day!!!
Re-invest to tweak it to your needs if your levels are as high as you claim!

• MikeK
  • Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 07:19 PM #39

Nevsie is exactly right. There are a couple of things that can really drag on performance. One of the biggest is loading images into the database. If you're doing this you should switch over to the file system. You'll see a pretty big speed gain. As far as slowness being caused by the host or server there's so much truth to that I don't even know where to start.

When your website is hosted on the same hard drive as four or five hundred other sites it's hard for all of the data to flow through one single cable at the same time. A host with only a few sites on each server is almost certainly going to perform better than one of the big boys, (like GoDaddy). If you're on a VPS, you're still constrained by how much data can be pushed through the cable. If you're running a big site with lots of traffic, get your own dedicated server. It costs more, but if you want to run with the big dogs........

The flip side is, to make a profit on a server with only a few websites, small web hosts (like me) can't afford to host for $2.95 a month. We charge $20 a month, but you get the legendary service and support that only a small company can offer. For example, if you call at 3 AM, I'm going to answer the phone. Yes you'll wake me up, but I will get up and fix your problem. Unlike the big boys, I don't throttle data throughput either. Throttling is a little trick "they" like to use to make sure everyone gets their slice of the available bandwidth. It's like those traffic meters on the freeway they turn on during the commute hours.

• bazzaretta
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:23 AM #40

i have my own box. i also tried startlogic and it wasnt good there either. For the money I wish I tried X-Cart. I think that was actually programmed out of the box, rather than some people using smarty php to throw together a shopping cart.

Sure it's "out of the box" - the washing detergent box that is.:D