• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

CS-Cart 4 Beta is Released Rate Topic   - - - - -

• jjtrottier
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:32 PM #181

As far as I have seen so far, there is no mention anywhere that mod_security must now be disabled to even install V4...is there any way to bypass this? I am yet to find any benefit of disabling mod_security.

Update, so far, so good with this hack in place. Haven't noticed any adverse effects yet.

To install V4 with mod_security enabled:

/install/app/Installer/SetupController.php - comment out the mod_secure check

/**
*			'mod_secure' => $validator->isModeSecurityDisabled(),
*/

/install/app/Installer/Validator.php - comment out the mod_secure check validation
/**
*	public function isModeSecurityDisabled()
*	{
*		$checking_result = true;
*		ob_start();
*		phpinfo(INFO_MODULES);
*		$_info = ob_get_contents();
*		ob_end_clean();
*		if (strpos($_info, 'mod_security') !== false) {
*			App::instance()->setNotification('E', App::instance()->t('error'), App::instance()->t('text_mod_security'), true, 'validator');
*			$checking_result = false;
*		}
*		return $checking_result;
*	}
*/

All I did was change return $checking_result; to return true;

• tbirnseth
  • CS Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 11442 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:41 AM #182

I'm hoping there will be a final beta released with ALL structural changes so that we can provide feedback. I.e. mail directory and other layout changes.

EZ Merchant Solutions: Custom (USA based) B2B Development, Consulting, Development and Special Projects (get a quote here).
Commercial addons, payment methods and modifications to meet your business and operations needs.

• cscartrocks
  • Members
  • 1785 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:46 AM #183

Really look forward to the stable release of cs-cart v4.0.1!

One Step Checkout Addon - The ultimate checkout experience
Best CS-Cart SEO addon - CS-Cart SEO Ultimate Addon
PM for quality custom work/project

• dennis
  • Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:20 AM #184

CS-Cart 4 will ship with a single highly customizable theme. In this theme, almost every style element can be changed via the Theme editor (http://blog.cs-cart....t-4-beta-is-on/.) You will be able to revamp your storefront any way you like with just a few clicks and in real time.

Instead of several static hard-coded themes we give you a sandbox with infinite possibilities to create unique look and feel for your store.

Give v4.0.1 a try, take a look at Theme editor; I'm sure you will like it.

This is a very great and innovative feature! It can help to keep your design by next upgrades. Is the sandbox a separate addon or online layout? Or is it included in the coming versions?
Innovate, improve, look forward...

• imac
  • Head of Product
  • CS-Cart Architects
  • 2074 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:46 AM #185

I'm hoping there will be a final beta released with ALL structural changes so that we can provide feedback. I.e. mail directory and other layout changes.

Yes, we are going to release Beta 4 today or tomorrow with structure changes of skin folders ("theme" in the new terms)

I will provide you with description of the changes.
Ilya Makarov,
CS-Cart Architect Team
Suggest and vote for new features | Report a bug

• imac
  • Head of Product
  • CS-Cart Architects
  • 2074 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:51 AM #186

This is a very great and innovative feature! It can help to keep your design by next upgrades. Is the sandbox a separate addon or online layout? Or is it included in the coming versions?

Theme editor will be included in upcoming version v4.0.1. This will be a built in feature for both editions Multi-Vendor and Ultimate.
Ilya Makarov,
CS-Cart Architect Team

• kickoff3pm
  • Members
  • 682 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:45 AM #187

It's only a great feature if you want to change the design of your site once live. How many times does the average shop owner do that ? at most once a year and by then the will proberbly updates anyway.

I would much rather they add real benfits that help me run my company and save me time. While fixing the bugs that I have deal with like out of stock options not being hidden when that option is set and filters not working they way they should. You can get down to basics like being able to email customers or addressing the nightmare that is the import and export system.

Needless to say I won't be updating to be able to change the colour of text or move it around.
http://matchdaymemories.com - Football Memorabilia Via Cs-Cart V3
http://www.outadwords.com - Free Marketing For You Site.
http://www.alternativestoebay.com - Join The Free Ecommerce Community.

• dennis
  • Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:20 AM #188

Well, maybe I misunderstand this feature. Is it the layout editor which are now running in the CS4.01 BETA RC3? Please can you explain a bit more over what the sandbox is?

It's only a great feature if you want to change the design of your site once live. How many times does the average shop owner do that ? at most once a year and by then the will proberbly updates anyway.

I would much rather they add real benfits that help me run my company and save me time. While fixing the bugs that I have deal with like out of stock options not being hidden when that option is set and filters not working they way they should. You can get down to basics like being able to email customers or addressing the nightmare that is the import and export system.

Needless to say I won't be updating to be able to change the colour of text or move it around.

In my opinion there is a sandbox where you can change the colors and design of the elements from your website. In combination with the block elements you can manage the design of your store completely.

In first instance you have to create a design based on the standard fonts, divs and layers.
After, you can edit these layers by the theme editor. Future upgrades are not longer affecting the design of your store.

A stable design which is editable from your admin panel is an important tool for running your store.

Well kickoff3pm, by the open code of cscart you can hide, unhide or display what you want via local mods. I agree with you that there must be a better support for upgrading a store with local mods, or even better basics. Some of them are out of date or very limited. Our company have a lot of benefits by running a cs-cart store, but also a lot disadvantages. I hope CS-Cart will publish a bright and clear view for the future soon where we can build on!

• Struck
  • Teetering on Genious
  • Members
  • 2502 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:12 PM #189

Wrong, the Theme Editor actually is a great feature and actually will be used by many of us running professional businesses! If you are unable to understand the benefits, then I for one won't waste my time explaining the benefits to you....... :confused:

Alright, so why continue wasting time whining, sounds as if your good to go!

I imagine that you are one of those that finds more value in having 30 premade skin designs (29 of which will most likely never be used thus becoming nothing more than "bloat") included in the core download....
Cooking with Gas on Version 4.1.2 (But proceeding with caution....)

• kickoff3pm
  • Members
  • 682 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:53 PM #190

Wrong, the Theme Editor actually is a great feature and actually will be used by many of us running professional businesses! If you are unable to understand the benefits, then I for one won't waste my time explaining the benefits to you....... :confused:

Alright, so why continue wasting time whining, sounds as if your good to go!

I imagine that you are one of those that finds more value in having 30 premade skin designs (29 of which will most likely never be used thus becoming nothing more than "bloat") included in the core download....

You mean you can't explain any benifits don't you - admit it :-) too many people obsessed with looks in this world.

As for me being "one of them" no I'm one of them that has run a successfull online business for about 15 years. In that time I've used 4 or 5 different carts for one site. I like cs-cart but for me it's about 30% of what it could be if they turned their attention toward "business" and away from "fashion". It's an ecommerce app not photoshop. Somewhere someone told them it's looks "boxy" and they now are obsessed with the look.

I can tell you for a fact the colour of your background won't sell more widgets but being able to contact your customers and track thier needs certainly will. As will being able to update products quickly and showing them information they need in a simple concise manor within one viewing space.

I'll not comment in this thread again as I've said all I wanted to say and I never indended to alinate anyone. I work on a 3 year rollover plan and this doesn't now include cs-cart sorry to say.
http://matchdaymemories.com - Football Memorabilia Via Cs-Cart V3
http://www.outadwords.com - Free Marketing For You Site.
http://www.alternativestoebay.com - Join The Free Ecommerce Community.

• Struck
  • Teetering on Genious
  • Members
  • 2502 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:36 PM #191

You mean you can't explain any benifits don't you

What I mean exactly, is that my time is very valuable and is best utilized focusing on my business versus trying to explain the benefits of a particular feature to someone that most likely, doesn't have the capacity to understand regardless of my efforts to explain.

If you waste any more of my valuable time then I will have no choice other than to send you an invoice for my time of which you will not be able to afford, then I will turn you over to our collections agency for non-payment. :shock:
Cooking with Gas on Version 4.1.2 (But proceeding with caution....)

• tbirnseth
  • CS Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 11442 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:00 PM #192

Time will tell on this one. Problem in the past has been that cs-cart keeps changing things that can/should remain static like class names, template locations, hook names, etc. For the theme editor to work properly, they will have to come up with an upgrade scheme that allows them to change the css generated by the theme editor (and data stored in the DB) from like .my_class > class1 to .my_class > class2 when they decide to change the name of class1 to class2.

Since they've not demonstrated they can do this with hooks, constants or directory names, my confidence is very low that they will be able to do it with css classes. Remember that V2 was supposed to be the standard for the future. That's now long gone.

EZ Merchant Solutions: Custom (USA based) B2B Development, Consulting, Development and Special Projects (get a quote here).
Commercial addons, payment methods and modifications to meet your business and operations needs.

• tbirnseth
  • CS Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 11442 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:18 PM #193

In my opinion there is a sandbox where you can change the colors and design of the elements from your website. In combination with the block elements you can manage the design of your store completely.

I've asked for a sandbox/publication area for years to no avail. Real-time updates to storefronts are only useful when you're done, not while you're in process of change. So if the theme editor were allowed to be valid based on a parameter value or had a property to be able to name the theme, then one could do something like::
mysite.com?theme=18
Which would use theme_id 18 for that session only allowing someone to edit/play with theme 18 until it's ready. Then to tell the site to use theme_id 18 as the default.

But since they don't run real stores, they never really get these concepts.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:55 AM #194

I can tell you for a fact the colour of your background won't sell more widgets but being able to contact your customers and track thier needs certainly will.

Someone needs to do some website design research.. If you think color has no effect on decision and purchase making your greatly mislead.

Elkhorn Graphics LLC
Cs-Cart 4.11.2

• Flow
  • Super Duper and Amazingly Sexy Senior
  • Members
  • 2315 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:30 AM #195

I think the thing is they are always balancing between what experienced shop owners want and need (api!) and things that sell the cart to new customers. This skin thing to me is something that might bring a lot of newcomers to cs-cart. This means money, and without money a business can not exist.

And if they do it right, it will be a nice feature.

Conerning looks: to me looks are extremely important. The look of your shop is a very big part of your brand. Without a brand you're just a shop that can be replaced by any other shop. But if you have a strong brand (and I mean that an online shop can be marketed almost like a brand), people will want to belong to you and keep coming back.

That was my free marketing lesson for today.

When life hands you lemons, bring on the Tequila baby!

• kmolchanov
  • CS-Cart team
  • 1313 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:54 AM #196

I've asked for a sandbox/publication area for years to no avail. Real-time updates to storefronts are only useful when you're done, not while you're in process of change. So if the theme editor were allowed to be valid based on a parameter value or had a property to be able to name the theme, then one could do something like::
mysite.com?theme=18
Which would use theme_id 18 for that session only allowing someone to edit/play with theme 18 until it's ready. Then to tell the site to use theme_id 18 as the default.

But since they don't run real stores, they never really get these concepts.

Hi!

I am very happy to reply to this one :-)

In CS-Cart 4, we have exactly what you are asking for—a real-time sandbox with as many layout presets as you like. Picking a layout for a session is as easy is mysite.com?s_layout=3.

Moreover, layouts are more flexible than just color schemes: you can change the actual blockset. This means that you can create a special layout for your store to be embedded as a widget into any page, e.g. Facebook or Wordpress.

By the way, the widget mode I have just mentioned is another big new thing coming, we will make a special announcement for it later in our blog.

Konstantin Molchanov,
CS-Cart Architect Team

• kmolchanov
  • CS-Cart team
  • 1313 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:02 AM #197

Hello,

We understand that the demand in new features is bigger than the supply we can provide—after all, we have to worry about the core functionality and stability as our top priorities.

This is exactly why we are investing in a marketplace, a place for independent developers and theme designers to sell their products. We want to help the developer community grow and find their audience, as well as let store owners have a wider choice. Establishing a welcoming and open environment for 3rd party developers will be one of our key tasks for CS-Cart 4.1.

Konstantin Molchanov,
CS-Cart Architect Team

• dennis
  • Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:07 AM #198

I think the thing is they are always balancing between what experienced shop owners want and need (api!) and things that sell the cart to new customers. This skin thing to me is something that might bring a lot of newcomers to cs-cart. This means money, and without money a business can not exist.

So... long term existing customers are on the second place in your opinion? The biggest part of the newbies in e-commerce come and go within a year! I think an e-commerce platform miss completely the boat if they invest more in new customers then in the existing group. If the long term customers leave the platform, it will have a cold impact on the CS-Cart biz! It will be great if there will be a bright shine of light for companies who want to invest in their CS-Cart platform.

Time will tell on this one. Problem in the past has been that cs-cart keeps changing things that can/should remain static like class names, template locations, hook names, etc. For the theme editor to work properly, they will have to come up with an upgrade scheme that allows them to change the css generated by the theme editor (and data stored in the DB) from like .my_class > class1 to .my_class > class2 when they decide to change the name of class1 to class2.

Since they've not demonstrated they can do this with hooks, constants or directory names, my confidence is very low that they will be able to do it with css classes. Remember that V2 was supposed to be the standard for the future. That's now long gone.

I agree with your point tbirnseth! It is time for a change! For the real time theme editor I see changes, if the divs, layers, fonts should be get another class in new versions, they could change them in the theme editor too right? In that case it will have no impact on your store design. The blocks are a good example of it. They are the steadiest parts of the frontend in my opinion.

Well, you have still have to do a design integration once for the cs4 version.

• Darius
  • Douchebag
  • Members
  • 3313 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:56 AM #199

Who will bother adding features when you change core so often? Better invest in shop.cs-cart.com sell cs-cart t-shirt or baseball caps try your product in real life..

Areas like creating order in backend, invoicing, emailing and so on are abondoned for few years I guess.

Hello,

We understand that the demand in new features is bigger than the supply we can provide—after all, we have to worry about the core functionality and stability as our top priorities.

This is exactly why we are investing in a marketplace, a place for independent developers and theme designers to sell their products. We want to help the developer community grow and find their audience, as well as let store owners have a wider choice. Establishing a welcoming and open environment for 3rd party developers will be one of our key tasks for CS-Cart 4.1.

• Flow
  • Super Duper and Amazingly Sexy Senior
  • Members
  • 2315 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:11 PM #200

So... long term existing customers are on the second place in your opinion?

You're putting words in my mouth, because I never said that. I think long term customers should be used as your ambassadors. Keep them happy and they will do your PR, for free. I was just trying to look into cs-carts head and explain why they certainly do need newbies to buy their product.. because no company can exist without money.

When life hands you lemons, bring on the Tequila baby!