ADDON: Random Featured Products

Well, I needed an addon that would allow me to show random featured products on my home page. I contacted Alt-Team and they did a great job doing this addon for me.

With this addon you can choose any number of products to add to it and then choose how many products you want to display.

So basically, you can choose 50 products as featured products and then choose 10 to be displayed. Those 10 will be randomly selected from the 50.

To install this addon, just copy the random_products addon into your root addon folder, go to your admin, install the addon. Doesn’t get much simpler then that.

To set it up, just do:

You can see this in action at:

[url]http://jandkonline.com/cscart214/[/url]

I hope this helps someone.

Thanks,

Brandon

random_products.jpg

random_products_v2.zip

Hey Brandon, that is pretty cool, okay, this is awesome and has been much needed. Right now I keep trying to go to my home pages and manually change stuff at least once a week to keep it fresh.

So where or how do we get the “random_products addon” at?

Jim,

Oops, I forgot to attach it to my first post. Sorry about that.

Brandon

Awesome - thanks for sharing this!

Great addon. Thanks Brandon.

Brandon,

Dude you’re one of the most gracious givers here on the forum in many ways. We all appreciate everything that you do here. Thanks you!

Stu

Thanks brandon, very useful

[QUOTE]Brandon,

Dude you’re one of the most gracious givers here on the forum in many ways. We all appreciate everything that you do here. Thanks you!

Stu[/QUOTE]

Yeah, he is an “alright” guy, no question. :wink:

This addon should be quite beneficial from an SEO standpoint as well by automatically creating fresh content on your homepage, me likey!

Well thanks for the compliments guys. As always, I’m happy to post what I can on here. I feel it is a benefit to the whole CS-Cart community to post things like this. It helps everyone instead of just one or two people, plus I feel that it helps keep the cart alive.

Not only is CS-Cart a great system, but if the forum is active and there are a few free addons out there, then people will want to use the cart. By more people using the cart, it puts more money into CS-Cart’s pocket which will hopefully inspire them to continue to put out a quality product.

@Struck

Huh, I didn’t even think about the SEO factor. I wonder if you are right? It sounds logical enough.

Anyways, thanks again.

Brandon

Thanks Brandon!

Now I’m hoping CS will take your add-on and make it a standard feature in the next versions so it keeps working in future versions. Wouldn’t this be nice?

Great mod.

For me it would be even greater if products would not need to be selected manually. I would prefer absolutely random product from any category in added block.

[quote name=‘Darius’]Great mod.

For me it would be even greater if products would not need to be selected manually. I would prefer absolutely random product from any category in added block.[/QUOTE]

Bun then it wouldn’t be a featured products add-on, right? It would actually be another add-on.

Ok, well Clips and I ran into a small bug with this addon.

If you added a product that was out of stock, the addon would just use a blank space.

I talked to Alt-Team and they were able to fix this for me. Now the addon just ignores products that are out of stock and randomly chooses the products that are in stock.

I’ve already updated the file in my initial post. The change is easy. I uninstalled the old addon, removed the files, uploaded the new files, and then reinstalled the addon.

Brandon

brandon: thanks again for this. :slight_smile:

Brandon, the new download works like a charm. An excellent add on!

Works well for me as well. I was having an issue where 4 all products didn’t always display. Sometimes it was 4 or 3 or 2. This seems to have fixed that issue. Thanks again.

Yep, good stuff Maynard! :smiley:

Thanks for sharing really great add on.

thank y ou so much!

Thanks brandon