CScart keeps timing out. It's soooo slow

How can I speed up CScart to stop it from timing out?

It's either not configured right or you have a very crappy server.

Hello jmccann,

[quote name='jmccann' timestamp='1348157713' post='145463']

How can I speed up CScart to stop it from timing out?

[/quote]

Sorry to hear you experience such a problem, but could you let us know what store operation you run to time out? Taking into account that any CS-Cart page (except search results without Searchanise enabled) normally loads 0,5-2 seconds, I would suppose something is wrong with PHP or MySQL on your server.

I also took a look at your CS-Cart installations registered on your account in our license database, and all of them loaded very fast for me. Almost the same load speed as the one on http://demo.cs-cart.com.

Please advise.

Hi Lantan,

Thanks for response.

It was happening on a new site that is just getting built a at www.emcom.biz/clients/web1 (license will be activated prior to getting deployed on live site ) I was experiencing difficulties primarily when in the admin backend.

I've increased the memory limit in my .htaccess file and it now seems to be loading relatively faster now.

I don't know if this has helped or whether it was just a bad day on the server. I'll keep an eye on this for now.

Thank you for the details.

It is strange to hear that only the admin panel worked slow because almost the same scripts are used for both storefront and back-end.

It was a good idea to increase the memory limit. Glad to hear it helped to 'wake' your server up.

I have seen cases where Admin side is also very slow and the customer side is fine. I've tried to diagnose this using mysql admin, top and other system tools but have never been able to find the cause.

The symptoms are like is is blocked on a DB access, but 'mysqladmin proc' doesn't show anything.

I guess it could be blocked on file locking related to the cache, but that would see a bit far-fetched since there is no file locking per-se on the cache files (the system just fights for access with other PHP instances).

Then, magically the slowness just goes away and all is well again… My client is frustrated and I'm a bit frustrated too since I can't identify the problem.

Hello Anthony,

Thank you for letting us know about your case and your investigation. I thought about cache too when I went over possible reasons in my mind.

Well, once you experienced the same problem too, it can a problem with CS-Cart itself. Or PHP… Or MySQL… Or server… Who knows.

Our development team will examine the CS-Cart source code for possible mistakes once again, but it will be difficult to examine the issue without the ability to reproduce it on our servers…

It's Tony (not Anthony) and I don't think the issue is in the cart code (architecture maybe, but not the code itself - ie. defect).

I'd guess it's either an Apache issue or a mySQL issue when it occurs, but as I've said, I've not been able to identify it.

Do note that the site in question runs on a dedicated server and has an average of 20 simultaneous users accessing the site with maybe 2-3 admin sessions as well during the day. So with the amount AJAX used for statistics and other page load events, the number of concurrent PHP processes can be upward of 100. Each of these will be fighting to get to the same site cache data.

I've been in at least 20 to 30 cs-cart shops and admin has always been (much) slower then customer side, especially after version 2.14

Even now, on 2 of my 3 shops admin side is slow (on dedicated with 8gb). Not crazy slow, but still sometimes we have to wait for 3 to 4 seconds for a pageload. It doesn't seem to matter how many people are online… it's as slow with 1 as it is with 8.

I moved servers some months ago, hoping that would change the problem, but it's exactly the same.

[quote name='Flow' timestamp='1348305630' post='145547']

I've been in at least 20 to 30 cs-cart shops and admin has always been (much) slower then customer side, especially after version 2.14

Even now, on 2 of my 3 shops admin side is slow (on dedicated with 8gb). Not crazy slow, but still sometimes we have to wait for 3 to 4 seconds for a pageload. It doesn't seem to matter how many people are online… it's as slow with 1 as it is with 8.

I moved servers some months ago, hoping that would change the problem, but it's exactly the same.

[/quote]

Me too… always noticed this

I'm not talking about an occasional slowness, I'm talking about a 30 second blockage. I.e. click the home button and it will sit there for 30-60 seconds. Then move on and all is fine… It's very random and occasional, can be days or weeks between occurrences or only minutes. Sometimes the browser status says 'connecting' which would imply some kind of network issue and other times it says 'reading' which would imply that the request has been completely sent. So it's inconsistent at best.

But if I go to a separate tab in the browser and go to the site it loads normally while the admin side is blocked. Go figure…

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]Dear Tony (sorry, for calling you Anthony, I thought Tony was the abbreviated form[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]).[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]Thank you for suggesting so many possible reasons of the admin panel slowness. It seems it does not connected with the cache or concurrent users, because, for example, jmccann[/font][/color]'s[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif] website ([/font][/color][url=“Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting & Domain Names from Heart Internet”]Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting & Domain Names from Heart Internet) is not live, but he experienced the same problem.

We do not know the exact reason yet, but we will do our best to find it out.

I have the same problem too.

cs-cart has speed issues, my site sallaty.jo gets 5~8 seconds page load on dedicated server. I even asked cs-cart to optimize it “custom development” and they analayzed both database and web server and didn't get any improvement. While their demo site has much better results maybe because its database is small.

i'm reallty frustrated from my website speed and i don't know what to do or what is the problem. Most my customer complain that competitors website run much faster.

Your site loaded in 2-3 seconds for me (from west coast US).

What backend_cache method are you using? If you are dedicated, you might want to investigate useng SHMEM. It will be fastest but will probably gobble up 1GB of memory or so for a site with many product features and filters

There are no 1 size fits all performance solutions. There are many optimizations you can make but your mileage may vary.

How many concurrent users are you seeing (the admin user count will do though it will be higher than actual)? How many products, categories, features and filters? How much memory and what's the cpu of your dedicated server? Blah, blah, blah… Just trying to give you an idea of the factors involved when trying to speed up cs-cart. Most performance improvements are trade-offs of resources so if you get a gain in one place, you might give something up somewhere else.

Also need to look at what your server is doing during peak load times… Is it stuck on the database? Is the database stuck waiting for memory, cpu or disk space?..

Good luck…

[quote name='mghazal' timestamp='1348723152' post='145859']

cs-cart has speed issues, my site sallaty.jo gets 5~8 seconds page load on dedicated server. I even asked cs-cart to optimize it “custom development” and they analayzed both database and web server and didn't get any improvement. While their demo site has much better results maybe because its database is small.

i'm reallty frustrated from my website speed and i don't know what to do or what is the problem. Most my customer complain that competitors website run much faster.

[/quote]

You site is loading just fine (very fast actually) here. And I'm a new visitor so no caching. With testing tools, make sure you read them correctly. For example, my site is usually saying it loads in 6 or 7 seconds, but that's just 1 or 2 external plugins that need a bit more time. The rest is finished way before that.

Tony, I'm wondering about shmem. I tried it but the cart crashed immediately. Maybe I should give it another go now I'm on dedicated.

First to clear things im using 2 servers one for db and other for web each with 4 gb ram, ssd drive and 2 x 2.67 ghz cpu. Im using cloudflare as cdn, shmem for caching. Currently im getting 200+ visitors daily.my hosting provider told me that hw upgrade wouldnt improve performance.

I use gtmetrix to measure my site performance http://gtmetrix.com/reports/sallaty.jo/f37tV7YL and webpagetest. I like cs-cart alot but the speed issue is really annoying to me and im searching for a solution. If anyone can help please pm me

On another note my main competitor khodarji.com who is using magento is getting 2~3 sec with much less hw and lousy configuration

Checout gtmetrix http://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.khodarji.com/6u4i9suO

Flow - could depend on the server type and version of the SHMEM module. It's not very widely used in PHP.

Only 200 visitors a day? That's pretty low for the config you have. Your config should handle 10K or more. I have many customers that get 1500 unique visitors/day on fairly small VPS environments (like 2-3GB, 1 cpu, traditional spindles for disks, etc.)

My guess is that cdn, remote DB and other “big boy” configuration setups are killing you for low-end access. I.e. the overhead helps for really busy/high-end sites, but is way too steep for smaller (like yours) sites. The remote DB is probably the biggest killer unless you have a really high-speed connection (like Hyperchannel or optical) between your two servers. But if you're going onto your hosts network to retrieve your DB info, you're sunk.

You get A/B on GTmetrix report and your competitor gets D/D and you're complaining?

I had this problem where both the admin panel and the front end was taking forever to load on occassions, the other thing was the page never seemed to complete loading even though it looked as though it had (the little icon in the tab that lets you know a page is loading would never complete.

I seem to have remedied it by doing the following (hopefully it will help someone).

1: All add-ons that I was not using were uninstalled - read this on here somewhere I think.

2: I cleared the logs (this was in my opinion the one that made the biggest change - as I had not cleared the logs ever and the store is nearly 6 years old now) - this reduced the database by over 60mb!!

3: I removed ALL the spam customers in my database - This took forever and there was over 2000 of them, very easy to identify by same last name and first name - probably should have written a code snippet to do this job as it took over 4 hours manually, I can only assume it was so they could spam my products review section.

4: I used the database optimise function.

5: I cleared the cache.

My site is now running faster than I can ever remember it running! :)

Mark.