• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to Speed Up and Optimise CS-Cart Version 4? Rate Topic   * * * * * 1 votes

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:36 PM #61

Use Amazon CloudFront CDN

I looked into this and even signed up for Amazon CloudFront but could find no instructions anywhere on how to set it up.

• Magpie Don
  • Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:50 PM #62

These are the 6 items you need to focus on:
Leverage browser caching
Minify JavaScript
Optimize images
Minify CSS
Use Amazon CloudFront CDN
Server response time slow

Other than a minor image optimization, I believe that all of KingsleyPress's files that don't have caching (Expires headers) problems & his JS and CSS files that won't minify are coming from 3rd party domains. This is a common problem.
Remember, the GTMetrix report is only a guideline.
You can see the same results at Pingdom: http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/dxhTT6/http://www.kingsleypress.com
Those first two CSS and JS scripts are always a problem. They just are not minified on the fly by SmartOptimizer.

CS-Cart Ultimate ver 4.9.3 SP1

• mrfoameruk
  • Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:55 PM #63

I looked into this and even signed up for Amazon CloudFront but could find no instructions anywhere on how to set it up.

This might help https://www.cs-cart...._settings_2.htm
and in backend it administration/storage/cdn settings
http://UKBeading.co.uk.....one day I will get round to it and stop playing......

cs cart 4.1.4

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:02 PM #64

This might help http://www.cs-cart.c..._settings_2.htm
and in backend it administration/storage/cdn settings

Yeah, that was one of the things I looked at but there's not enough information.

• knoxbury
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:15 PM #65

The problem I've found in setting up Amazon CDN with CS-Cart is that CS requires giving out a secret key which Amazon says not to give to 3rd parties.

• tbirnseth
  • CS Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 11333 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:51 PM #66

What 3rd party are you giving your credentials to? The software resides on your server, I don't think you're providing your credentials to any outside source.

EZ Merchant Solutions: Custom (USA based) B2B Development, Consulting, Development and Special Projects (get a quote here).
Commercial addons, payment methods and modifications to meet your business and operations needs.

• knoxbury
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:52 PM #67

What 3rd party are you giving your credentials to? The software resides on your server, I don't think you're providing your credentials to any outside source.

It's visible to CS-Cart support.

• tbirnseth
  • CS Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 11333 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:20 PM #68

Only if you give them access to your site. Put them in an administrators group that doesn't give them access to that particular addon.
Would recommend NOT leaving any support account turned on all the time?

EZ Merchant Solutions: Custom (USA based) B2B Development, Consulting, Development and Special Projects (get a quote here).
Commercial addons, payment methods and modifications to meet your business and operations needs.

• knoxbury
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:22 PM #69

I often have to give them FTP access... and in that case, admin groups don't help. They can see everything.

• tbirnseth
  • CS Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 11333 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:26 PM #70

Again, turn off/on the access.
FTP will not give them access to addon settings stored in the DB unless the DB has been exported to the filesystem (I.e. a backup).

Not trying to be combative, but access keys are intended to be used by software and software needs to be supported. If you do not trust your support staff (internal or external) then you have bigger issues than your cloud credentials.....

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:28 PM #71

Not trying to be combative, but access keys are intended to be used by software and software needs to be supported. If you do not trust your support staff (internal or external) then you have bigger issues than your cloud credentials.....

My thoughts exactly.

• knoxbury
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:28 PM #72

We'll disagree. If they have FTP access, they can see anything they want. I've given them FTP access before and they've performed admin functions. As for trusting ... no I don't trust CS-Cart support, or Magento support, or any other support.

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:56 PM #73

Update:
I updated CS-Cart to 4.1.5 and my page load time went down to 2.61 seconds. Previously it was over 6 seconds.

• jimmyod
  • Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:59 PM #74

Update:
I updated CS-Cart to 4.1.5 and my page load time went down to 2.61 seconds. Previously it was over 6 seconds.

WOW, that sounds exciting.Can't wait for my update to arrive.

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:02 PM #75

I just enabled Amazon CDN and now I have an A A on GTMetrix!! (91% and 92%).

• knoxbury
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:04 PM #76

Do you have to upload all your images to CDN or does the CS-cart app automatically replicate them?

I just enabled Amazon CDN and now I have an A A on GTMetrix!! (91% and 92%).

• tbirnseth
  • CS Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 11333 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:07 PM #77

Please report any change in sales as a result. Statistics of performance are wonderful and you can chase them till the cows come home. But the goal should be what increases sales in the long term and rankings in the short term. If it makes no difference then you are wasting your time unless you like playing with your site and getting a high score. But if that score doesn't increase your bottom line then it's an exercise. Let us know if that 91/92 changes your ranking in search results.

Posted 29 May 2014 - 01:11 AM #78

Do you have to upload all your images to CDN or does the CS-cart app automatically replicate them?

I just entered my AWS key and secret key into CS-Cart and it did the rest. Took about 10-15 minutes for the stuff to transfer. Seemed almost too simple to be true.

Posted 29 May 2014 - 01:24 AM #79

We would also like to know real world results. Those affecting the bottom line. Otherwise just wasting time and money.

Elkhorn Graphics LLC
Cs-Cart 4.7.1  SP3

Posted 29 May 2014 - 01:26 AM #80

Please report any change in sales as a result. Statistics of performance are wonderful and you can chase them till the cows come home. But the goal should be what increases sales in the long term and rankings in the short term. If it makes no difference then you are wasting your time unless you like playing with your site and getting a high score. But if that score doesn't increase your bottom line then it's an exercise. Let us know if that 91/92 changes your ranking in search results.

Thanks for your input Tony. I agree that the goal is more sales. And I doubt the speed increase will help my rankings. However, I have read that search engines could start penalizing slow loading sites. And I've seen a lot on these forums and other places about the importance of site speed for customer retention.

I think the bottom line is that one shouldn't focus exclusively on one area of a site's performance to the neglect of others. One could spend a lot of time focusing on SEO and get lots of traffic but then have a high bounce rate because of a slow loading site. And as you say, one could spend a lot of time on getting faster loading times, but neglect SEO and other methods of increasing traffic to the site. I'm sure that over the years I've spent 100 or perhaps even 1,000 times more time and effort on SEO and other traffic-driving strategies than I have on site loading times. I just see the latter as one more thing to help the overall performance of my store.