• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tip: V4 Create Popups using JQuery Rate Topic   * * * * * 2 votes

• StellarBytes
  • Members
  • 1807 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:19 PM #1

A nice little trick for V4. Create neat popups using jQuery, without any template edits or other modifications, it's so simple! I was asked for this by a forum member last week but had not looked into it for V4. I recall this being used for the original "terms and conditions" pop-up link, which I had adapted and used in V2 for other purposes, but now I thought I would port it across to V4. The original V2 and subsequently V3 versions of this do not work, because syntax and class names have evolved. I thought I'd share this simple yet very effective little piece of code here...

Here's what you need to do:-

Create a new 'HTML Block'. For the content, use something like this:-

<a data-ca-target-id="popup-1" class="cm-dialog-opener cm-dialog-auto-size">click here for popup</a>
<div class="product-options hidden" id="popup-1" title="Title of Pop Up">
<p>More content here, this is the body of the popup.</p>
</div>
That's it. So simple, yet so effective! The pop-up size can be hardcoded (ie. in the <div> set a style="width:500px") or leave it as it is and the pop-up automatically resizes as per the content in the <div>. Magic!

If you want to add more popups to a page, just ensure the ID ("popup-1") matches in both the <a> and the <div>.

Better still...if you're smart, you can use the HTML Block with Smarty Support to fill your popup with literally any content you wish (products, categories, anything!).

Demo: See the CS-Cart demo, click the Terms and Conditions link in Checkout Step 4. Or see my attachment for a quick view of how it looks without any custom styling.
Attached File  popup.png   65.98KB   196 downloads
Hire StellarBytes for CS-Cart Design & Development Services

• Scott_C
  • Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:30 AM #2

Nice. Good tip.

• vanderex
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:09 PM #3

A nice little trick for V4. Create neat popups using jQuery, without any template edits or other modifications, it's so simple! I was asked for this by a forum member last week but had not looked into it for V4. I recall this being used for the original "terms and conditions" pop-up link, which I had adapted and used in V2 for other purposes, but now I thought I would port it across to V4. The original V2 and subsequently V3 versions of this do not work, because syntax and class names have evolved. I thought I'd share this simple yet very effective little piece of code here...

Here's what you need to do:-

Create a new 'HTML Block'. For the content, use something like this:-

<a data-ca-target-id="popup-1" class="cm-dialog-opener cm-dialog-auto-size">click here for popup</a>
<div class="product-options hidden" id="popup-1" title="Title of Pop Up">
<p>More content here, this is the body of the popup.</p>
</div>
That's it. So simple, yet so effective! The pop-up size can be hardcoded (ie. in the <div> set a style="width:500px") or leave it as it is and the pop-up automatically resizes as per the content in the <div>. Magic!

If you want to add more popups to a page, just ensure the ID ("popup-1") matches in both the <a> and the <div>.

Better still...if you're smart, you can use the HTML Block with Smarty Support to fill your popup with literally any content you wish (products, categories, anything!).

Demo: See the CS-Cart demo, click the Terms and Conditions link in Checkout Step 4. Or see my attachment for a quick view of how it looks without any custom styling.
Attached File  popup.png   65.98KB   196 downloads

you mean call it with

?

how baout passing info to the popup ? can this be done ?

is this the fadeover popup or a REAL popup ?

i need a modal window popup
Get Cost Effective Content Delivery CDN
Unbeatable speed, stats, & price
MaxCDN Site Acceleration

• StellarBytes
  • Members
  • 1807 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:59 PM #4

you mean call it with

?

Yes, the hyperlink text "click here for popup" would therefore launch the popup.

how baout passing info to the popup ? can this be done ?

No reason why not.

is this the fadeover popup or a REAL popup ?

i need a modal window popup

It's a modal pop-up. See the screenshot in the OP. It has the same appearance and is controlled by the same jQuery as the 'Add to Cart' popup in V3 and V4.

• vanderex
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:32 PM #5

nice, maybe i can further my verified by visa now
Get Cost Effective Content Delivery CDN
Unbeatable speed, stats, & price
MaxCDN Site Acceleration

• Stef
  • Trial users
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:32 AM #6

Hi StellarBytes
I am new to this and trying to implement this Popup.
Are you able to explain it in a bit more detail.
Thanks

• StellarBytes
  • Members
  • 1807 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:55 PM #7

Follow the KB guide for How to create a block then apply the guide as above.

• fdo
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 08:38 PM #8

Hint: Certain themes may call modal inside another element that is position:relative, causing it to act strangely. This is true for Vivashop in the product-info (options) area. If you have this problem try removing that from parent or wrapping in position: initial. THis is because position: absolute is relative to a position: relative parent. Also keep in mind that in the "absolute of the relative parent" state that overflow flags may cut off modal that is larger than parent.