• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hey where can I sell my CS-Cart license? Rate Topic   * * * * * 1 votes

• ibodybuild
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:53 PM #1

Hey everyone,

I haven't used my CS-Cart for a few years now and back then I believe I paid $200 for it for the LIFETIME license. I'm wondering where you guys think I could sell my license?

Thanks in advance.

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:07 PM #2

Hey everyone,

I haven't used my CS-Cart for a few years now and back then I believe I paid $200 for it for the LIFETIME license. I'm wondering where you guys think I could sell my license?

Thanks in advance.

I'd happy to buy it, however should make you aware that it should have cost at most $165
I've moved on from CS-Cart to WooC******** - If you need anything I can be of little help.

• ibodybuild
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:27 PM #3

I'd happy to buy it, however should make you aware that it should have cost at most $165

It says in my help desk that it was bought for $195.

• user2008
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:42 AM #4

I think LIFETIME license now should be least USD1000$

Becouse LIFETIME license not available for new license holders.

• ibodybuild
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:51 PM #5

I think LIFETIME license now should be least USD1000$

Becouse LIFETIME license not available for new license holders.

I don't think anyone would buy it for that much.

• weather
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:50 AM #6

I think there is some confusion on what exactly the term "lifetime" means here. I believe with CS Cart it means you pay a one time fee for the cart and it allows you to use the cart forever, or for a lifetime. This is entirely different that getting upgrades for a lifetime.

• ibodybuild
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:55 AM #7

I have the lifetime upgrades license that I bought many years ago.

• Traveler
  • Members
  • 920 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:37 AM #8

You can't sell a CS Cart license- unless you are a reseller.

I tried to buy one and they were clear that it is not allowed when I wanted to transfer the license.

Unless something has changed?

Version 4.9.2

• ibodybuild
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:02 AM #9

You can't sell a CS Cart license- unless you are a reseller.

I tried to buy one and they were clear that it is not allowed when I wanted to transfer the license.

Unless something has changed?

You are right. They told me I wasn't allowed to sell it. That policy is WRONG on so many levels. I should be entitled to sell it.

• clips
  • Aged Resident Loon
  • Members
  • 1650 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:41 PM #10

Some places selling software mention that you can't "transfer" the software. This is one of those copyright/ownership issues that I think will be challenged at some point here in the US in a court of law. The reason is, if I purchase a car and want to sell it, the auto maker cannot tell me I am not allowed to transfer the rights of ownership. For any software company to say what you can't do with something you purchase will be challenged at some point.

I'm sure you can get a lot of "opinions" about this on the forum here. ;)

In regards to CS saying you can't transfer your "lifetime" license, well, I guess it is a good way for them to try to "kill" those "lifetime" license they have out there still. <_<

Maybe you could go back and look at the license you agreed to at that point when you purchased it. I'm not for sure if they had their "no transfer" rule then or not.

If I were you, I would create some/any site, using CS-Cart, to post your product on and just link back to your primary domain. You can even make it a catalog and turn off the ability to purchase on the site. If anything it is a positive back link to you? :D If you did this, without a doubt, I would take the "CS-Cart" off at the bottom. If they are unwilling to work with you I would not give them a back link...no offense to CS-Cart.
Regards,
Jim

• whiplash13
  • PM Extraordinaire
  • Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:58 PM #11

Some places selling software mention that you can't "transfer" the software. This is one of those copyright/ownership issues that I think will be challenged at some point here in the US in a court of law. The reason is, if I purchase a car and want to sell it, the auto maker cannot tell me I am not allowed to transfer the rights of ownership. For any software company to say what you can't do with something you purchase will be challenged at some point.

I'm sure you can get a lot of "opinions" about this on the forum here. ;)

So this brings up a good point for a hypothetical situation. I have a store that does really, really well So well that eBay offers to buy it for 1.3 Million Dollars (I wish!). Based on what I am reading, I wouldn't be able to sell them the business since I can't transfer the license. Does this sound correct? If it is that is really messed up. I realize they could buy a new license and update the license in the cart but they shouldn't have to.
John
CS Cart 4.2.4

• clips
  • Aged Resident Loon
  • Members
  • 1650 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:36 AM #12

Not all software companies do it this way, but it appears that CS wants to operate this way. The strange part is, I could have sworn that at some point in the past I saw others selling their cart. So I am guessing that this is something new they have come up with. I'm surprised some of the "seasoned" CS users have not tuned in on this subject.
Regards,
Jim

• orangegirl
  • Support engineer
  • CS-Cart Support
  • 589 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:20 AM #13

Hello ibodybuild!

According to our License Agreement the license owner has no right to "sell, transfer, obligate, license, sublicense, rent, lease, give for temporary use, yield or convey (by selling, exchanging, giving as a gift, by law, or in any other way) the Program, any of its copies (or any of its parts), Licenses and other rights to them, partially or in full, to a third party without a prior written consent of the Company".

So, you are right, it is not allowed to sell a CS-Cart license.

We are sorry to hear that this fact does not suit you, but you were aware of it before purchasing a license and accepted our terms and conditions.
Kate Lazarevskaya,
CS-Cart Support Engineer
CS-Cart Knowledge Base | CS-Cart Reference Guide

• clips
  • Aged Resident Loon
  • Members
  • 1650 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:43 PM #14

I'm not a lawyer, but the part that says, "...without a prior written consent of the Company" seems to mean that they have and do allow "some" people to resell with "written consent". I guess they just decided that you were not worthy to resell yours.

Again, at some point CS may be challenged on this "rule" in the US market as this has been a point of conflict on other types of software. I doubt they have to worry about much for a while as they are small compared to the big software companies.

Wouldn't it be funny if I sold my old PC for $100 and I had to tell whomever bought it off me that they had to wipe the Windows 7 off it because they were not the "original" licensee? Oh wait, I've bought used PCs for the kids before. When I had an issue and had to call MS I just told them I bought the PC and there were no issues, but that is because MS probably got in trouble before.

This rule is not an issue of theft or a software company trying to protect their software. I have no problem with that at all. I do wish CS-Cart would explain why they have this VERY unfriendly rule.
Regards,
Jim

• ibodybuild
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:32 PM #15

I'm not a lawyer, but the part that says, "...without a prior written consent of the Company" seems to mean that they have and do allow "some" people to resell with "written consent". I guess they just decided that you were not worthy to resell yours.

Again, at some point CS may be challenged on this "rule" in the US market as this has been a point of conflict on other types of software. I doubt they have to worry about much for a while as they are small compared to the big software companies.

Wouldn't it be funny if I sold my old PC for $100 and I had to tell whomever bought it off me that they had to wipe the Windows 7 off it because they were not the "original" licensee? Oh wait, I've bought used PCs for the kids before. When I had an issue and had to call MS I just told them I bought the PC and there were no issues, but that is because MS probably got in trouble before.

This rule is not an issue of theft or a software company trying to protect their software. I have no problem with that at all. I do wish CS-Cart would explain why they have this VERY unfriendly rule.

Well said. They should make their policy about this more aware to people. I had no idea that this was the case as I assumed that when I buy something I own it and are entitled to do with it what I wish as long as I don't use it against the law.

• clips
  • Aged Resident Loon
  • Members
  • 1650 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:41 PM #16

This is in their "terms". So they are not hiding anything. You can view their whole license here...
https://www.cs-cart.com/license.html

I have more of a problem with CS being unfair to allow some to transfer and not allow others. As long as you get "permission" they should allow you to transfer. To discriminate against one user over another may be another legal issue.

Just remember, if anyone were to "challenge" CS they would have to do it in the Russia Federation according to their license. Again, this could probably still be challenged in the US because they sell here, but again, when you buy the license you agree to it. I believe they just need to make it more "world" friendly. I know CS is trying to protect their backside, but they really should not be denying the ability for some to "transfer" a license and allowing others to do so.

BTW, I have nothing to do with "weather". Just giving an opinion that CS needs to be consistent and if someone request a "transfer of license" they should allow it in writing on a consistent basis and not discriminate against individual users.
Regards,
Jim

• whiplash13
  • PM Extraordinaire
  • Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:38 AM #17

This is in their "terms". So they are not hiding anything. You can view their whole license here...
https://www.cs-cart.com/license.html

I have more of a problem with CS being unfair to allow some to transfer and not allow others. As long as you get "permission" they should allow you to transfer. To discriminate against one user over another may be another legal issue.

Just remember, if anyone were to "challenge" CS they would have to do it in the Russia Federation according to their license. Again, this could probably still be challenged in the US because they sell here, but again, when you buy the license you agree to it. I believe they just need to make it more "world" friendly. I know CS is trying to protect their backside, but they really should not be denying the ability for some to "transfer" a license and allowing others to do so.

BTW, I have nothing to do with "weather". Just giving an opinion that CS needs to be consistent and if someone request a "transfer of license" they should allow it in writing on a consistent basis and not discriminate against individual users.

It would be cheaper to just have the person buying your business purchase a new CS-Cart license then it would be to challenge it unfortunately.
John
CS Cart 4.2.4

• colortone
  • Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:11 AM #18

Why not let transfer the license to somebody that could do a better use of it instead of let the license die.
There is so much collateral job generated around an active license, that the main purpose should be keep those license live. People buy addons, skins and the users base grows.

They could place a rule, that lifetime license is for unique user, and could be sold only as regular license. The seller get some of the money back, and the new user just get a license for one year a good price. That is fair.

In the long run cs-cart also benefits of those lifetime licenses getting all converted to regular license. But the license is kept active. Is someone is leaving, better to have someone replacing him.

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:49 PM #19

I agree, its a shame they won't let you sell it on. I've also got a lifetime free upgrade licence which I don't use. I would have thought it would have been better to allow the licence to be sold on and keep the user base up.
Take everything you like seriously, except yourselves. - Rudyard Kipling

• clips
  • Aged Resident Loon
  • Members
  • 1650 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:47 PM #20

It would be cheaper to just have the person buying your business purchase a new CS-Cart license then it would be to challenge it unfortunately.

Yep, that is the unfortunate part. They know they have you by the throat. Most of the small business that use CS don't have the funds to be able to challenge them here in the US, let alone in another country. I really wouldn't want CS to get challenged in court anyway. The better way would be for them to just make their "transfer" policy more consistent and customer friendly.

Again, the sad part is, if someone "buys my business" and they take my copies of Quickbooks, my copies of Windows 7, my copies of pretty much any of the other software I own...except CS-Cart? What is up with that?? All of the other software companies just transfer the license over to the new business. The only other software I "had" that did not transfer was a POS system and I have sense canned them because of their poor customer service. The fact that they would not transfer our POS was only part of their poor service.

To me CS has good customer service, I just feel their transfer rule here needs to be consistent and more customer friendly. If this person wants to "sell" their CS-Cart license then it should be permitted.
Regards,
Jim