What happened to the short description?

I’m not understanding what’s going on. I have short descriptions filled out for my products, and detailed descriptions as well, but the short descriptions aren’t displaying on the product page.

Check out this page:

[url]http://www.nvone.com/Store/index.php?target=products&product_id=46[/url]

The description shown is the detailed one. What’s missing is:

[CENTER][/CENTER]

[LEFT]M2N32-SLI Deluxe/Wireless Edition • AMD® Socket AM2 Athlon 64 X2/Athlon 64 FX/Athlon 64/Sempron • Dual-channel DDR2 800/667/533 • nVidia nForce® 590 SLI™ MCP • Dual Gigabit LAN nVidia® DualNet® technology • Dual PCI-E X 16 @16 • 7 SATA 3Gb/s[/LEFT]

There’s a small image that’s included on the short description as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

Short description is shown in the listings. The detailed is shown on the product pages.

[quote name=‘Zyles’]Short description is shown in the listings. The detailed is shown on the product pages.[/quote]

I’m not seeing it there either.

[url]http://www.nvone.com/Store/index.php?target=categories&category_id=49[/url]

Mike

Did you remove it?

customer/products_pages/products.tpl

{$product.short_description|truncate:280:"... `$lang.more_link`"}

[quote name=‘Zyles’]Did you remove it?

customer/products_pages/products.tpl

{$product.short_description|truncate:280:"... `$lang.more_link`"}

[/quote]

Nope. It’s a box stock 1.3.4 install. Well almost anyway. CS added the ECHO payment gateway.

I looked at the template and here’s what I have:

{$product.short_description|truncate:280:“… $lang.more_link”}

And you are 100% certain you are editing the correct product? Cleaned cache? Used the template debug to see if $product.short_description has any content?

[quote name=‘Zyles’]And you are 100% certain you are editing the correct product? Cleaned cache? Used the template debug to see if $product.short_description has any content?[/quote]

Pretty sure it’s the correct product, I make changes to the full description and they show up, but no short description. I wonder if it has something to do with the size of the picture?

Mike

What does template debugger say for $product.short_description?

I turned on the debugger, but there’s no string matching $product.short_description.

If you want, I’d be happy to set you up with a temp admin access so you can get a closer look at what’s going on. PM me and I’ll set it up.

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks to Zyles, I was able to make the Short description appear where it’s supposed to. It was truncating the description though, at his suggestion, I did the following:

In the products.tpl page I found this code:

[quote]{$product.short_description|truncate:280:“… $lang.more_link”}[/quote]

and replaced it with this code:

[quote]{$product.short_description $lang.more_link"}[/quote]

*EDIT Updated the code Zyles provided below. It’s working out great.

Thank you

Try

{$product.short_description `$lang.more_link`"}

Worked like a charm! You da man Zyles! :cool:

Thank you for all your help!

Mike

Also on this subject, I did not want to see any of the short decription at all in the cart view.

I altered the truncate value (right under the sku code) in cart_pages/cart.tpl

to ‘zero’

{$product.short_description|truncate:0:“…”}

I do not know if this screws up any other view though.

:confused:

added: It does NOT mess up search results if you are using the short description for keywords and search purposes.

Almost done

If you don’t want to display it, remove it.

I can’t get short description to list. It only appears on detail Product page not int category list.

I followed the previous instructions but I’m lost.

HERE’S THE CODE

{
$Id: products.tpl 2577 2006-11-21 13:40:16Z seva $ *}

{if $products}

{if $smarty.capture.js_loaded != “Y”}

{capture name=“js_loaded”}Y{/capture}

{/if}

{capture name=“mainbox”}

{if !$no_pagination}

{include file=“common_templates/pagination.tpl”}

{/if}

{if !$no_sorting}

{include file=“products_pages/sorting.tpl”}

{/if}

{foreach from=$products item=product key=key}

{include file="common_templates/image.tpl" image_width=$settings.Appearance.thumbnail_width obj_id=$product.product_id images=$product.main_pair object_type="product"}
{$lang.view_details} ››

{$product.product|escape:html}

{if $product.product_code}
{$lang.sku}: {$product.product_code}

{/if}

{************************************ Discount label ****************************}
{if $product.discounts && $product.price|floatval}

{/if}
{* / Discount label *}
{else} {/if}

{if !($settings.Modules.product_configurator == 'Y' && $product.product_type == 'C')}
{******************************* List price, Old Price **************************}
{$lang.old_price}: {include file="common_templates/price.tpl" value=$product.price span_id="original_price_`$product.product_id`" class="list-price"}

{else}
{if $product.list_price > $product.price && $product.price != 0}
{$lang.list_price}: {include file="common_templates/price.tpl" value=$product.list_price span_id="list_price_`$product.product_id`" class="list-price"}

{/if}
{/if}
{************************ Discounted Price, Our Price, Price ********************}

{if ($settings.Modules.product_configurator == 'Y' && $product.product_type == 'C')}
{elseif $product.price != 0 || $product.zero_price_action == 'P'}
{if $product.discounts && $product.price|floatval}{$lang.discounted_price}
{include file="common_templates/price.tpl" value=$product.discounted_price span_id="discounted_price_`$product.product_id`"}
{else}
{if $product.list_price > $product.price}{$lang.our_price}{else}{$lang.price}{/if}: {include file="common_templates/price.tpl" value=$product.price span_id="original_price_`$product.product_id`"}
{/if}
{/if}

{if !($settings.Modules.product_configurator == 'Y' && $product.product_type == 'C') && ($product.price != 0 || $product.zero_price_action == 'P') && $settings.Appearance.show_prices_taxed_clean == 'Y' && $product.taxed_price}
({include file="common_templates/price.tpl" value=$product.taxed_price span_id="price_includes_tax_`$product.product_id`" class='list-price'} {$lang.inc_tax})
{/if}

{if $product.tax != ""}
({$lang.including_tax} {include file="common_templates/price.tpl" value=$product.tax})
{/if}
{************************************* You Save: *******************************}
{$lang.you_save}: {include file="common_templates/price.tpl" value=$product.discounts.total span_id="save_`$product.product_id`" class="list-price"}

{else}
{if $product.list_price > $product.price && $product.price|floatval}
{math equation="list_price - price" list_price=$product.list_price price=$product.price assign="absolute_discount"}
{math equation="100 - ((price / list_price) * 100)" list_price=$product.list_price price=$product.price format="%d" assign="percent_discount"}
{$lang.you_save}: {include file="common_templates/price.tpl" value=$absolute_discount span_id="save_`$product.product_id`" class="list-price"}({$percent_discount}%)

{/if}
{/if}

{include file="common_templates/modifier.tpl" mod_type="P" mod_value=$product.discount_amount non_zeros='Y' spanm_id="discount_label_`$product.product_id`" class="discount-label-text"}

{include file="products_pages/buy_now.tpl"}
{$lang.top}

{/foreach}

{if !$no_pagination}
{include file="common_templates/pagination.tpl"}
{/if}

{/capture}
{if !$title}
{$smarty.capture.mainbox}
{else}
{include file="common_templates/mainbox.tpl" title=$title content=$smarty.capture.mainbox}
{/if}

{/if}

Hi…I also am unable to see any short descriptions either on my Category Products list or Product Detail listing…I tried the mod here in this forum (admittedly I dont know what I;m doing very well) I think I did it right…tried it in different ways but cant get it to work…can someone peek at my code and tell me what I am doing wrong? Would appreciate it…thanks

```php {* $Id: products.tpl 2719 2007-02-14 13:50:14Z zeke $ *}

{if $products}

{if $smarty.capture.js_loaded != “Y”}

{capture name=“js_loaded”}Y{/capture}

{/if}

{capture name=“mainbox”}

{if !$no_pagination}

{include file=“common_templates/pagination.tpl”}

{/if}

{if !$no_sorting}

{include file=“products_pages/sorting.tpl”}

{/if}

{foreach from=$products item=product key=key}

{include file="common_templates/image.tpl" image_width=$settings.Appearance.thumbnail_width obj_id=$product.product_id images=$product.main_pair object_type="product"}
{$lang.view_details} ››

{$product.product|escape:html}

{if $product.product_code}
{$lang.sku}: {$product.product_code}

{/if}

{************************************ Discount label ****************************}

{/if}
{* / Discount label *}
{else} {/if}

{if !($settings.Modules.product_configurator == 'Y' && $product.product_type == 'C')}
{******************************* List price, Old Price **************************}
{$lang.old_price}: {include file="common_templates/price.tpl" value=$product.price span_id="original_price_`$product.product_id`" class="list-price"}

{else}
{if $product.list_price > $product.price && $product.price != 0}
{$lang.list_price}: {include file="common_templates/price.tpl" value=$product.list_price span_id="list_price_`$product.product_id`" class="list-price"}

{/if}
{/if}
{************************ Discounted Price, Our Price, Price ********************}

{if ($settings.Modules.product_configurator == 'Y' && $product.product_type == 'C')}
{elseif $product.price != 0 || $product.zero_price_action == 'P'}
{if $product.discounts && $product.price|floatval}{$lang.discounted_price}
{include file="common_templates/price.tpl" value=$product.discounted_price span_id="discounted_price_`$product.product_id`"}
{else}
{if $product.list_price > $product.price}{$lang.our_price}{else}{$lang.price}{/if}: {include file="common_templates/price.tpl" value=$product.price span_id="original_price_`$product.product_id`"}
{/if}
{/if}

{if !($settings.Modules.product_configurator == 'Y' && $product.product_type == 'C') && ($product.price != 0 || $product.zero_price_action == 'P') && $settings.Appearance.show_prices_taxed_clean == 'Y' && $product.taxed_price}
({include file="common_templates/price.tpl" value=$product.taxed_price span_id="price_includes_tax_`$product.product_id`" class='list-price'} {$lang.inc_tax})
{/if}

{if $product.tax != ""}
({$lang.including_tax} {include file="common_templates/price.tpl" value=$product.tax})
{/if}
{************************************* You Save: *******************************}
{$lang.you_save}: {include file="common_templates/price.tpl" value=$product.discounts.total span_id="save_`$product.product_id`" class="list-price"}

{else}
{if $product.list_price > $product.price && $product.price|floatval}
{$lang.you_save}: {include file="common_templates/price.tpl" value=$product.you_save_abs span_id="save_`$product.product_id`" class="list-price"} ({$product.you_save}%)

{/if}
{/if}

{include file="common_templates/modifier.tpl" mod_type="P" mod_value=$product.discount_amount non_zeros='Y' spanm_id="discount_label_`$product.product_id`" class="discount-label-text"}

{include file="products_pages/buy_now.tpl"}
{$lang.top}

{/foreach}

{if !$no_pagination}
{include file="common_templates/pagination.tpl"}
{/if}

{/capture}
{if !$title}
{$smarty.capture.mainbox}
{else}
{include file="common_templates/mainbox.tpl" title=$title content=$smarty.capture.mainbox}
{/if}

{/if} ```

Without seeing either of your websites, I would bet the farm your problem would go away if you had a smaller image.

I had this same problem and it went away when I made a smaller thumbnail. I also don’t use Auto Thumbnail.

HTH

By the way, the short description does not appear when you have a two (or multi-) column product listing.

Thanks for your responses…Argentice…youre right…if I change the Category listing to one-column the short descriptions appear…however I had previously changed it so that my option listing would not appear on this page…if I change it to one-column view then poof my options re-appear on this Category page…anyway, I prefer to have 2 or 3 column listings here so I wonder is there a fix to make the short description visible? Kinda strange huh…

Thanks MikeK…I took away the Automatic thumbnail creation but dont see any method to create thumbnails other than this…is there one or do you just create them outside of CS-Cart? Also, I deleted the thumbnail image entirely but it did not cause the short descrition to appear…so I guess thats not the problem…funny tho as thumbnails were my next issue…I thought they were too small and was actually trying to make them larger…but no matter what I do they always appear as same size in storefront…:slight_smile:

I really would like to have that short description on the category product list tho with 3 columns…any ideas?? Thanks…as always this forum is great…!

Bummer that solution didn’t work. But I learn something new everyday. These forums are great for sure.

As for thumbnail creation, I size them in FireWorks, and use the browse function in CS-C to upload. The way I understand how Auto Thumbnail works you only upload the main image and CS-C takes care of the rest.