PayPal and Payment Status

Hi,

I’ve had this problem for a long time and I’ve searched the forums many times but I haven’t found a solution so I hope someone here can point me in the right direction.

After a customer makes a payment via PayPal, the system is unable to read the return status and the status become Open Order instead of Payment Processed.

I set up the PayPal sandbox and interestingly, the system is able to talk to PayPal correctly and change the order status to Payment Processed so this means that my CS-Cart is able to talk to the PayPal servers…

I suppose that means that there may be problems with my PayPal settings but I have checked everything against the instructions and I am sure that I have followed the instructions to a T.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

Regards,

Peter

Yes there are a couple of threads about it all with varying responses. I sometimes dont get a change of order status from paypal for a whole day.

John

This delay or having to manually change the order status will really tick off customers that are expecting instant access to the product they just paid for.

I wish the developers would implement IPN. This is why I stopped using CS-Cart and switched to another solution.

I'm taking another look at CS-Cart for a new project but it looks like it's still not robust when it comes to digital goods.

Did either of you find a solution for this?

Hmm, I don't have this issue ever actually. Orders are being processed immediately.

The PayPal Sandbox is supposed to work just like the real thing, right?

I just did several test orders and the status remains “Open”.

How does CS-Cart verify that a PayPal payment was actually completed since IPN is not used?

Here are my settings:

Never used Sandbox, but the real thing works instantly for me as well - using CS Carts “Paypal Pro” processor and “Paypal” processor.

On occasions, using “Paypal”, the status has been left as “Open” and in the logs it shows Incompleted > Paid followed by Incompleted > Open and it deducts the stock twice. So CS Cart was changing the status back to Open after it was already Paid. It is rare though - but still always instant.

[quote name='applied' timestamp='1342290228' post='140751']

On occasions, using “Paypal”, the status has been left as “Open” and in the logs it shows Incompleted > Paid followed by Incompleted >

[/quote]

What version are you using? I've owned a CS-Cart license since 2008 but I've never gotten past the test stage because none of the versions, including 3.x, have worked flawlessly with digital goods.

When customers pay for digital goods, they expect instant access and rightfully so. I don't know why they don't implement IPN. That has always worked 100% for me and has allowed me to develop numerous sites that handle digital goods without so much as a hiccup or any admin intervention. Fully automatic.

I really would like to make use of my CS-Cart license but it looks like I never will or at least not until they make it more robust with regards to digital products.

I started with V2.2.4, so wouldn't know what it was like back in 2008 (before my time). I don't know how it works (if it uses IPN or not) - but it does work and is instant every time. There are three Paypal processors in CS Cart: “Paypal”, “Paypal Pro” and “Paypal Express Checkout”. I don't use the Express Checkout option. I would suspect the problem is in the Paypal settings - i.e. the settings within the Paypal account as there isn't much to get wrong in the CS Cart end (if the cart settings were wrong then I would think that the payment would not be processed at all as there is no “call-back” type setting).

I don't think there was anything I had to do specifically for CS Cart for just the “Paypal” processor but had to set up an API in the Paypal account for both “Paypal Pro” and the Express Checkout.

I just had a look at my Paypal account to see if there were any settings I could show you - but couldn't find where they all were. I know there are settings like only accepting instant payments (i.e. not e-cheques) and somewhere it will show the settings to use for the “Paypal” processor - but in my case I copied them from my previous cart provider. If you do find any Paypal settings you want to check against my working setup let me know where to find them and I will post my settings (non-confidential ones!) that I know work.

I have just found my IPN setting in Paypal - it is set to a different shopping cart that requires this. Glad CS Cart doesn't use this as well as there is only the facility for one payment notification URL.

I have also found in Paypal's - Profile - My Selling Preferences there is “API Access - Configure how my website communicates with Paypal” where you set up an API - which is what my Express Checkout and Paypal Pro processors use as the username. You select Option 2 - request API credentials for pre integrated shopping carts running on your own server.

The way CS Cart do it certainly works. Hope that helps and good luck with finding the settings in Paypal.

P.S. I have a Paypal Pro account - so although it may be that my settings are different in a standard account, I would have thought they were the same for at least the standard “Paypal” and Express Checkout processors - but you wouldn't be able to use the Paypal Pro option without a Paypal Pro account (£20/month).

@applied

I appreciate your input. CS-Cart does not use IPN. If it did, there would be no issues.

My PayPal setting are correct and API Access is only available for Pro and Express. It's not an option in the Sandbox. I guess I'll have to try it with real PayPal accounts. I always used to test with real accounts but I stopped after PayPal decided not to refund the service charge when a refund is done.

We have used Paypal Pro along with Paypal Express Payments for 2-3 years now without a single issue. The orders are paid for, order statuses immediately changed to “Processed/Paid” and the funds are in our account as fast as you can say “show me the money”.

If you are using Paypal Standard Payments, then good luck and I would not want to be in your shoes ever again! :-)

@Struck

I've never had a single problem with PayPal Standard with my other sites that do not use CS-Cart. Those sites have worked flawlessly since 2006.

Back to CS-Cart… Are you saying PayPal Express is more reliable with CS-Cart then PayPal Standard?

[quote name='jeffshead' timestamp='1342322500' post='140769']

@Struck

I've never had a single problem with PayPal Standard with my other sites that do not use CS-Cart. Those sites have worked flawlessly since 2006.

Back to CS-Cart… Are you saying PayPal Express is more reliable with CS-Cart then PayPal Standard?

[/quote]

We receive several orders per day that were paid via Paypal Express payments, and seriously, it just plain works the way it should, just like a realtime credit card processing account. We used Paypal Standard Payments for years up until the time Express Payments was launched, the difference to us is like night & day and I would never consider switching back, what more can I say (other than I despise Paypal Standard Payments, antiquated technology)!

I set up PayPal Express and it does change the order status. I don't know why Standard does not.

The only thing I don't like about Express is it requires the buyer to create a PayPal account. Is there any way around that? Some users like to use credit cards only and don't want to set up a PayPal account.

[quote name=‘jeffshead’ timestamp=‘1342324631’ post=‘140772’]

I set up PayPal Express and it does change the order status. I don’t know why Standard does not.

The only thing I don’t like about Express is it requires the buyer to create a PayPal account. Is there any way around that? Some users like to use credit cards only and don’t want to set up a PayPal account.

[/quote]

During checkout we offer a payment method of “Credit Card” (which in our case the credit card payment processor is Paypal Pro which is seamless) and a seperate payment method named “Paypal Express”, so our customers would simply choose “Credit Card” so there is no confusion. ;-)

[quote name=‘Struck’ timestamp=‘1342368146’ post=‘140802’]

During checkout we offer a payment method of “Credit Card” (which in our case the credit card payment processor is Paypal Pro which is seamless) and a separate payment method named “Paypal Express”, so our customers would simply choose “Credit Card” so there is no confusion. ;-)

[/quote]

That’s what I would do if this was for my livelihood but this is more or less a hobby for me so I do not want to pay a monthly fee for a credit card processor. I figured out how to make it so PayPal Express acts just like PayPal Standard so it does not require the user to create a PayPal account.

Here is a link to my post: [url=“PayPal Express without a PayPal account - Configuration - CS-Cart and Multi-Vendor Community Forums | Connect with the Community | Find Solutions”]PayPal Express without a PayPal account - Configuration - CS-Cart and Multi-Vendor Community Forums | Connect with the Community | Find Solutions

Thanks for your input!

Ok, so if you are only offering non-merchant account payment methods, then here is another option for you:

https://www.paypal.c…yments-advanced

I view it as a 2012 year updated version of the aniquated Paypal Standard Payments.

Not sure if there is a direct integration to CS-Cart yet as it is rather new, although it appears to be a very good option for situations similar to what you mention.

I use both PayPal Express and PayPal Standard. I did have some problems a few versions ago with delayed status changes, but have not had any problems for a long time. Just received a PayPal standard order the other day with no order status issues.

I think the new PayPal method, (PayPal Payments Advanced" noted above was in another post. And as of that post, CS-CART did not have a module for that new method

Bob

Can someone tell me what's different about the way Express and Standard handle the transaction? Now that I figured out how to make Express not require the user to sign up for a PayPal account, I don't see any difference between the two.

EDIT: I see one difference… Express just lists the total price with no description whereas Standard lists the items and price of each. Other than that, I don't know what's different.

I'm assuming the consensus is that Express is more reliable?

If I were you guys, I would attempt to get a direct response from CS-Cart as to where they stand on this integration, might already be in the works & would certainly be a better straight forward option than offering Express Payments & Standard Payments in conjunction, that no doubt creates plenty of customer confusion!

There is also Alt-Team as a possible 3rd party solution.

Plus with “PayPal Payments Advanced” you are offered a Paypal Debit Mastercard to pull funds from your account with 1% cash back on your purchases. So, the plan is to pay for as many business related expenses as possible from your Paypal account using this card, gaining the 1% cashback thus further reducing your overall payment processing fees, it is a very useful perk.

Paypal Payment Advanced sure looks interesting - but can’t find any mention of it on Paypal’s UK website :-(.

[quote name=‘jeffshead’ timestamp=‘1342370289’ post=‘140807’]

Can someone tell me what’s different about the way Express and Standard handle the transaction? Now that I figured out how to make Express not require the user to sign up for a PayPal account, I don’t see any difference between the two.

[/quote]

The difference with Express checkout is that it is supposed to be shown on the cart after your other checkout options with “-- Or Use --” and then the Express Checkout logo (as per Google Checkout / Google Wallet) i.e. this is before you have started the checkout process and entered your address details into CS Cart. By using this it takes the account details from Paypal to pass back to CS Cart so the customer doesn’t have to enter their address details again. With Paypal standard it works the other way around - the address details are entered on CS Cart first and then you are just paying with Paypal (which is why you don’t need an account to pay). In this instance the Paypal address is not used. I prefer this as you have the customer’s details if the payment fails - but Express checkout may be easier / quicker for customers to order (but you don’t have the customer details until completed).