• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

CS-Cart 4 Beta is Released Rate Topic   - - - - -

• Flow
  • Super Duper and Amazingly Sexy Senior
  • Members
  • 2426 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:41 AM #161

Great news. But please don't forget things like gift certificates, reward points, return info, and so on.

When life hands you lemons, bring on the Tequila baby!

• pbannette
  • Members
  • 1038 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:07 AM #162

I tried to upgrade to 3.01 a while ago. Customers and Products I got to work. However, all the option exceptions were lost. I got the products with options, but all the exception rules/combinations were lost along with all the quantities. I did not pursue upgrading from 2.2.4 after this. I had complex option exception ruled made for one product and cloned this 250 times. Maybe I did something wrong (probably), but I hope upgrading to 4.1 would not loose these exceptions and have a good trouble shooting guide to go with the upgrade tool.
Thanks for making a path from 2.2.x to 4.1.
By the way, after 4.1 comes out, PLEASE don't make any major changes for a couple of years. Just necessary fixes/security patches/USPS required changes, PayPal, Amazon mods fixes, others like this. I want the Great developers on this forum to create the mods/addons/templates I have seen starting to come out with 3.01. That's why I initially wanted to upgrade to 3.x in the first place after the new mods for 3.x were starting to arrive. Now I have to wait even longer.
Bob

Version CS-Cart 4.3.5

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:52 PM #163

It is an absolute must that the store import retains ALL data values. If it renumbers order ID's, user ID',s etc.... then it's time to move to another cart.

Thanks
cs-cart 4.2.1

• Flow
  • Members
  • 2426 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:11 PM #164

I tried to upgrade to 3.01 a while ago. Customers and Products I got to work. However, all the option exceptions were lost. I got the products with options, but all the exception rules/combinations were lost along with all the quantities. I did not pursue upgrading from 2.2.4 after this. I had complex option exception ruled made for one product and cloned this 250 times. Maybe I did something wrong (probably), but I hope upgrading to 4.1 would not loose these exceptions and have a good trouble shooting guide to go with the upgrade tool.
Thanks for making a path from 2.2.x to 4.1.
By the way, after 4.1 comes out, PLEASE don't make any major changes for a couple of years. Just necessary fixes/security patches/USPS required changes, PayPal, Amazon mods fixes, others like this. I want the Great developers on this forum to create the mods/addons/templates I have seen starting to come out with 3.01. That's why I initially wanted to upgrade to 3.x in the first place after the new mods for 3.x were starting to arrive. Now I have to wait even longer.
Bob

It is an absolute must that the store import retains ALL data values. If it renumbers order ID's, user ID',s etc.... then it's time to move to another cart.

Thanks

Completely, utterly totally agree with all of the above.

• tbirnseth
  • CS Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 12156 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:32 PM #165

POPULAR

Much to my dismay, I started tinkering with V4 to see what it will take to get my ez_common addon (the common set of tools for all my addons) ported to V4....

Needless to say, this has been a long process. Every line of code has to be reviewed and possibly changed for some dumb reason to support a coding standard or to address things like "constants" being removed (they're called constant for a reason)..

The whole layout for delivering an addon has changed and rather than having everything neatly under one repository tree (3 areas - customer, admin and mail), stuff is scattered all over the place, admin and mail not in the repository and css and imagery in a completely separate tree..

I've seen discussion on mail templates being custom per store. But I sure don't see it in the code or the layout since the email templates are in the design/frontend/mail/addons directory structure and are not related to the 'stores' in the templates directory as they should be.

When I submitted a bug about this, It was responded to that mail templates are not skins and therefore are not part of the templates directory structure. However, one of the 'skin paths' is for "[mail]/" which implies that mail would be separate per store. But alas, it is not.

So regardless of the words being said, I think those of you who want custom mail templates (not just text/image content of the body) will not get what you're looking for.

So as an addon developer, I now deliver anything to do with the admin interface directly in the design/backend structure (no distributed backup in the skins_repository). Templates go in one directory structure, css in another, images in another and mail in another.

For the customer side, it's the same thing. So now I have 5-6 separate trees to manage. Unlike cs-cart, my addons will update and install themselves with bug fixes, etc. I need the control to define what gets installed on update and what doesn't. With this new structure I've lost all control over that.

Additionally, they did not address the store by store licensing (I.e. addons being enabled/disabled per store) support requested when V3 came out. Additionally, an administrator should be able to disable an addon on a specific storefront.

I guess the goal is to have everything done through cs-cart custom programming and then to pay for updates at each and every cart upgrade that comes along.

An API was provided, but the actual ability to deliver and maintain an addon was emasculated. So who's going to use the API if it's such a royal pain to deliver the glue needed to support the limited API?

EZ Merchant Solutions: Custom (USA based) B2B Development, Consulting, Development and Special Projects (get a quote here).
Commercial addons, payment methods and modifications to meet your business and operations needs.

• kickoff3pm
  • Members
  • 682 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:15 PM #166

I think I've already resigned to moving to another new shopping cart even though after two years of holding this cs-cart license I've only just gone live on the new site. I'm not right away but I won't be updating to 4 I'm sure of that.

Seems to me cs-cart is moving more to the hub idea of multi-stores. Well I only need one and I don't think I should pay for other people's needs in neither money or bulky code added I'm never going to enable. I would much more prefer them to be trimming down the code and removing far more of it making space for more back-end features shop owners can use. It's incredable how much cs-cart offers but lacks too. It's like a lope sided donkey.
http://matchdaymemories.com - Football Memorabilia Via Cs-Cart V3
http://www.outadwords.com - Free Marketing For You Site.
http://www.alternativestoebay.com - Join The Free Ecommerce Community.

• imac
  • CEO
  • CS-Cart Architects
  • 2077 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:28 PM #167

I've seen discussion on mail templates being custom per store. But I sure don't see it in the code or the layout since the email templates are in the design/frontend/mail/addons directory structure and are not related to the 'stores' in the templates directory as they should be.

When I submitted a bug about this, It was responded to that mail templates are not skins and therefore are not part of the templates directory structure. However, one of the 'skin paths' is for "[mail]/" which implies that mail would be separate per store. But alas, it is not.

So regardless of the words being said, I think those of you who want custom mail templates (not just text/image content of the body) will not get what you're looking for.

So as an addon developer, I now deliver anything to do with the admin interface directly in the design/backend structure (no distributed backup in the skins_repository). Templates go in one directory structure, css in another, images in another and mail in another.

For the customer side, it's the same thing. So now I have 5-6 separate trees to manage. Unlike cs-cart, my addons will update and install themselves with bug fixes, etc. I need the control to define what gets installed on update and what doesn't. With this new structure I've lost all control over that.

Additionally, they did not address the store by store licensing (I.e. addons being enabled/disabled per store) support requested when V3 came out. Additionally, an administrator should be able to disable an addon on a specific storefront.

I guess the goal is to have everything done through cs-cart custom programming and then to pay for updates at each and every cart upgrade that comes along.

An API was provided, but the actual ability to deliver and maintain an addon was emasculated. So who's going to use the API if it's such a royal pain to deliver the glue needed to support the limited API?

Dear tbirsnth,

Thank you very much for your criticism and suggestions, they really help us improve CS-Cart.

We have decided to move the mail templates to the customer skin directory, the same way as for the admin panel.

The ability to activate and deactivate add-ons individually for storefronts has been scheduled for the next version.

Thanks!
Ilya Makarov,
CS-Cart Architect Team
Suggest and vote for new features | Report a bug

• StellarBytes
  • Members
  • 1807 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:43 PM #168

The ability to activate and deactivate add-ons individually for storefronts has been scheduled for the next version.

This is important to me too, so I would appreciate it if you could clarify exactly what you mean by "the next version". Bug fixes and other functions were promised previously for "the next version" (which would therefore have been 3.0.7 or 3.1.1) and were subsequently thrown to the side to make way for V4.
Hire StellarBytes for CS-Cart Design & Development Services

• tbirnseth
  • CS Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 12156 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:04 PM #169

POPULAR

We have decided to move the mail templates to the customer skin directory, the same way as for the admin panel.

Not quite sure what this says since it seems a little contradictory... Are you saying that admin (now known as backend) and mail templates will now be installed as a stores/<store_number> type of structure so that mail and admin can be separate based on the store? Doing that for admin is a bit overkill (from a disk usage standpoint) if that's what you mean.

I think having the design/backend stuff as a single entity is fine. But I think any addons will need to have a store structure to them so one could have a different set of extensions for each store. I.e. someone may use Ultimate only to consolidate their customers but their sites might be quite different and have both different customer interfaces as well as different admin needs for all the object that are NOT shared.

Again, if you're going to change things, I'd suggest you put everything for an addon in the app/addons/<addon> directory. I.e.
app/addons/<addon>
  core
  controllers
	frontend
	backend
	common
  lib
  repository
	backend
	frontend
	mail
  stores
	  frontend
		templates
		hooks
		css
		media
		  images
		   video
	  backend
		templates
		hooks
		css
		media
		  images
		  video
	  mail
		templates
		hooks
		css
		media
		  images
		  video
	  etc.
You coud use store/0 as the repository (which would also work for MVE) and then when a new store is added, populate it from there.

Goal is that everything related to an addon is ALWAYS in the app/addons directory. The only real issue with this that I can tell is the template editor because it is hard wired to the core templates directory (but I don't know how it works in Ultimate or V4).

In this way relative CSS references like url(../media/images/bg-foo.jpg) work cleanly and easily.

Note also that hook names could overlap based on their context (backend, frontend or mail).

EZ Merchant Solutions: Custom (USA based) B2B Development, Consulting, Development and Special Projects (get a quote here).
Commercial addons, payment methods and modifications to meet your business and operations needs.

• javipkt
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:40 PM #170

Where is the changelog for Beta 3?

• P-Pharma
  • Members
  • 1139 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:16 PM #171

Beta 2 is the most recent download AFAIK. Am I missing something?

• javipkt
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:18 PM #172

Here you have Beta 3 links (Ultimate and Multi-Vendor buttons, just look the URL): http://blog.cs-cart....t-4-beta-is-on/

Ultimate: http://www.cs-cart.c...a3-ultimate.tgz
Multi-Vendor: http://www.cs-cart.c...multivendor.tgz

• Scott_C
  • Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:04 AM #173

Imac,
I feel that having a path from 2.2.4 and 2.2.5 to 4.x should be on your roadmap for the upgrade (Actually, new cart). I think there are a lot of cart owners, including myself, that did not and do not plan on going to 3.0 version and don't want to upgrade to 3.x to go to 4.x.

I wonder how many people are really using version 3, and how many are really using version 2. I think a LOT of people would want to upgrade from 2 to 4.

Agreed and agreed.

• BluBT
  • Advanced Member
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:22 PM #174

Hi Flow, sigh, bought and paid for cs-cart at the end of last year around V3.2. (haven't experienced V2). Since then i've been through seemingly monthly upgrading only to find out that now just about everything i've been learning and implementing is also seemingly irrelevant. yeahy ...V4 is here.
I cant even imagine how some of the well versed cs-cart shop/multi shop operators and addon developers can even try to keep up.
Even more so, why would any one want to keep paying for this product, ya know.

Does anyone know.. is searchanise"""(beta)"""" just randomly not going to be an addon any longer in this V4?<--just to name one randomly excluded addon i'm sure.

again ...huge sigh ..
:/

~B.

• StellarBytes
  • Members
  • 1807 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:30 AM #175

Will V4 have any additional skins included with the default cart install? Despite being promised more skins for V3, it never ever happened. To date, V3 still only has one skin available out of box.

IECSP previously published a skin which was momentarily available on the CS-Cart blog, you can see it here. If I remember correctly, the blog post topic surrounded V3.1.1 - which will now never happen - so it is safe to assume for once that this theme (and hopefully a few more) will be included in V4?

Make or break time in regards to future developments with CS-Cart, so even the simplest of things like this matter to me. If CS-Cart cannot get the basics right, how will they get anything else right? I haven't even bothered to look at the V4 beta as yet because a) I haven't had the time, B) what was once spare time, is not patching V3 time and c) I'm afraid it'll already confirm what I already know about CS-Cart.

• tom437
  • Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:04 PM #176

When will the V4 be able available?
Hosting for less.
www.step2stephosting.com

• imac
  • CEO
  • CS-Cart Architects
  • 2077 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:30 PM #177

Will V4 have any additional skins included with the default cart install? Despite being promised more skins for V3, it never ever happened. To date, V3 still only has one skin available out of box.

IECSP previously published a skin which was momentarily available on the CS-Cart blog, you can see it here. If I remember correctly, the blog post topic surrounded V3.1.1 - which will now never happen - so it is safe to assume for once that this theme (and hopefully a few more) will be included in V4?

Make or break time in regards to future developments with CS-Cart, so even the simplest of things like this matter to me. If CS-Cart cannot get the basics right, how will they get anything else right? I haven't even bothered to look at the V4 beta as yet because a) I haven't had the time, B) what was once spare time, is not patching V3 time and c) I'm afraid it'll already confirm what I already know about CS-Cart.

CS-Cart 4 will ship with a single highly customizable theme. In this theme, almost every style element can be changed via the Theme editor (http://blog.cs-cart....t-4-beta-is-on/.) You will be able to revamp your storefront any way you like with just a few clicks and in real time.

Instead of several static hard-coded themes we give you a sandbox with infinite possibilities to create unique look and feel for your store.

Give v4.0.1 a try, take a look at Theme editor; I'm sure you will like it.
Ilya Makarov,
CS-Cart Architect Team

• imac
  • CEO
  • CS-Cart Architects
  • 2077 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:03 PM #178

When will the V4 be able available?

I think we will release v4.0.1 in 1-2 weeks.
Ilya Makarov,
CS-Cart Architect Team

• Flow
  • Members
  • 2426 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:52 PM #179

I have to admit I'm excited! This is really starting to look like the major release cs-cart needs :)

• StellarBytes
  • Members
  • 1807 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:32 PM #180

As far as I have seen so far, there is no mention anywhere that mod_security must now be disabled to even install V4...is there any way to bypass this? I am yet to find any benefit of disabling mod_security.

Update, so far, so good with this hack in place. Haven't noticed any adverse effects yet.

To install V4 with mod_security enabled:

/install/app/Installer/SetupController.php - comment out the mod_secure check
/**
*			'mod_secure' => $validator->isModeSecurityDisabled(),
*/

/install/app/Installer/Validator.php - comment out the mod_secure check validation
/**
*	public function isModeSecurityDisabled()
*	{
*		$checking_result = true;
*		ob_start();
*		phpinfo(INFO_MODULES);
*		$_info = ob_get_contents();
*		ob_end_clean();
*		if (strpos($_info, 'mod_security') !== false) {
*			App::instance()->setNotification('E', App::instance()->t('error'), App::instance()->t('text_mod_security'), true, 'validator');
*			$checking_result = false;
*		}
*		return $checking_result;
*	}
*/