Automotive Fastener Website

Our first site using CS-Cart has been interesting. The first thing we learned really fast was that you should NEVER load all of the languages or even keep them in your database! They will kill the loading time of your site and if you have 10,000 items like we do many people won’t even be able to add something to the cart without getting an error.

With that, we invite you to check out our first venture with CS…

www.thecliplink.com - Automotive Fasteners and Clips

Thanks,

Jim

Hey Jim,

Site looks good… so, how did you eventually handle the language problem? I’m also curious how you populated 10,000 items… CVS Import? Manually?

I couldnt view it, kept getting time out errors from my browser.

No problems here, took about 10 seconds to load.

Looks great to me. Nice job.

[quote name=‘disneyana’]Hey Jim,

Site looks good… so, how did you eventually handle the language problem? I’m also curious how you populated 10,000 items… CVS Import? Manually?[/QUOTE]

I had to not just turn off all of the other languages, but had to remove them from the database. Not only did this help the site load faster, but it shrunk my space to a third the size.

Honestly, unless you live some place where you need all of the languages, you really shouldn’t leave them anyway. Of course this is my opinion, but I’ve noticed that a lot of the sites that keep all of the languages (which means they have not removed them from the database too) their site loads slower.

I have removed the languages from my database as well, (removed the template selection including

My SQL database with 100 products weighs in at 511kbs,

A client of mine has a default install and a roughly 50 products and the files size is 5mb… go figure lol

[quote name=‘recedo’]I couldnt view it, kept getting time out errors from my browser.[/QUOTE]

This is the same error we kept getting too before we zapped all of the languages. Once we shrunk the database we no longer get the error and we are now able to take orders. Before “the shrink” we were lucky to get one order per week. We now receive orders at about the same pace as we did with our “Ya**o” shopping cart.

We may end up zapping Spanish too, but would love to keep it there since most folks in US know either English or Spanish.

One other thing is we still have about 3000 items in one category. CS-Cart suggest to me not to have more than 2500 in one category (although I have not seen this posted on their website). We should have it below that amount within the next week to see if it helps the speed any.

It was CS-Cart supprt that gave suggestion of the languages.

[quote name=‘clips’]Our first site using CS-Cart has been interesting. The first thing we learned really fast was that you should NEVER load all of the languages or even keep them in your database! They will kill the loading time of your site and if you have 10,000 items like we do many people won’t even be able to add something to the cart without getting an error.

With that, we invite you to check out our first venture with CS…

www.thecliplink.com - Automotive Fasteners and Clips

Thanks,

Jim[/QUOTE]

Hi Jim,

Nice site, I like it.

And thanks for the tip, when I do a fresh install with SP3 I will definately just install English.

Very interesting site clips, I should mention great images!

I’m still harassing suppliers for the basics so 1up to you.

I’ve now gotta go skinning cause it’s looks something identical to my own lol.

Link exchange?

[quote name=‘JesseLeeStringer’]

Link exchange?[/quote]

Lol… youre not wrong there…

[quote name=‘JesseLeeStringer’]Very interesting site clips, I should mention great images!

I’m still harassing suppliers for the basics so 1up to you.

Link exchange?[/QUOTE]

I will admit that the skin was okay a year ago, but we need to find something better. So far I haven’t seen good options to be able to change the skins. I’ve tried to mess with it some myself, but I haven’t had too much luck.

I have tried to get CS-Cart to “upload” the site to the latest version and then do a skin update, but CS-Cart wants to charge almost 3 times the price of the cart just to upgrade. I hate to see what a skin would cost!

Thanks,

Clips