• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

CS-Cart Multi-Store Beta is ready for testing Rate Topic   * * * * * 3 votes

• Members
  • 509 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:32 PM #101

I don't think my suggestion (that CS-Cart Multi-Store support the Community Edition) is asking too much - it just builds on the logic behind the existing CE offering: provide a free but limited version and upsell the developer to the full version. A shopowner could cast a much wider net by spawning 100+ CE storefronts with unique branding but the same products. Yes, this probably qualifies as spamdexing, but we've already crossed that line with the Multi-Store version. On that topic, I wonder what the search ranking implications are? Will Google penalize Multi-Store shops for having identical content?

Glen

• Struck
  • Teetering on Genious
  • Members
  • 2502 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:35 PM #102

Will Google penalize Multi-Store shops for having identical content?

Absolutely....In fact it is probably the biggest no-no in their rules book & the absolute last thing Google wants to see.

Anyone planning on displaying identical products across multiple domains needs to plan on investing the effort into writing unique category & product descriptions at the absolute very least. :huh:
Cooking with Gas on Version 4.1.2 (But proceeding with caution....)

• tbirnseth
  • CS Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 12156 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:40 AM #103

This might be a topic to really fact-check completely. Just because two different sites have an exact same listing does not mean they will be penalized (I don't believe, but also can't make a for-certain response). Most products come with descriptions from their manufacturers and most sites would use those. So target.com might have the same description for a "Casio Navihawk Watch" as walmart.com. I seriously doubt that either would be penalized by using consistent (manufacturer supplied) descriptions. Note too that the casio.com site would also be penalized then...

The statement they'd be penalized just makes me nervous and fires off my internal warning buzzers... But as I said, I do not have absolute knowledge that it won't be. But it sure doesn't make any sense (to me).

EZ Merchant Solutions: Custom (USA based) B2B Development, Consulting, Development and Special Projects (get a quote here).
Commercial addons, payment methods and modifications to meet your business and operations needs.

• Struck
  • Teetering on Genious
  • Members
  • 2502 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:57 AM #104

Just because two different sites have an exact same listing does not mean they will be penalized (I don't believe, but also can't make a for-certain response).

Tony,

As food for thought, if what you mention was indeed the case, it would be quite easy to completely overtake & dominate the entire 1st page of Google listings for relevant key words. All you would have to do is take a successful site, and duplicate it across multiple domains all with the same content. Back in the good old days of eCommerce this was a common practice by several, no longer will this work.... Of course today other things play a factor in your site ranking such as backlinks, reciprocal links, age of your domain, etc. which makes it more difficult to dominate the rankings.

They "Google" will most likely not shut your duplicate sites down, however, they will make certain you don't dominate their rankings by lowering the rankings of some of your duplicated sites. To me, this is considered to be a penalty. Running multiple sites can be alot of extra work that for many will not be worth the efforts unless they have enough unique content to justify it.

I do believe this Multi-store scenario is going to get interesting, although I believe people setting up multiple stores all of which contains totally unique products will see the real benefit behind it all. ;)

• dustundag
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:36 AM #105

The ip numbers of the similar mutishops would probably become very important. if they have the same ip, the worst case, secod worst case within the same network xxx.xxx.xxx.(1-254)

Tony,

As food for thought, if what you mention was indeed the case, it would be quite easy to completely overtake & dominate the entire 1st page of Google listings for relevant key words. All you would have to do is take a successful site, and duplicate it across multiple domains all with the same content. Back in the good old days of eCommerce this was a common practice by several, no longer will this work.... Of course today other things play a factor in your site ranking such as backlinks, reciprocal links, age of your domain, etc. which makes it more difficult to dominate the rankings.

They "Google" will most likely not shut your duplicate sites down, however, they will make certain you don't dominate their rankings by lowering the rankings of some of your duplicated sites. To me, this is considered to be a penalty. Running multiple sites can be alot of extra work that for many will not be worth the efforts unless they have enough unique content to justify it.

I do believe this Multi-store scenario is going to get interesting, although I believe people setting up multiple stores all of which contains totally unique products will see the real benefit behind it all. ;)

• Webmonkey
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:32 AM #106

Bad news all, CS-CART have just advised me that the offical release will not be released until 2012 :(

why do I get the feeling we going down the same old path when it comes to release dates with CS-CART :(

Webmonkey
Allendale-group.co.uk

• dennis
  • Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:31 PM #107

Absolutely....In fact it is probably the biggest no-no in their rules book & the absolute last thing Google wants to see.

Anyone planning on displaying identical products across multiple domains needs to plan on investing the effort into writing unique category & product descriptions at the absolute very least. :huh:

Hmm, we running already a few multishops now, our experience is all the shops with the identical products are ranked in google. Our search ranking is not lower then before.

Google depend their ranking on too much other basics and subjects for the ranking. So this issue is not very heavy weighted in my opinion. In a later stadium, it can be very interesting to have identical links in other websites, that means the products are very known in the market (what can deliver higher or knowned ranking). Now you should thinking, this is not true, but what do you think of "google shopping"? Scary isn't, all identical products. :blink:

So, do not hesitate to expand your business and make it yourself easy with multi-shops before it is too late.
Innovate, improve, look forward...

• Struck
  • Teetering on Genious
  • Members
  • 2502 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:06 AM #108

Hello Dennis,

our experience is all the shops with the identical products are ranked in google.

They will index these duplicated content pages no problem, however, I think you will find over time that the duplicated content, product pages, etc. will never gain nearly as high of ranking in Google as the original product page currently has. ;) They will not allow you to dominate the first page keyword search listings unless they simply have no other sites to list, as in an extremely obscure, very non-popular search phrase.

So, yes, you can build 50 identical sites and probably get them all indexed "somewhere" in the results, although if you are listed on page 30 for these duplicated sites, then you are doing nothing more than putting a ton of extra effort forth with little to no tangible benefit!

That is why I mentioned that to really see the benefit of duplicated product pages, it is best to re-write page descriptive text between these sites (of course this is a fair amount of additional work). And as Dustundag stated above, using multiple IP address ranges would most likely be very wise as well. You certainly don't want to build 25 duplicate stores and shove them all out from the same server IP address and expect to go un-noticed by Google!

And PS: I will most likely purchase the MultiStore version the day it becomes available, because I need more excitement in my daily routine and a new toy! So, I am not trying to persuade anyone from the MultiStore approach, I am only saying that I am quite certain it will not be beneficial for just anyone, however, it will certainly have a place in the mix. ;)

• Webmonkey
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:19 PM #109

Hi Guys,

A couple of questions for you...

1. Is anyone using this Beta version on a live site?

2. Is or has anyone here used: http://www.alt-team....hop-add-on.html if so any feedback? bad or good :)

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

WebMonkey

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:17 PM #110

Hello,

Inorder to sell using CSCart Multiple store in the EU, flexibile currency for each store is needed (Euro, GBP, Danish kr, Swedish Kr, Norwegian Kr, Swiss ++ and maybe soon again Italian Li.. Greek Dr.. Spanish Pe.. ;).
But version 1.0 seems to head for one currency.
Actually there is no complexity offering multiple currencies beta - one for each store.
So why is this not offered from onset?

Condition for activating currecy #2..#3 etc.. can be that webstore admin on activation confirms to accepts liability to accumulative inaccuracies + a currency convertion input field for manual/automatic currency updates.

One vote for multiple currencies here!

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:27 PM #111

We have telecom dealers and telecom operators who would be interested in us offering CS-Cart Multi-Store for their costumers.

But is it correct you are planning to make it possible for a telecom costumer with an account to one operator (store A) automatically can log into the competitors store B? This sounds surprising.

Incase we suggest this as an option administrator can set for each store.

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:35 PM #112

We suggest this store be equipped with google simultaneous translating chat functionality or prepared for integrtation against such in cases where store C or D is opened against a market with language barrier, like if we open a store in St.Petersburg from Oslo, and ship from Narva, Estonia.

• tbirnseth
  • CS Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 12156 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:15 PM #113

@limeleopard - are you confusing the multi-store with multi-vendor? Seems like your questions are more relative to the multi-vendor version. I believe one of the main concepts is that the multi-store is meant for a single merchant to manage multiple sites (usually with a common inventory) from a single admin interface.

It could be I'm confused by your concern about someone logging into a competitor's store. That would imply more of a multi-vendor version....

If the goal is to have someone issue "franchises" for telecomm, then it would seem that multi-vendor would be a much more appropriate version since I'm sure pricing would vary for the same product amongst the franchisees and each franchisee would want to present the products within their own marketing schemes.

EZ Merchant Solutions: Custom (USA based) B2B Development, Consulting, Development and Special Projects (get a quote here).
Commercial addons, payment methods and modifications to meet your business and operations needs.

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:35 PM #114

Hello!

Thanks for your input. There are many different ways to operate a multistore and we probably all have slightly different ideas and needs. Hence the portal must have some flexibility to gain broad market ground.

I will study the vendor solution more in detail, but I think we are in need of a multi store, I just mentioned ONE usage here as an example. We have toady several shops specializing on small telecom segments. With multistore we can run these stores from one single backend. As we also operate stores in markets with different language and currencies - even if sending from same stock, a flexible currency option would be imperative for our usage.

Today telecom operators send costumers to us to order loosing profit.
Others offer a selection of our products poorly presented inside their own portals/sites.
A multistore can increase profits for both.

While actually shopping from our store, costumers will virtually feel they are in the operators (or dealers) store/brand store. Each storefront will have the operators own skin/feel, relevant url, contact info, pricing, campaigns banners, polls, info pages, faqs and more.

All orders are processsed backend by in the same supplier, us.

With a usage like this each storefront will have its own base of costumers and automatic cross membership between stores is not likely to be tolerated.

• thefoliage
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 08:08 PM #115

I am looking forward to this being released. Subscribe!

• tbirnseth
  • CS Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 12156 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 01:09 AM #116

@limeleopard - I can only address the usage that I've read as being supported at this time. As I understand it, the themes can all be different (but managed at the store versus the common admin). However, inventory is intended to synchronize across stores as products are purchased, added to the cart, etc..

I'm not sure about the pricing but assume it can also be separate for each store. MVE has all payments going through the main site merchant and then that merchant pays out to the "vendors". I believe shipping is on a vendor by vendor basis in MVE. However, I believe that in MVE, the themes across vendors are the same...

I don't use cs-cart multi-store since I have my own solution that deals only with inventory updates while the rest of the sites are managed independently. However, I have been watching it unfold as various pieces of MVE or multi-store have been folded into to the core code bit by bit.

• imac
  • CEO
  • CS-Cart Architects
  • 2077 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:01 PM #117

We have telecom dealers and telecom operators who would be interested in us offering CS-Cart Multi-Store for their costumers.

But is it correct you are planning to make it possible for a telecom costumer with an account to one operator (store A) automatically can log into the competitors store B? This sounds surprising.

Incase we suggest this as an option administrator can set for each store.

Dear limeleopard,
Yes there is an option "Share users among stores". When it's ticked off a customer can log in to any of the storefronts. Otherwise they are able to log in only to the storefront where their account was created.
Ilya Makarov,
CS-Cart Architect Team
Suggest and vote for new features | Report a bug

• imac
  • CEO
  • CS-Cart Architects
  • 2077 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:16 PM #118

Hello!

Thanks for your input. There are many different ways to operate a multistore and we probably all have slightly different ideas and needs. Hence the portal must have some flexibility to gain broad market ground.

I will study the vendor solution more in detail, but I think we are in need of a multi store, I just mentioned ONE usage here as an example. We have toady several shops specializing on small telecom segments. With multistore we can run these stores from one single backend. As we also operate stores in markets with different language and currencies - even if sending from same stock, a flexible currency option would be imperative for our usage.

Today telecom operators send costumers to us to order loosing profit.
Others offer a selection of our products poorly presented inside their own portals/sites.
A multistore can increase profits for both.

While actually shopping from our store, costumers will virtually feel they are in the operators (or dealers) store/brand store. Each storefront will have the operators own skin/feel, relevant url, contact info, pricing, campaigns banners, polls, info pages, faqs and more.

All orders are processsed backend by in the same supplier, us.

With a usage like this each storefront will have its own base of costumers and automatic cross membership between stores is not likely to be tolerated.

I think Multi-Store will suite your needs. The main point is that there won't be a vendor area in Multi-Store where some third party companies can manage their products. As I understand all the products in your stores are managed by you and your staff - so that's what Multi-Store is meant for
Ilya Makarov,
CS-Cart Architect Team

• imac
  • CEO
  • CS-Cart Architects
  • 2077 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:24 PM #119

@limeleopard - I can only address the usage that I've read as being supported at this time. As I understand it, the themes can all be different (but managed at the store versus the common admin).

Yes, that's right.

However, inventory is intended to synchronize across stores as products are purchased, added to the cart, etc..

I'm not sure about the pricing but assume it can also be separate for each store.

There is an ability to share products among storefronts, and at the same time you can set different prices and descriptions for the same product in each storefront. So you can have the same inventory and configuration, but still set up different product prices and descriptions (if you want to).
Ilya Makarov,
CS-Cart Architect Team

• Erwin
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:33 PM #120

Hello all,

Love to see this being released.
I allready installed it on a sub domein. But when i try to login to the admin.php it says HTTP 404 not found.
The file is there, and the index.php works great only cannot login to admin panel.

Does someone else have this problem?

Regards,
Erwin