• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Forum Upgrade Rate Topic   * * * * * 2 votes

• The Tool
  • Been Here Way Too Long Member
  • Members
  • 4005 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:43 AM #121

Please add a new section under Partners.

Free Modules
Modules for free use.

This would bring more clarity, because free modules have no longer squeeze between Hints & Modifications.

There is nothing wrong with Hints and Modifications. The problem is that a lot do not post their "free modules" in that section and way too many ask for help in that section. There is very little or no forum management so creating another section isn't going to solve the problem.

• remoteone
  • Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:17 AM #122

How come I can search for the words (not in quotes) new forum
and get no error nor short word alert.
But cant search for (with quotes) "my_changes" "fn.catalog.php"
gives a short word alert

One or all of your search keywords were below 3 characters or you searched for words which are not allowed, such as 'html', 'img', etc, please increase the length of these search keywords or choose different keywords.

!... wt...????
What logic is its search engine using ?

• Lantan
  • CVO
  • Administrators
  • 240 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:52 PM #123

How come I can search for the words (not in quotes) new forum
and get no error nor short word alert.
But cant search for (with quotes) "my_changes" "fn.catalog.php"

We are working on removing such words as 'html', 'Javascript', etc from the black list (it is hardcoded), but I could not reproduce the problem with searching for the words with quotes.

Search for "my_changes" returns 121 results (a list of forums). Search for "fn.catalog.php" returns 105 results.

Does anybody else experience this problem?
Alex Vinokurov,
Chief Visionary Officer at CS-Cart & Twigmo

• tbirnseth
  • CS Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 12156 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 06:00 PM #124

Will you please address the issue with 'View new content"? You seem to have time to address other issues when they come up but there's never even a response back or comment on this issue.

EZ Merchant Solutions: Custom (USA based) B2B Development, Consulting, Development and Special Projects (get a quote here).
Commercial addons, payment methods and modifications to meet your business and operations needs.

• Struck
  • Teetering on Genious
  • Members
  • 2502 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 06:35 PM #125

Will you please address the issue with 'View new content"? You seem to have time to address other issues when they come up but there's never even a response back or comment on this issue.

They did reply, see post #102 above. ;)
Cooking with Gas on Version 4.1.2 (But proceeding with caution....)

• tbirnseth
  • CS Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 12156 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:25 PM #126

Thanks Struck... Must have missed that one. Have changed and will see what happens if I stay logged in.... That would be very nice.

EZ Merchant Solutions: Custom (USA based) B2B Development, Consulting, Development and Special Projects (get a quote here).
Commercial addons, payment methods and modifications to meet your business and operations needs.

• tbirnseth
  • CS Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 12156 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:29 PM #127

But I'm hoping this isn't really a "that I have read" situation. I don't read every post so I'd really want this filtered from the last time I clicked the button (which it does not seem to be doing).

When the link is clicked a cookie should be read and then updated with the current timestamp. Any posts with a modification time later than what was read from the cookie should be displayed. Hence, to reset the list, all I should have to do is click the link again and it should show NOTHING.

That's the functionality I was requesting. Otherwise it will repeatedly show me stuff I'm not interested in seeing. It works if the setting is "since I last logged in" but logging in/out and then having to read everything before logging out is a real pain.

So I guess a "since last clicked" option is what I'm asking for. That was how the old forum used to behave.

• The Tool
  • Members
  • 4005 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 09:43 PM #128

So I guess a "since last clicked" option is what I'm asking for. That was how the old forum used to behave.

That's exactly how it is working for me and I have not messed with any settings.

• tbirnseth
  • CS Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 12156 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:05 PM #129

If I look at the current list it may have 6 threads. If I click the link again, I still get 6 threads. I'm requesting that it give me zero threads if there have been no updates since the last time the "view new content" was clicked.

What are your settings?

• The Tool
  • Members
  • 4005 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:14 PM #130

That's because you haven't actually clicked/read the threads. If you want to mark the forum read, then click on the icon next to the forum.

• remoteone
  • Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:21 AM #131

Search for "my_changes" returns 121 results (a list of forums). Search for "fn.catalog.php" returns 105 results.

Guess I didnt explain that well enough (again). Im not surprised that searching for the words separately returns so many results. Indeed the high number of results returned supports the case to fix this stupid search engine.

Thus searching for '"my_changes" "fn.catalog.php"' for example, is what Im trying to do. Looking for posts with BOTH words mentioned. alas ...Not Allowed.

I searched that way because ...Searching Boolean '"my_changes" AND "fn.catalog.php"' returns 125 results, when searching for "fn.catalog.php" on its own returns only 105 results. Thats a mathematical impossibility!

I would have thought the team that programmed this forums search function would have some understanding of Boolean Algebra (logic)? .. It aint Rocket Surgery!
CS-Cart is supposed to be a professional eCommerce solution, Why is CS-Cart team presenting this Rubbish to their existing and potential customers?

• tbirnseth
  • CS Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 12156 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:35 AM #132

That's because you haven't actually clicked/read the threads. If you want to mark the forum read, then click on the icon next to the forum.

You're right, that's why I asked for it to be changed and to model the old site! I have no desire to mark each thread as read so the stupid tool (not you, but the other one) can understand that when I click the link, I just want to see all new content since the last time I clicked the link. It should be very easy to do so I struggle with why it can't get done. If the behavior didn't exist in the old forum, then I wouldn't feel so betrayed with the new one.

I guess I could just stop reading and contributing if they're going to make it more difficult than it was before.

• tbirnseth
  • CS Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 12156 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:38 AM #133

I would have thought the team that programmed this forums search function would have some understanding of Boolean Algebra (logic)?

I don't think cs-cart wrote the forum software, but I could be wrong. If they did, then it's the same team that wrote the search in the cart. I think there's one or two that have an issue with that search logic too.

• remoteone
  • Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:07 AM #134

I don't think cs-cart wrote the forum software, but I could be wrong. If they did, then it's the same team that wrote the search in the cart. I think there's one or two that have an issue with that search logic too.

Tony, Im sure they didnt, but I hadnt noticed the problems with search engine in the cart, I must have a wee look at it, as I was hoping to utilise the search functions on our new site .
Anyway, I thought you were going on holidays? Enjoy.

• tbirnseth
  • CS Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 12156 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:14 AM #135

Yea, leave on Saturday for 3 weeks.
Trying to get rid of me early?
Might have to pop-in while I'm gone just to harass some of my favorites.

• zeke
  • Megamind
  • Administrators
  • 472 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:12 PM #136

Hi all,

Thank you all for your feedback on the forum search. Of course, we have not created this forum software ourselves. It is powered by Invision Power Board. No doubt, it differs from the previous forum software (vBulletin), so we appreciate your patience in getting accustomed to the new features.

Recent changes in search: "javascript", "html", etc were removed from the stopwords list, full-text search replaced with "LIKE"-based, so it's possible to find all posts that contain, for example, both "my_changes" and "fn.catalog.php" terms.

So, please try it, any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

• remoteone
  • Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:53 PM #137

I see the forum's word search "short word filter" has improved. But.. too put it as nicely as I can.. it still sucks! Maybe IP Board wasnt a good choice for an Open Source PHP shopping cart forum. Since it seems to block out many common keywords that users will search for. IPB might be ok for a "Toys-kids-can-eat" forum, but, Im getting to the stage where I get a sinking feeling each time I come here... Its just so hard to find what I'm looking for now.
EG. Doing advanced search for "SSI " (note the space) just returns every post with words like "PoSSIble" and "aSSIgn" in them. Thats not what I searched for.
Maybe thats why it seems (is it just me?) the number of posts has dropped off lately.
One very important thing that CS-team need to remember is:
When new-comers are looking for cart software, the quality of the forum is often a Key Factor.

• remoteone
  • Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:30 AM #138

Hmmm... no more comments since Nov 11. It must all be fixed now..me thinks... Alas ...no. The "Advanced Search" option isnt really deserving of its name, theres not much advanced about it.

Megamind.. I dont think your getting the picture. I didnt mean I wanted to find posts with

both "my_changes" and "fn.catalog.php" terms.

which I think you have mistaken for

"my_changes" OR "fn.catalog.php" terms.

or put another way,

find posts containing "my_changes" and posts containing "fn.catalog.php" terms.

What I meant was, I want to find posts that contained

both "my_changes" AND "fn.catalog.php" terms.

Good old fashioned Boolean.

• brandonvd
  • is Super Awesome
  • Members
  • 2633 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:13 PM #139

The search of this forum completely sucks and I almost never use it anymore. Jesse Lee Stringer showed me a great trick.

Just go to Google and put in

site:forum.cs-cart.com your search terms

This will search the whole forum way more accurately than the built in search. I know he showed me how to do it by user too, but I don't remember that bit.

Hope it helps,

Brandon

• TonyK
  • Members
  • 1686 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:32 PM #140

In the search box at the top if you click "Forums" it gives you a choice to select "Google" and does the same thing ( i think)
Pimpin' skins since v1.0