• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Product options won't hide themselves when sold-out or out of stock!!!! Rate Topic   - - - - -

• illusion
  • Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 03:01 PM #1

Hi,

I'm having a biig problem and I'm wondering if anyone else here stumbled into the same issue.

I'm the admin for a shop and have disabled "Show out of stock products" by unchecking the check-box here:

Settings > General > Catalog > Show out of stock products (which is listed last and is a check-box)

A happy customer named Jane is browsing through my shop. She's viewing a product detail page, and the product happen to have a few sizes. When she clicks on a size, she gets a error message in a big red box telling:

"Unfortunately the [product name] is sold out..."

Jane gives up on the product she really wanted to have, even though she was ready to buy a little tighter size, because she really liked that top.

She liked it so much that she's not interested in anything else, and leaves the shop because "who knows, maybe I can find the same top somewhere else..."

THE END! >> the admin hangs himself and is ready to die!!!

There are two problems here:

1. The sold-out size should not even be listed in the list menu. But it is and Jane could add it to the cart - but of course she'll get an error. That would not happen if the size (product option) wasn't listed.
2. The error message tells me that the [product name] is sold out, which is not true as there are a few other sizes still available!!

Screenshot:
http://www.illusionn...ldout_sizes.gif

I find it unacceptable that product options can't be hidden if they are sold out. The unchecked "Show out of stock products" check-box should HIDE all sold-out/out of stock products.

I'm wondering if anyone else here ran into the same trouble, and if you did, how did you mend it?

Really appreciate some feedback as I have more than half of my store closed for this very reason. There's even another problem that's related but I just don't have the time to mention now, have to go. Will come back tomorrow and mention it too.

Cheers

• Zyles
  • Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 03:41 PM #2

I have the same issue. I hope CS-Cart fixes until next version.
Marketing tip:

Did you know a targeted e-mail marketing campaign can bring conversion rates up to 3.9%? By using reliable e-mail marketing software you can upsell to existing customers on a tight budget. If you are not using e-mail marketing you are missing out big time. I recommend and use Aweber.

• illusion
  • Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:26 AM #3

Absolutely ALL products that have SIZE as product option but have only ONE SIZE available return an "out of stock" error even though they are on stock. The irony is that if they wouldn't be on stock they wouldn't show, but they do show and still return an error when added to cart...

All this happens while having the interesting "show out of stock products" disabled.

But Zyles, I'm curious to know if you have found a way to make this issue look "less bad" (as "better" here doesn't make justice to it). And I'm curious to know if you have the same issue I just mentioned on this second post.

• Zyles
  • Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 09:54 AM #4

Yes I do and no I have not found a decent fix yet, and have not had time to fix it myself.
Marketing tip:

Did you know a targeted e-mail marketing campaign can bring conversion rates up to 3.9%? By using reliable e-mail marketing software you can upsell to existing customers on a tight budget. If you are not using e-mail marketing you are missing out big time. I recommend and use Aweber.

• bobekk
  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 02:26 PM #5

damn that option is one of the major functions i needed in my roller shop...:/

• MikeFold
  • Members
  • 1034 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 03:02 PM #6

I'm not positive if I understand the question correctly, but...
I have anywhere from 4 to 24 options for a variety of products
(I chose a simple 7 option product for this example)
When a customer looks at the detail page, when the option is selected, it displays the out of stock 'text' (in my case Temporary Unavailable)
When the selection option is in stock, it displays it as well as the corresponding price:
Marilyn Monroe 1st Issue
I need the customer to know that other options (grades) are available with the corresponding price, so (in my case) I would not like the option to not list in the select box.
I also use radiogroup boxes for options with 2 or more combinations.
Playmate Puzzle
Again, the customer needs to know the possible combinations and prices, but it displays to the customer whether or not the item is in stock and available.
[SIZE="1"]Seamlessly Upgraded to 1.3.5sp4 from 1.3.4sp3
Live: Playboy Collectors Gallery
(Adult)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]LOOKING FOR A FEW COPIES OF THE NEW LITHUANIA PLAYBOY ISSUES...AND COLOMBIA ISSUES.....
FEEL FREE TO Private Message Me....THANKS[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]Slightly Modded Default Red | Zardos Lightbox | Sitemap | Multicards Payment Mod |
Cart & Checkout Pages Modified |
[/SIZE]

• bobekk
  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:29 PM #7

is that option is added to 1.3.5 ?

• illusion
  • Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 12:07 PM #8

Yes, MikeFold, that was one of the arguments CS-Cart used when trying to convince us as for why the system is as it is by default. If you combine product options, then it can be complicated (but not theoretically impossible) for CS-Cart to separate things right. Basically nothing is impossible within programming.

In the end we paid for development so that we would have that feature. We have only one product option per product and it's now working fine for us. Whatever is not on stock will not show on the store, be it a product option or not.

I don't have much of a clue about what support did to accomplish that, otherwise I'd have posted the solution here.

@ bobekk:
I don't know about 1.3.5 because we haven't tested it yet.

Cheers

• bpaulette
  • Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:20 PM #9

Eh.. options options options! I just submitted a mod request to deal with our options and inventory tracking issues. Hopefully they'll be able to do something for us

Off-topic - Illusion - nice looking store man. I'm sure after a while, you probably get totally immune to it, but as a guy who works with a store full of computer parts all day / every day, the thought of working with a product catalog full of hot models in tight clothes sure sounds nice! :D ;) (not to mention MikeFold's store ... lucky jerks! ;) )
----------------------------
CS-Cart v. 1.3.4 sp2

Dell PowerEdge Servers and Server Parts & Accessories

• illusion
  • Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:15 AM #10

Off-topic - Illusion - nice looking store man. I'm sure after a while, you probably get totally immune to it, but as a guy who works with a store full of computer parts all day / every day, the thought of working with a product catalog full of hot models in tight clothes sure sounds nice! (not to mention MikeFold's store ... lucky jerks! )

Hehehe... I know what you mean, and thanks god I'm not immune to it yet, nor am I planning to be. These models are very, very hot.

I'm not as lucky as MikeFolds though, who seems to be deep into the business (look at his avatar - she is famous!!). Now THAT is to be lucky. Who knows what goes on in the "backend"!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

• bobekk
  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:12 AM #11

any info about that matter?

i have lets say shoes with sizes 40,41,42,43.(all with only 1 amount per size)

Customer will buy 42 size but after that size 42 is still avivable in selectbox even if invetory is 42=0, its just simply show 0 inventory message......damn that option need to be hidden!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not positive if I understand the question correctly, but...
I have anywhere from 4 to 24 options for a variety of products
(I chose a simple 7 option product for this example)
When a customer looks at the detail page, when the option is selected, it displays the out of stock 'text' (in my case Temporary Unavailable)
When the selection option is in stock, it displays it as well as the corresponding price:
Marilyn Monroe 1st Issue
I need the customer to know that other options (grades) are available with the corresponding price, so (in my case) I would not like the option to not list in the select box.
I also use radiogroup boxes for options with 2 or more combinations.
Playmate Puzzle
Again, the customer needs to know the possible combinations and prices, but it displays to the customer whether or not the item is in stock and available.

o my that can solve my problem. Can u explain me like for a dumb person how u do that?
I mean that out of stock message to appear when option is not avivable.

Thnx

• MikeFold
  • Members
  • 1034 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 01:26 PM #12

bobekk,
you mean the actual text? i changed that in Language variable
text_out_of_stock
[SIZE="1"]Seamlessly Upgraded to 1.3.5sp4 from 1.3.4sp3
Live: Playboy Collectors Gallery
(Adult)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]LOOKING FOR A FEW COPIES OF THE NEW LITHUANIA PLAYBOY ISSUES...AND COLOMBIA ISSUES.....
FEEL FREE TO Private Message Me....THANKS[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]Slightly Modded Default Red | Zardos Lightbox | Sitemap | Multicards Payment Mod |
Cart & Checkout Pages Modified |
[/SIZE]

• bobekk
  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 06:25 PM #13

sorry MikeFold for trouble but i managed to do it and after testing i still need option to vanish once its being sold out...

• grayloon
  • Members
  • 450 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:16 PM #14

I'd like to see the feature as well. It's basically creating exceptions on-the-fly. Anyone care to write a mod?
7 CS-Cart licenses - 2.2 through 4.2

• Mad Monkey
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:25 PM #15

any one figure this out yet?

i need this for a lingerie store we are working on

• jkohns
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:14 PM #16

I've run into a similar situation in modding my satore, and thought I'd share...

First, I should mention that perhaps removing a sold out option is not the best way to go about this- by presenting the option and marking it as "temporarily unvailable", "out of stock", etc. the customer knows that you still may carry that size/option in the future, and may request to be notified when the size/option is back in stock.

Mike's solution of changing the text_out_of_stock variable to something that suggests the user "Try another..." is smart and simple, and I suggest it if you're not comfortable modding your store.

if you *must* remove the option, follow on...

find /classes/scripts/exceptions.js

and add a function to the end of it:

function setReady(id){
   // go through the product amounts (pr_a) array
   for(var k in pr_a[id]){
	  // get this options amount
      var am = pr_a[id][k]['amount'];
      if(am < 1){ // are there less than 1 available?
         var oopts = k.split('|'); 
		 // break out each option id and value in the combo
		 // this part isn't necessary, but was in the more complex version
         for(var o in oopts){
            var oo = oopts[o].split(':'); // split the option_id from the value
            if(oo.length < 2) continue;
            var oid = oo[0];
            var oval = oo[1];
            var t = document.getElementById('option_'+id+'_'+oid);
            if(t.type == 'select-one'){ // make sure it's a select box
               for(var i=0; i<t.options.length; i++){
                  if(t.options[i].value == oval){
                     t.remove(i); // remove it!
                     break;
                  }
               }
            }
         }
      }
   }
}

next, in /skins/YOUR_TEMPLATE/customer/product_pages/product_options.tpl

find the bit at the end:

{if $settings.Appearance.show_prices_taxed_clean == 'Y' || $location == 'cart'}
	{include file="products_pages/product_taxes.tpl" id=$id}
{/if}

//]]>
</script>
{/if}

and add a line like so:

{if $settings.Appearance.show_prices_taxed_clean == 'Y' || $location == 'cart'}
	{include file="products_pages/product_taxes.tpl" id=$id}
{/if}

[B][COLOR="Blue"]setReady({$id});[/COLOR][/B]
//]]>
</script>
{/if}

Now for the warnings, notes, and exceptions....

First, this is really only suited for products with one option- for example, if you sell t-shirts in small, medium, large and x-large and are sold out of the large, it will remove the large option from the select box.

BUT, if you sell shoes in sizes: small, medium and large and widths: wide and x-wide, and are sold out of medium x-wides, it would remove BOTH the medium and x-wide options (which you don't want)

"But WHY would you give us this code, if it is so limited?" you ask...

Because it's a simplification of the mod I've done on my store, and I since I'd done the javascript for that, I thought I'd share.

My solution is not to remove any options, but rather to indicate when an option is sold out, but also make sure that the default selection is not a combination that is sold out.

When a customer is looking at your products, and the default combination is sold out, it might make them think the whole range is sold out, not just that particular combo of options. By making sure that the default combo shown is in stock, a customer may be more likely to explore, and perhaps buy the next size, etc.

However, this version of the scripting takes modifications in several files, and is more complex than I care to go on about in this post.

Any questions? Feel free to PM me.

• pbradish
  • Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:44 PM #17

Thank you, jkohns. This is *almost* exactly what we're looking for.

It works on about 90% of our products, but the others unfortunately have more than one option (both size and color).

Is there any way (free or paid) to take this mod one step further?

• topix
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:22 PM #18

Could this be modified to work with radio button groups also?

• James R
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:00 AM #19

Was a solution found for this issue in later versions of the cart?

• indy0077
  • Banned
  • 1431 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 12:52 PM #20

Was a solution found for this issue in later versions of the cart?

Hi James, have a look at the date of this thread. I guess that has been fixed in new versions.
CS-Cart Professional €160.00 | CS-Cart Multi-Vendor €625.00 | CS-Cart Hosting | SSL Certificates
CS-Cart Optimized Servers *** USA & UK VPS Servers