• londonman
  • Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:50 AM #181

hi there,

i install the RC3, but something bad happened
it was a list of word....

is there anything i did wrong ?

i guess i got it right now, it is about the host server, i let it blank, then everything goes well.

Edited by Lantan, 11 March 2012 - 05:38 AM.

• londonman
  • Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:45 AM #182

if i run the RC to online, what will it be?

• glyndon
  • Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:35 PM #183

At the moment you would be required to make your design compatible with the 960.gs grid system in order for you to work with your design on CS CART v.3.

I find this ironic that we already getting comments that our designs must be reworked to fit into a framework that is supposed to make CS-Cart more flexible.

I am not a fan of the 960 grid system at all and I feel this has set CS-Cart back 2 years in terms of usability. As a web agency our designs may be 950px, 988px or even 1204px as this is determined by the target audience and content not by a 3 year old framework.

I have already tried to amend the new CSS files to fit custom grids and I am not looking forward to doing this for every site.

For those people that like to lay out the site using the block manager would it not be a better idea to be able to amend the CSS properties of each block there? These changes could then be written into the CSS files. Have a look at the Concrete5 CMS for a much more flexible way of laying out blocks etc.

For us this is a disappointing step backwards.

Using all versions of CS-Cart since 1.3.4

• Triplets
  • Members
  • 1188 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:02 PM #184

I am not a fan of the 960 grid system at all and I feel this has set CS-Cart back 2 years in terms of usability. As a web agency our designs may be 950px, 988px or even 1204px as this is determined by the target audience and content not by a 3 year old framework.

For us this is a disappointing step backwards.

I agree 100% . The shopping cart should not dictate our design has to fit within 960 grid. The cart should be design independent. I have many clients that know their customers are more tech savvy and will have large displays. The 960 grid does not allow one to accommodate web design for large monitors or stretch to fill large displays. Definitely a step backwards. I might be forced to stick with 2.2.4

David

• solesurvivor
  • Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:07 PM #185

I like the 960.gs. It appears to be adaptable to any number of columns in turn you can easily customize your page width. I'm not sure i see the downside. It works for those who are tech savy as well as those who are not so tech savy. Its a win win as far as I can tell.

• Triplets
  • Members
  • 1188 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:59 PM #186

I like the 960.gs. It appears to be adaptable to any number of columns in turn you can easily customize your page width. I'm not sure i see the downside. It works for those who are tech savy as well as those who are not so tech savy. Its a win win as far as I can tell.

Maybe I am missing something? In the 960 gs how do you create a 3 column design that stretches to fit a monitors resolution (especially for large monitors)? Aren't you limited to fitting all the content within the 960 width?

• solesurvivor
  • Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:11 PM #187

Maybe I am missing something? In the 960 gs how do you create a 3 column design that stretches to fit a monitors resolution (especially for large monitors)? Aren't you limited to fitting all the content within the 960 width?

Good point. I'm not sure how to do that either. That may be limiting to say but those who have enough tech know (lol techno) should have no problem customizing to their needs. At least this is much better than what we have with 2.2.4 now.

• londonman
  • Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:17 PM #188

hi there,
i saw something about v2.2.4 at http://blog.cs-cart....-3-upgrade-faq/

Also, if both CS-Cart 3 and 2.2.4 are installed on the same server, you will be able to perform data transfer without creating a transition archive: CS-Cart 3 will be able to connect directly to MySQL database of CS-Cart 2.2.4 and gather all data automatically.

is this available now ?
give me me information

• TonyK
  • Members
  • 1686 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:13 PM #189

You cannot make it wider with 960.gs. This featured was requested 2 yrs ago by me, to be "grid" based. There are newer grids out there now.

but they took 2 yrs to implement so they are behind the ball a bit.

There are others out now like Twitter boostrap (http://twitter.githu...fluidGridSystem) That are both Fluid and Responsive.

It would be great if there were settings that said Ok what is your site width and then the layout grid was based off that.

So the base template was flexible or you could pick your Grid system in the admin panel and build accordingly.

This type of feature would be much more useful than having 25 skins that all are the same layout. IMO.

Tony

Pimpin' skins since v1.0

• colortone
  • Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:39 PM #190

I attempted the 978 grid, and It worked, but require adjust some other css declaration on style.css
But at last, we get rid of the old columns and negative margin frame, that worked ok for old browsers.

I guess the grid system will force a new approach on styling the inside elements on .tpl files. We'll see in the 3.0 cicle.

• Struck
  • Teetering on Genious
  • Members
  • 2502 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:49 PM #191

I agree 100% . The shopping cart should not dictate our design has to fit within 960 grid. The cart should be design independent. I have many clients that know their customers are more tech savvy and will have large displays. The 960 grid does not allow one to accommodate web design for large monitors or stretch to fill large displays. Definitely a step backwards. I might be forced to stick with 2.2.4

Very disappointing & definitely a huge step backwards and I for one will not run our site as "Fixed Width"....

I was just about to order the Ultimate Version pre-release, however, no way will I be moving from 2.2.4 until we have the option for fluid page widths, sorry!

EDIT: And on top of all this, in the year 2012, to have a design width limitation of any kind is a rediculously poor decision, but what is even more rediculous is to choose such a narrow width of only 960 Pixels, whoever made that decision should be fired! What were they thinking? Why would I want to display my business products with several inches of wasted space as dead margin area on a wide screen business monitor, rediculous thinking..........

EDIT>EDIT: Smart business owners view the current trend of wider monitor widths as an "opportunity" to display more of their product details on a single page with less scrolling, with larger images, and larger more readable text, why would anyone with common sense logic not take advantage of this opportunity??
And with the recent extreme popularity in big screen flat panel tv's, (now easily connectable to PC's and other internet browsing devices), we need to be taking advantage of this opportunity as well, not displaying our sites at a micro width of 960 Pixels!
Cooking with Gas on Version 4.1.2 (But proceeding with caution....)

• TonyK
  • Members
  • 1686 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:22 AM #192

This may help.

http://www.designinf...com/fluid960gs/

It would be nice if they kept the grid css in its own file and you could overwrite it with custom 960 code.

by using this generator. http://grids.heroku.com/
Pimpin' skins since v1.0

• Triplets
  • Members
  • 1188 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:27 AM #193

This may help.

It would be nice if they kept the grid css in its own file and you could overwrite it with custom 960 code.

by using this generator. http://grids.heroku.com/

That would be perfect, curious why they didn't implement that :(

• TonyK
  • Members
  • 1686 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:31 AM #194

Well again. my Uservoice was created 2 yrs ago....my "guess" is they just read it and took it at face value after it received enough votes.

but I don't have an answer for you.
Pimpin' skins since v1.0

• tbirnseth
  • CS Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 12156 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:42 AM #195

Sorry, but that's about the ugliest page I've ever seen trying to justify a design. While there are some neat things in there, it goes to show what happens when one is forced to "conform".

Did anyone every notice the word "prototype" in all the titles for the 960 grid?O

Oh well, just more to learn someday when I have a ton of spare time....

EZ Merchant Solutions: Custom (USA based) B2B Development, Consulting, Development and Special Projects (get a quote here).
Commercial addons, payment methods and modifications to meet your business and operations needs.

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:16 AM #196

when is it done and ready to use new cs-cart?

• starter
  • Trial users
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:21 AM #197

waw so nice ^_^

• Traveler
  • Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:02 PM #198

Will it be possible for CS Cart to change (perhaps in the next version) so that we will be able to have fluid widths easily or is it too late?

And can CS Cart show us how to modify 3.0 for fluid sites?

Version 4.13.3

• N1XUS
  • Banned for copyright violation
  • Banned
  • 202 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:32 PM #199

Will it be possible for CS Cart to change (perhaps in the next version) so that we will be able to have fluid widths easily or is it too late?

And can CS Cart show us how to modify 3.0 for fluid sites?

http://grids.heroku.com/fluid_grid.css?column_amount=16
http://grids.heroku....olumn_amount=12
Those css files might help you

• Traveler
  • Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:42 AM #200

http://grids.heroku....olumn_amount=16
http://grids.heroku....olumn_amount=12
Those css files might help you

Thank you.

Version 4.13.3