• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Speed Up and Optimise CS-Cart Version 3 Rate Topic   * * * * * 9 votes

• grayloon
  • Members
  • 450 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:22 PM #141

I'll be looking at optimising V4 once I have at least one store ready to go live on V4

Any progress on V4 optimizations? I didn't see a new post.
7 CS-Cart licenses - 2.2 through 4.2

• boxed-blue
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 11:10 AM #142

Hi All

I'm working on optimising a v4 site and have gone from grade C/D on GMetrix to an A/B. I've switched to using Google "PageSpeed Insights" to test as this tests for mobile too. Scores when starting were 49/62 Mobile/Desktop, now at 63/82/ Of course depends on the page and how many images etc are there.

I've implemented many things mentioned here in this thread. The last 2 key aspects are image optimisation, currently using Shrink O'Matic which is free and doing it's stuff.

The 2nd big thing recommended is "Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content". Google seems to put a lot of weight in this and a big factor in page loading speed. Now CS Cart has taken all my nicely minified css and js code and combined it in to 2 files (great) but in doing so it has un-minified it (not great).

Does anyone know where exactly CS Cart is combining these files and un-minifying them?

Cheers

Steve
CS Cart Design, Development and Hosting

This Is Kode - http://thisiskode.com

• tbirnseth
  • CS Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 11325 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:59 PM #143

If you are compressing output, the mimification has almost zero impact on transmission data size. I doubt any browser takes much longer to parse with whitespace as without. But then Big G doesn't really care about reality, they just want everyone to conform to their view of the web. Until they change the minds of course! :-)

EZ Merchant Solutions: Custom (USA based) B2B Development, Consulting, Development and Special Projects (get a quote here).
Commercial addons, payment methods and modifications to meet your business and operations needs.

• boxed-blue
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:09 AM #144

Hi tbirnseth

I do not and cannot disagree with you on this I know its only a very small saving on load speed.

The client is loving the speed enhancements I've made so far but they are using the Google PageSpeed Insights tool and this is one of the last aspects to further enhance the loading speed.

Big G seems to put a fair weighting on this aspect and thus the score is lower than they'd like. If Google is to rank sites by their loading speed then even a few kilo bytes will help. If I were to dismiss every aspect that was under 50KB say, it would all add up to a huge amount, every little helps as they say.

I'm surprised that CS Cart have gone to the trouble to join all the js / css they can in to one file and not minify it.

One other aspect holding up speed is the off site Searchanise files. I know you guys do a site search which I'm interested in. This will increase the score within Google Page Speed but will it speed the actual search up. CS Cart and Searchanise claim it speeds search up on the site (guess they would say this anyway). Does your search add on match the search speeds of Searchanse?

Cheers

Steve

• tbirnseth
  • CS Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 11325 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:18 PM #145

I believe they are looking at Big-G's page speed tests when evaluating V4.3.1-beta. I would expect to see the changes there. They are not huge by any means. and can clear most hurdles by:
1) Minify css/js
2) Break JS into what's needed for page load and what's needed for after. Note that there is a lot of inline JS that could be eliminated too by including in either pre or post page load area. Things like defintion of JS language variables, etc.

We've given Big-G too much power and now merchant's feel the need to conform to their whims to remain competitive. Big-G has had more failures than successes. Look at things like Google Checkout, Google Base, various incantations of site maps and micro-data.... The list is endless and odds are anything that's there today will be obsolete within 2 years.

I heard a line in a movie the other night that I liked and it's certainly applicable to me. "I don't give advice, I simply have opinions".

EZ Merchant Solutions: Custom (USA based) B2B Development, Consulting, Development and Special Projects (get a quote here).
Commercial addons, payment methods and modifications to meet your business and operations needs.

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:38 PM #146

Hi tbirnseth

I do not and cannot disagree with you on this I know its only a very small saving on load speed.

The client is loving the speed enhancements I've made so far but they are using the Google PageSpeed Insights tool and this is one of the last aspects to further enhance the loading speed.

Big G seems to put a fair weighting on this aspect and thus the score is lower than they'd like. If Google is to rank sites by their loading speed then even a few kilo bytes will help. If I were to dismiss every aspect that was under 50KB say, it would all add up to a huge amount, every little helps as they say.

I'm surprised that CS Cart have gone to the trouble to join all the js / css they can in to one file and not minify it.

One other aspect holding up speed is the off site Searchanise files. I know you guys do a site search which I'm interested in. This will increase the score within Google Page Speed but will it speed the actual search up. CS Cart and Searchanise claim it speeds search up on the site (guess they would say this anyway). Does your search add on match the search speeds of Searchanse?

Cheers

Steve

I've been using Quick Search from Alt-Team for quite a while now instead of Searchanise. Works great and definitely helps with speed.

• boxed-blue
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 09:40 AM #147

Thanks kingsleypress for the note on the search. I'm looking in to this.

tbirnseth, your opinions (from what I have read on here) are built from experience over time so to some (like me) are often from good advice. Thanks

Again, cant disagree with your thoughts on Big G. IMO even they don't know what they have done or what to do next. The search algorithm is a mysterious beast that even they can't control.

I've moved most of the inline JS out of the page code now, which did help. Some pages were over 12s to load and are now down to 2-3 at most of which the main part is the size of the images being used. Client was using 300dpi...

Is there a demo version of the search I could show the client with their data?

Cheers

Steve