VPS User Guide?

Hi

I have recently moved our site from a semi-VPS hosting package to a new host and a managed VPS package and the whole having access to the server itself (via WebHost Manager) thing is completely new to me and I'm finding it all a bit daunting!

Although we are on fully hosted, I feel I need to get to grips with the terminology and understand better what all the figures that my host reports to me actually mean. So I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good reference guide for me to read or any good websites that may be helpful? There's so many out there but it would be good to have one that comes recommended.

Also, are there any resources out there on how to optimise the server, ideally with CS-Cart in mind? Or should I ask our host / CS-Cart / a third party to optimise for me?

Any guidance much appreciated as always.

Thanks

Emma

PS I know some people will probably say I shouldn't have gone for VPS being a newbie but that was what was recommended by both my old and new host but have gone for as much “managed” as I could

Hi Emma,

I advice you to have your vps setup by an expert. It needs to be hardened (secured) and many things can be tweaked.

Hosts usually do a basic setup but most of the time these do not suffice.

Hi Flow

Thank you for your reply. Is there anybody you would recommend for this?

We are with Future Host - is this something they could be relied on to help us with do you think?

Thanks

Emma

Jesse Lee Stringer here in the forums. However, he's been quite busy with other business lately.

I just had my vps hardened and tuned by Jesse. Was much needed too he said and he also fixed a problem I had that futurehosting couldn't seem to fix.

Emma,

I can't offer immediate support as I'm travelling at the moment, however if you would prefer to email me your server details I can give you a quotation. I'll email you my rates after reviewing the server as I know Martfox VPS/hosting containers have issues on migration (Done it before).

regards,

J.

Thanks Flow - we're on Futurehost so interesting to hear.

And Hi Jesse, that's great, I'll send you an email, thanks.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]i am on a vps host from edb-hosting.com and it works just great it coms whit server kontrolpanel, webmin and [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][color=#000000]Easy VPS Control Panel that i can recommended if you are not Linux proficient. This Control Panel is similar to the one used by shared hosting, therefor is extremely easy-to-use. it givs you the ability to create domain ftp users databases and mail whit 1-2 click. [/color][/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][color=#000000]the only problem i had was a cs-cart bug not allowing me to enable SEO and after a few hick-ups from me and cs-cart working at the same time on the server it was extreamly easy to get up and running.[/color][/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][color=#000000]pleas[/color][/font][color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] excuse my bad english [/font][/color]