Install Directory (Dissapears on HostGator)

I just finished installing CS-Cart version 4 on a Hostgator VPS and when I went to perform the final step of the installation ( renaming the “install” directory) I noticed that it was mysteriously gone…

I contacted the host and they were unable to locate it, and there was no mention of it in the logs as being moved or deleted.

My question is, after install, how important is the “install” directory? Do we still need it?

If it is still needed can I re-name my local copy of it and re-upload that to the server?

Thanks,

Paul

[quote name=‘Galactica’ timestamp=‘1372434728’ post=‘164550’]

I just finished installing CS-Cart version 4 on a Hostgator VPS and when I went to perform the final step of the installation ( renaming the “install” directory) I noticed that it was mysteriously gone…

I contacted the host and they were unable to locate it, and there was no mention of it in the logs as being moved or deleted.

My question is, after install, how important is the “install” directory? Do we still need it?

If it is still needed can I re-name my local copy of it and re-upload that to the server?

Thanks,

Paul

[/quote]

You are supposed to delete the install directory after you are finished installing for security reasons, so you must have been following the installation instructions and forgot you did it ! :-)

PS: You should “Rename” the admin directory

[quote name=‘Struck’ timestamp=‘1372434966’ post=‘164551’]

You are supposed to delete the install directory after you are finished installing for security reasons, so you must have been following the installation instructions and forgot you did it ! :-)

PS: You should “Rename” the admin directory

[/quote]

New install docs, said to rename and that was what I went into cPanel to do and it wasn’t there… The host also did NOT have a log file of it being deleted or moved… very strange.

At least I know it’s not needed and I don’t have some strange server glitch to track down now… Thanks for the reply :-)

Also, v4 does not use an admin directory, the final steps are as follows:

<br />
Once the installation is complete, it is strongly recommended that you take the following steps to protect the current installation and the CS-Cart source code.<br />
1. Rename the directory install/ or make it password protected.<br />
2. Change the default administrator password.<br />
3. Remove the distribution package from the web accessible directory on your server.<br />
4. Change the access permissions for the configuration file config.local.php as advised below.<br />
> chmod 644 config.local.php<br />
<br />

Well then, take my suggestions above with a grain of salt because it was based upon versions prior to 4.0x of which I have not dug into yet!

You can always just re-upload your install directory and continue re-naming or password protect it per the updated instructions they provide.

PS: With a Hostgator VPS you most likely need to change your permissions to 755 for directories and 644 for files, this may be causing some of your current problems…

Note the install directory contains all the language translation files. So if you're planning to add a language in the future you will need it.

@ Struck [quote]PS: You should “Rename” the admin directory[/quote]

Just a quick FYI, as I mentioned earlier I didn't see an admin directory , but I did rename the “admin.php” file in v4 per your suggestion.

@ tbirnseth

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’ timestamp=‘1372478629’ post=‘164589’]

Note the install directory contains all the language translation files. So if you’re planning to add a language in the future you will need it.

[/quote]

Thanks for the tip, I will keep that in mind :grin: