• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Next Mod... Rate Topic   - - - - -

• SWS
  • Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 10:52 PM #21

The entire checkout as it stands is very confusing...

Im selling through it yes, but from a customers perspective they have 3 or 4 pages to go through just to order...

Lets take a standard setup...

View Cart : lets see what we are about to order here...

Checkout : Enter their info first before viewing their total prices....
(this has been brought up numerous times about shipping costs)

Order Details : View their order AGAIN ! but this time including Shipping
(this basically says.. forget the impulse buying.. are you really really really sure you want to be ordering this, look its now costing you more !!! )

Summary Ok, so heres who you are (even more confirmation of details) now do you fancy giving us some money, if so enter your card details etc...

Order Complete : Ok so lets show you the entire order again...with a really tiny "confirmation" or failure notice... hmmm did that go through or didnt it..

If it fails, well what a shambles, they have no way to re-try with new card details, it should re-direct back to a payment type page saying please retry..

------------------

There you have it, in lamens terms... A checkout should consist of getting them through their order as painless as possible with the least amount of steps, anybody who is a salesman knows that the least paperwork possible and getting somebody whilst acting on impulse is the best way to achieve a sale... Once they are reminded several times exactly what they are doing, it gives them time to think.. consider, maybe I can try somewhere else first....

I know im repeating myself but theres no way CS are going to code this as standard at the moment, they have other things on their minds such as new features not improving old ones which work..

------------------

I vote 100% on a checkout mod, maybe even customisable so that you can organise it as you please.. Not sure on specifics but a 1 page checkout would certainly suite me down to the ground...
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

• SWS
  • Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:01 PM #22

I suppose the thing to do is, to ask directly if they plan to update their checkout flow and when.. if its not for months, and nobody else is interested, ill go ahead and book it custom coded myself..
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:05 AM #23

Sounds VERY good SWS,
I'm going to need impusle buying in the future and a one page shot sounds a LOT better then having to await 4 page loads and configuration(s)
I've moved on from CS-Cart to WooC******** - If you need anything I can be of little help.

• Palmtop
  • Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:19 AM #24

I'm also interested in one page checkout and to "Be sure to get Everything You Need" feature.

I noticed that many carts are dropped before final checkout (I saw this also with another e-comm software we're using); so I think that these carts are dropped by customers who don't like to complete up to 4 steps....

So: we need only one page with all informations useful to complete order process. Is this cart ok? Well: one step and You buy goods. Do you need some other items, are you sure to have all you need? Ok, I can also give you these related products..choose one and complete your order only in one step again!

This is like to "seen/bought" item...

So if you plan to collect money for this MOD, I'll be with you!

Regards!

• SWS
  • Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:20 AM #25

Well they have the knowledge of Ajax (which I dont)

So things like the shipping can all be done with Ajax... no need for a seperate page, instead shipping price will display "enter your address first"
once entered, shipping will magically appear....

It can be done, and should be done...
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

• MikeK
  • Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 03:47 AM #26

If only to make my thoughts known, I don't have as much of a need for a "Would you like fries with your hamburger", mod as I would for a related products one. For me, related products is a much better method of increasing revenue. Related products are directly related to the topic of interest to my customer, thus, they're in the right mindset to add to their order. Asking if they got everything they need at the end of the process is less likely to be productive than presenting upsell options while they're looking at a product of interest.

A streamlined checkout would be nice, but I still think CS should be doing it. Can someone ask them?

Cheers,
Mike

Posted 13 March 2007 - 04:03 AM #27

I'll add one to the have you got everything as my store has a completely different product range. Quicker checkout would be 100% more beneficial for impulse purchases
I've moved on from CS-Cart to WooC******** - If you need anything I can be of little help.

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:21 PM #28

It would be nice to let the customer view the estimated shipping charges on the Checkout Cart screen. This would let the customer immediately know what to expect for shipping and handling for the products that they have selected. Just allow them the option of selecting the shipping method, zip code and optional country on the View Cart screen. These setting would remain throughout the shopping session. There is nothing more irritating then having to full out the entire address information just to find out that the S&H is unacceptable. Let the customer know exactly what the final cost will be before filling out the contact and billing information.

View Cart
* Cart Items
* Shipping Method
Billing Screen
* Contact Information
* Billing Address
* Billing Information
Thank You/Receipt Screen
* Printable Receipt

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:26 PM #29

+1 to tundra's cart thoughput.
Seems simple and quick.
Most importantly it allows the customer to view their shipping costs (should it be possible)

• SWS
  • Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:30 PM #30

Ok, Ill shut up now..

Checkout is being re-worked for 1.3.5
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:35 PM #31

You're just posting for more post points aren't ya SWS?
I really do like Tundra's Idea although I would prefer if CS-Dev's posted a few snippets about how and what they're working on. It's frustrating not knowing what they're doing while we're brainstorming all the way

• brandonvd
  • is Super Awesome
  • Members
  • 2633 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 02:48 PM #32

I agree with Jesse. I also really like how Frozen Tundra has the layout for checkout and it would be nice to know if this is similar to what CS is planning or not before a bunch of money is spent in developing this.

Brandon

• MikeK
  • Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 04:40 PM #33

We should appoint a liaison to work with CS-C to coordinate development of these mod's. Not much sense in paying CS-C to develop something they're going to do themselves. On the otherhand, if I were in their shoes I certainly would appreciate customers that want to kick in a few bucks on something they would otherwise get for free. (I wouldn't actually do that because it's somewhat deceptive, and I seriously doubt CS-C would do it either. In all the time I've been on these forums, I don't recall reading a single complaint from someone who felt they were ripped off.) My own personal experience with CS-C is that they are always more than fair and provide products and services that are worth far more than what they charge. However, I think CS-C would be justified in not wanting to publicly expose what they're developing because it is well known that competitors are lurking in the forums. It's bad business to tip your hand too early in the game. But it wouldn't be out of line to discuss such things confidentially with a liaison.

Here's an idea, Let's form a CS-C users group!

I nominate Sno for liaison since he's doing such a great job already.

Cheers,
Mike

• SWS
  • Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 05:48 PM #34

I found this out the hard way. I used my forum to post things in development, ideas and feature requests..
I then found some of my competition including those unique ideas

So I created a Beta area, with a small group of testers and am in constant communication with them about things they would like to see etc, after all, The user knows what they want more than the developer....

This works a treat and would work for CS, however a single appointed liason probably isnt the answer, more so a Custom area in setup in Vbulletin where only a selection get privelages... but then the hard part is, who do you let in and who do you not....

Its a difficult one really, Im happy not knowing, but if theres something I strongly plan to do... then Ill ask them myself first and if necessary, share it with the forum anyway...
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

• Brandito
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:23 PM #35

Ok, Ill shut up now..

Checkout is being re-worked for 1.3.5

Yeah... But even so, it doesn't mean that the new checkout will be done right... Take for example the CSS skin in SP3...
[SIZE="1"]Current Version:
CS Cart 1.3.4 SP2

Current Mods installed:
Thickbox (with e-menu) : Tabbed product details : Previous & Next Navigation (with SEO mod by SWS) : Manufacturer META tags[/SIZE]

• Zyles
  • Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:35 PM #36

Yeah... But even so, it doesn't mean that the new checkout will be done right... Take for example the CSS skin in SP3...

Exactly. I think we need a say in how it should look and function. Because they already made one version which really isn't all that good. And just because it is re-done doesn't mean it will be better.

CS-Cart should communicate with the cart users to come up with the most efficient checkout flow possible, instead of releasing a new one that will dissapoint and having us wait for yet another "fix".

Just like they added SEO and it sucked. We have no idea what the hell they are doing and if it will be good or not.

I also believe CS-Cart should have a Quality Assurance team that tries the cart, finds bugs etc before a new release. Because I've found so many bugs to date in the released versions that could have been fixed before that somehow slipped by. More quality testing and brainstorming with people outside their own company will only benefit themselves. Having experts help out with issues on how stuff should be designed and have input in the project would not be a bad thing.
Marketing tip:

Did you know a targeted e-mail marketing campaign can bring conversion rates up to 3.9%? By using reliable e-mail marketing software you can upsell to existing customers on a tight budget. If you are not using e-mail marketing you are missing out big time. I recommend and use Aweber.

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:29 PM #37

Though not exactly a point for mod development, i am hoping that this thread does not turn into a Marketing Research campain.
Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you’re going to do now and do it

Now using CS-Cart 2.0.5

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:35 PM #38

Have i missed a skin somewhere, did i hear you say CSS.
Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you’re going to do now and do it

Now using CS-Cart 2.0.5

• Brandito
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 12:44 AM #39

The CS devs did a little work to the default blue theme in the SP3 release. Although, from what I have seen it what very sloppy...
[SIZE="1"]Current Version:
CS Cart 1.3.4 SP2

Current Mods installed:
Thickbox (with e-menu) : Tabbed product details : Previous & Next Navigation (with SEO mod by SWS) : Manufacturer META tags[/SIZE]

• Luthien
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:18 AM #40

My vote is for a streamlined checkout. The best part of having so many people involved is that it will be more strenuously bug checked before going into the next release. Everyone's store is setup differently so we'd be more likely to catch problems.