• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Speed Up and Optimise CS-Cart Version 3 Rate Topic   * * * * * 9 votes

• The Tool
  • Been Here Way Too Long Member
  • Members
  • 3967 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:30 AM #61

I can't help but to find this thread amusing. What most of yall seem to forget is this is supposed to be about page speed and not a grade. The "grade" is a joke and does not necessarily mean you have a faster page with a higher grade.

Below are GT Metrics of my sites. Do you really think Smartoptimizer is going to bring my times down any? The answer is no, I have already tried it. All of these sites are also hosted on shared servers.

NOTE: This post isn't meant to be offensive or degrading, my point is to show that a higher grade doesn't reflect page speed.

SITE 1
Page Speed Grade - D (67%)
YSlow Grade - C (77%)
Page load time - 1.96s
Total page size - 601KB
Total # of requests - 55

SITE 2
Page Speed Grade - D (66%)
YSlow Grade - D (68%)
Page load time - 3.05s
Total page size - 588KB
Total # of requests - 57

SITE 3
Page Speed Grade - D (61%)
YSlow Grade - D (68%)
Page load time - 1.94s
Total page size - 590KB
Total # of requests - 57

• StellarBytes
  • Members
  • 1807 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:55 PM #62

You're right, a higher grade does not mean a faster page load time. The majority of the page load time is down to the clients connection to the server, the server hardware and server environment. However, the 'Grade' is a fair indication that, given your server specification, your page load time is as good as you're going to get as you have taken care of all other aspects which can affect the page load time.

Why not be proactive, and share some ideas on what you have done to gain your healthy page load times without evidently using various methods like compression, sending correct headers, etc, to help other members of the Community?
Hire StellarBytes for CS-Cart Design & Development Services

• The Tool
  • Been Here Way Too Long Member
  • Members
  • 3967 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:21 AM #63

Why not be proactive, and share some ideas on what you have done to gain your healthy page load times without evidently using various methods like compression, sending correct headers, etc, to help other members of the Community?

I have. I didn't get to 2300+ posts from posting senselessly. :)

• StellarBytes
  • Members
  • 1807 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:47 AM #64

I can't find anything relevent in terms of speeding up CS-Cart. Perhaps you could link to such posts.

• P-Pharma
  • Members
  • 1139 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:58 PM #65

Great. Please post a rundown. This would be most interesting.

• Struck
  • Teetering on Genious
  • Members
  • 2502 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:12 PM #66

Great. Please post a rundown. This would be most interesting.

Well, I imagine he actually has a business to run thus focusing on his real priorities is most beneficial!

If you have the time, you can always spend the majority of the day searching & reading his individual posts, but yes, the tool has been quite helpful to many over the years. You could also call 1800ToolMan :-)
Cooking with Gas on Version 4.1.2 (But proceeding with caution....)

• dsc81
  • Advanced Member
  • Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:04 AM #67

Time for an update. I applied these settings to a new site, taking it from a PageSpeed score of B (82%) and ySlow of C (74%) to A (90%) and B (89%).

If you are using SmartOptimizer, I suggest you use this modified version which takes advantage of cache validation and fixes a major bug in the existing SmartOptimizer 1.8. Your customers are unlikely to see the error, but they will feel the ill effects. Compressed content is being forced to be compressed again in the default SmartOptimizer install.

Unzip both files. Upload the extracted .htaccess file from '.htaccess.zip' to the root of your store. Back up your existing .htaccess file before doing so, just in case.

Upload the contents of SmartOptimizer.zip after extracting to the /smartoptimizer/ folder at the root of your store. These files should overwrite the existing SmartOptimizer [v1.8] files.

is this working also for 2.2.5 ?

• StellarBytes
  • Members
  • 1807 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:22 AM #68

is this working also for 2.2.5 ?

Yes. I use the same rules on 2.2.4, 2.2.5 and V3 stores.

• selectcase
  • Advanced Member
  • Trial users
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:18 PM #69

interesting

whenever i try smartoptimiser i can get my homepage but the minute i try to get any other page i get the following message

he requested URL /index.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

i have rewrite mod on and have cleared the cache etc the other htaccess file mods work fine though

• johnbol1
  • Never Re
  • Members
  • 4914 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:51 PM #70

Sometimes the contents of the .htaccess file in the Smart Optimizer folder need to be copied and put inside the .htaccess in root. then delete or rename the .htacces in S O folder

John

Custom printed hi visibility clothing sale the UK's online hivis safety shop
v4.5.2

• StellarBytes
  • Members
  • 1807 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:19 PM #71

I would suggest using the modified version of Smart Optimizer I posted previously in this thread and use at least the smart optimizer related htaccess rules in the htaccess file I also posted. This should solve the issues described.

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:22 PM #72

Thank'you Stellar ..

Page Speed Grade:

(92%)
77%

B

YSlow Grade:

(88%)
76%

Page load time: 2.35s
Total page size: 178KB
Total number of requests: 23

• jmccann
  • Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:04 PM #73

#RewriteBase /

interesting

whenever i try smartoptimiser i can get my homepage but the minute i try to get any other page i get the following message

he requested URL /index.php was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

i have rewrite mod on and have cleared the cache etc the other htaccess file mods work fine though

Hi

I had the same problem and made a small change to my .htaccess file to fix this issue. I commented out the following line:

RewriteBase /
to

#RewriteBase /

I hope this helps.

• selectcase
  • Advanced Member
  • Trial users
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:03 PM #74

thanks for the advice

• TBOTECH
  • Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:41 PM #75

Thanks StellarBytes! Was able to improve page speed.

• tigerbabba
  • Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:02 AM #76

There is another method you could use which is reverse proxy and that will really speed up things - I will post how to as I am using SQUID
Currently using CS-Cart 4.x
Fortigate Firewalls

• TBOTECH
  • Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:34 PM #77

I added the htaccess lines to my original htaccess file and now my 301 redirects don't work. These 301's were created in my cPanel and are in the htaccess file but they are not followed anymore.

I removed the new code to make my 301 redirects work again but now my page speed/score obviously went down again. Is there a modification when you have 301s already set up?

• StellarBytes
  • Members
  • 1807 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:25 PM #78

Can you post an example of the code you are using to 301 redirect these pages? I don't have any problems, but some server configurations don't like two bases being used in terms of 'gold' and 'deprecated' rules being used.

• TBOTECH
  • Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:05 PM #79

The first part of this is for an affiliate program. Till it says: # End iDevAffiliate SEO Code

I do not have your code on this right now but when I put it in there my 301s didn't work. I do have the smart optimizer folder installed and everything worked fine and I was happy till I found out about the 301's. I may have just did it wrong but I don't know enough to know what the problem could be.

<SNIPPED>

I have about 40 more of these 301 redirects.

Edited by TBOTECH, 03 March 2013 - 12:11 AM.

• StellarBytes
  • Members
  • 1807 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:26 PM #80

I haven't used RewriteCond / RewriteRule for 301's with this particular htaccess, but I have used the following which works, but again, this may differ from server configurations:
redirect 301 /old-page.html http://www.domain.com/new-page.html