SEO Name - Driving me nuts this one

I'm going over the category titles and editing them and the seo name to make sure they look right and work right for my needs. I've done perhaps 20 changes and all have gone fine. I've now come to the last one I want to change and I'm hitting a strange snag. The SEO name was something like this “product-en-3” I changed this to simply “new-product”

Checked it and it read “new-product-en-3” I don't want the “en-3” I don't need it and the is no other url with it and no other category with the same name. I don't have any other lanuages setup.

Out of desperation I simply put “ab” and this worked yuppi ! … so I tought it was just a cache issue. Common sense would say I could now change this to what I want “new-product” but when I checked this change it read “new-product-en-3”

[color=#ff0000][size=5]WHATS GOING ON ? [/size][/color]

Check the database table cscart_seo_names 'name' column.

SELECT *
FROM `cscart_seo_names`
WHERE `name` LIKE '%new-product%'

I know the name is unique but I will do that, just moved on to other things for a while. It's odds because the phase is 4 words, I can't make it work by simple removing the “s” of the end but thats not what I want. I'm sure I'll find the answer in the database but still it a annoying problem.

If you're trying to use “new-product” and it changes to “new-product-en-3” then you most definitely have instances of “new-product”, “new-product-en”, “new-product-en-1” and “new-product-en-2” in the database. Whether or not they are actually referenced and in use anywhere, is another story.

Hi,

Very new to CS-cart, but if there are unique category names and product names why would cs-cart add -en to some URLs. I put a support ticket in yesterday so will see what they come back with.

Because “en” is your default language. If you change your default language, it'll change accordingly, such as “-fr” for French.

-en is only appended to your SEO Name (ie. URL) IF the SEO Name already exists, whether that be in the form of Products, Product Features, Categories, Pages, etc.

[quote name='Tryinghardtomakemoney' timestamp='1361799302' post='156347']

Hi,

Very new to CS-cart, but if there are unique category names and product names why would cs-cart add -en to some URLs. I put a support ticket in yesterday so will see what they come back with.

[/quote]

Well you can define your site to work in diferent names so you might want different pages for -en -it -sp etc

I suppose at sometime I've activated the option but can't recall when. I've put it aside for a while as I have far more importent things to do then search a database.

have you checked to see if the -en-1 or en-2 pages exists if you just visit them via the browser?

SELECT * from cscart_seo_names

WHERE name like '%new-product%'

I have some sub-categories that all have the same name. CS-Cart appends the -en value, then -en-2, then -en-2-3, then -en-2-3-4, etc.

It's a logical way to keep SEO names unique for pages that have the same title.

This function is seriously buggy. I have made sure that all my 'pages' have an unique name in each language. For example:

'contact us' is named 'contactez nous' in French.

I would expect that CS-Cart would use the following urls:

/en/contact-us.html

/fr/contactez-nous.html

Yet, it uses

/fr/contact-us-fr.html

or even worse:

/contact-us-nl-3.html?sl=FR

Often when I try to edit the SEO name (under page > addons > SEO name) then CS-Cart simply changes it back when I save it.

Does anyone have a clue what to do?

Am I correct that this is caused by multiple storefronts having the same information pages?

If so, then 'pages' are simply not compatible with Ultimate in this respect.

It is completely logical that all storefronts have a page for order conditions, privacy policy, payment, contact us, etc.

urls should look like this:

storefront1.com

storefront2.com

storefront3.com/en/privacy.html

storefront4.com/en/privacy.html

etc.

But this is not possible. It seems that there can be only 1 privacy.html and the other storefronts can only have bizarre urls. Not normal friendly urls.

There is a field in the seo_names table called 'company_id', but the 'name' field is a primary key.

If you were to use both 'company_id' and 'name' as a shared key, you could then legally insert duplicates into the 'name' field, but the INSERT statement and the SELECT statement in CS-Cart would have to be looked at.

We discovered thesame problems with products and categories in Ultimate.

Ultimate makes a mess of all the urls when you edit products or categories is 'list mode' of in 'All stores' mode.

[quote name='StellarBytes' timestamp='1361449532' post='156045']

If you're trying to use “new-product” and it changes to “new-product-en-3” then you most definitely have instances of “new-product”, “new-product-en”, “new-product-en-1” and “new-product-en-2” in the database. Whether or not they are actually referenced and in use anywhere, is another story.

[/quote]

I had this same problem with “-en” being added to cloned and new products… I was certain I didn't have a duplicate product name out there somewhere, but later found out I did. Thanks!

AND dont forget that there is a setting to "show language in url "in admin>addons>seo

John

Suggestion to fix this is here: http://cscart.uservoice.com/forums/134344-cs-cart/suggestions/6613112-seo-addon-multi-store-multi-language-of-the-same