• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Renaming admin.php for safety Rate Topic   - - - - -

• Feature100
  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 08:33 PM #1

Is it okay to rename admin.php for security reasons. Is it worth doing?

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:10 PM #2

depends, I guess having everyone's key left at the same position on all doors makes things easier for everyone, but what if you're the only one with use to the door?

Change it to whatever you like then change the variable in config.php to the correct php file and your done.

I havn't changed mine as it isn't live and it's easier to remember at the moment
I've moved on from CS-Cart to WooC******** - If you need anything I can be of little help.

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:12 PM #3

Hi

Yes you can, but please remember to change the config.php contents to what your new name for it is.

$admin_index = 'admin.php';
$customer_index = 'index.php';
$partner_index = 'partner.php';
$image_index = 'image.php';

You could however add code to an .htaccess that would mean you have to login befor you could access the admin.php login area.

If you do not know how to do this then try this link and all will be explained and done for you. http://www.tools.dyn...e.com/password/

The choice is yours and you could do both.

Hope this helps

Richard
Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you’re going to do now and do it

Now using CS-Cart 2.0.5

Posted 16 March 2007 - 02:23 PM #4

Hi
You could however add code to an .htaccess that would mean you have to login befor you could access the admin.php login area.

Thanks for the tips! I decided not to rename the admin.php since this would have to be another upgrade issue to address.

However password protect just the admin.php and it works great!

I did notice that my admin.php file security setting was at 777. The pre-installation instructions said to change the following files to 777
• admin.php from 644 to 777
• index.php from 644 to 777
• image.php from 644 to 777
• images folder from 755 to 777 (Folder Only)
• skins folder from 755 to 777 (Folder Only)

Then the various post installation instructions said to change the following file security settings:
• Changed yoursite.com/store folder from 777 back to 755
• Changed config.php from 777 back to 644
• Leave var directory at 777
• Leave skins directory at 777
• store/var/database/backup (folder only) from 755 to 777

Shouldn't the admin.php file security settings be changed back to 644 and possibly some other files/folders?
CS-Cart 1.3.4-sp3

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:23 AM #5

Nevermind...found the answer in the following post:
http://forum.cs-cart...t=admin.php 644
CS-Cart 1.3.4-sp3

• bholland
  • Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:59 AM #6

I get that you can change the path and rename your admin.php file in the config, but would it also work to set the path to a subdomain? http://admin.mydomain.com/ Would I run into issues with this?

Thanks,

B

Posted 21 March 2007 - 12:29 PM #7

Your store urls are specified within the config.php file, if you don't change the store's url it will always look in the cs-cart root directory, regardless of what subdomain it is
I've moved on from CS-Cart to WooC******** - If you need anything I can be of little help.

• bholland
  • Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 04:43 PM #8

Are store URL and admin URL one and the same (I don't have access to look in that config file right now)? What I want to do is have the admin piece of my store on the subdomain admin.mydomain.com and have the customer portion on mydomain.com.