• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Phone Orders-How do you do it? Rate Topic   - - - - -

• pbannette
  • Members
  • 1036 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:42 PM #1

Hi,
I occasionally receive requests for phone orders. I ask why they don't order on line. Some find it difficult and have problems. I till them I will go on line and place the order for you. This is fine for some customers.

For others, they don't order on line because they don't want to enter credit card info on line. I suggest Pay by Check or Money Order. They want to order and not wait for us to get the check. They want to pay off-line. I have to be honest with them and tell them I place phone orders on line. I use cre-secure, so the information is not stored or transmitted by the cart.
I also suggest that I can place the order on line, and use pay by check method, just to generate the invoice. Has to be on line since I have no way of calculating shipping off-line, and also group discounts, taxes, etc. I will then have to use a virtual terminal to log in and process their order. They do not want that either-nothing with putting information on line.

I lost two orders like this during the week. I could just take the order and not tell them anything, however I personally cannot do this once I find out the reason for not placing the order themself. How do they think the information is getting to the merchant account?
What other methods are there for processing credit cards by phone and still maintain PCI compliant. Even just logging in from my home office to a virtual terminal would require certain protection measures for PCI compliance, including scanning my Verizon Router along with my cs-cart website. I did do that when processing Credit cards via QuickBooks from home office for 6 months. I gave that up and went to all third party processing.
How do you process phone orders (if not via CS-Cart) and remain PCI compliant?
Thanks,
Bob

Version CS-Cart 4.3.5

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:31 PM #2

Try using this free invoicing website: http://invoiceable.co/

I use it for sending quotes and offline payments.

John
John Carroll
My Webshop: Alpha Spas

• BarryH
  • Members
  • 1459 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:06 PM #3

Hi Bob

We don't handle credit cards directly either so it's a nuisance when there is a phone order. Have never had a customer that was reluctant for us to process the payment directly into a virtual terminal - perhaps its the way we explain to them (never thought about it before maybe they think we're putting it into a card machine). Anyway, as long as we don't write down, or record anywhere, any credit card details we remain PCI compliant.

In order to get the order totals, customer discounts etc we create the order in cscart admin first, select credit card as the payment method, then select create, not create and process, and then leave the order in the open status until the payment part of things has been sorted out. Once the payment has gone through we manually change the status to processed.

If customers are that desperate to pay offline then maybe they should pay a visit to the high street - after all both parties of an online purchase are trusting the other to fulfill their obligation in each transaction.

Barry

BarryH

CS-Cart v4.4.3 (Plus one being developed v4.5.2 SP2)
UK User

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:22 PM #4

We don't handle credit cards directly either so it's a nuisance when there is a phone order. Have never had a customer that was reluctant for us to process the payment directly into a virtual terminal - perhaps its the way we explain to them (never thought about it before maybe they think we're putting it into a card machine). Anyway, as long as we don't write down, or record anywhere, any credit card details we remain PCI compliant.

We just place the order through the website as if they were doing it themselves. We never write anything down, like Barry says, and therefore remain compliant.

• pbannette
  • Members
  • 1036 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:59 PM #5

Kingsleypress,
Yes, I do the same as you, however, when I tell them I will place on line for them, they won't proceed with the order..
To do the order on line, using a payment method of Phone order and then having to log into a virtual terminal later is additional steps I don't want. I would have to write down the cc information temporarily, in order to use the virtual terminal.
I guess I just have to accept losing orders due to PCI compliance and the inability to process cards without using online methods, either via the cart or a virtual terminal.
Thanks for your input.
Bob

Version CS-Cart 4.3.5

• Magpie Don
  • Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:39 PM #6

I ALWAYS write down the information they give me over the phone, and read it back to them as I enter it into the Virtual Terminal. If I have a mistake in any of the info, having it written down provides a quick reference, instead of them repeating the info over again.
After the transaction is approved, the note with the info goes into the shredder.

I encourage the customer to create an account online and choose Phone Order as the payment method so they receive an invoice via email, but if they refuse to create an account for their own Luddite privacy concerns, I will create an account for them in the back end accounting software, enter their order (get an approval via the Virtual Terminal) and print an invoice there.

You do use accounting software for your "business" don't you? That's the software that accounts for all your business expenses (like your home office expenses, utilities, postage, and office supplies.)

CS-Cart Ultimate ver 4.9.3 SP1