How did you hear about us? at checkout

How can I create a box so customers at checkout can enter “how they heard about us?” e.g. Google, Newspaper ad, friend etc… I really need this so we can ship the relevant flyers/offers with orders. Furthermore another box e.g. Website comments /improvements would also be helpful. Thanks.

Creaet a new field in users>profile fields and assign it to the checkout page

John

Or you can use our addon called Checkout Summary Fields

[url]http://www.ez-ms.com/addonproducts/checkout-summary-fields-addon.html[/url]

It will allow you to define fields and to use various types of entry (select boxes, radio buttons, input fields, etc.) and it simply adds these to the Customer Notes field in the order.

This was great. I used this tip to set up customers to have to enter in a “Purchase Order” number.

Thank you!

Sorry, just one question. Is there a way to enable this feature to have to be re-entered everytime the customer is making an order? I’m using it as a “Purchase Order” field but CS-Cart seems to be saving the purchase order number, which means the customer may bypass having to enter it whenever one makes a new purchase.

If you use the profile field solution then it is once per user (or will show the last method and then need to be overwritten). This will also (I think) change all the prior orders to reflect the most recent purchase order entered. I doubt that is what you want.

Yeah, that’s not what i’m looking for I discovered after I more thoroughly tested it. i’m hoping to find an alternate solution.

The Checkout Summary Fields addon listed above will do what you want. it just becomes a question of what it’s worth to you…

[QUOTE]I’m using it as a “Purchase Order” field [/QUOTE]

Are you using this as way to allow customers to reference a purchase order number while placing orders “regardless” of the payment method?

I think what Struck is getting to (correct me if I’m wrong) is that there is already a Purchase Order payment method.

But I’m guessing that the “purchase order number” in this case is really a “reference number” for the customer to relate the orders to theyir payments based on their operational methodology.

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]I think what Struck is getting to (correct me if I’m wrong) is that there is already a Purchase Order payment method.

But I’m guessing that the “purchase order number” in this case is really a “reference number” for the customer to relate the orders to theyir payments based on their operational methodology.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is more or less what I was getting at while thinking outloud. :wink:

We have a payment method setup which we named “Purchase Order” which uses the po.tpl and is only displayed as an option to customers whom have been pre-approved for Net 30 Day payment terms.

However, yes, it is quite common for b2b related purchasing to choose to assign a PO number to an order regardless of the payment method, even when paying via credit card for example simply as a means of managing incoming item receipts delivered to the receiving dept. & corresponding payments being properly applied.

So yes, this would be a nice addition to have this as a non-mandatory field within the checkout which could be displayed to all customers regardless of their membership.

I use the EZ-MS addon Checkout Summary Fields which works great for me.

[quote name=‘Struck’]Are you using this as way to allow customers to reference a purchase order number while placing orders “regardless” of the payment method?[/QUOTE]

Struck, yes. that is it exactly. Also, I don’t want CS-Cart to generate the number.

Thanks for reading my request :smiley:

[quote name=‘racingsolution’]I use the EZ-MS addon Checkout Summary Fields which works great for me.[/QUOTE]

I’ll talk to my manager and see if he’s willing to pay for the addition. I don’t want to add too much so quickly since we just paid CS-Cart $400 for Moneris Payment mod (even though the rep I spoke with before I bought CS-Cart said CS-Cart was compatible with Moneris… I guess she meant, compatible after it’s been modded ;D )

Thanks for the advice and help everyone.

Yeah, it looks like Tbirnseths’s mod would be an ideal fit to accomplish your exact needs, and of course it could serve other useful benefits as well.

Tbirnseth, would your checkout mod allow for a customer to be able to attach a file (pdf or some other image file) to the order?

No, I'm sorry, it doesn't do attachments. However I do believe there is a way to attach files via an product option. But this would be for an item, not the order.

Okay, thanks for the reply tbirnseth.