Landing page

I need urgently a landing page to tell/warn the client he has made the order correctly.

I promise i have looked for this in the forum search bar but all I could find was that it was already implemented in lastest version (after much begging and requesting :slight_smile: )

I have not yet upgraded, I just can not do it just yet, so I’m still using version 2.0.14.

I get orders from people who claim not to see the small green pop up box, which I myself delayed in noticing at the begining, as a result people quit buying or buy the same thing 5 or 6 times more before they see the box or care to read the notification emails.

This can be solutioned with :

-the possibility of not letting the customer keep on clicking for an order he has successfully made (even if he doesn’t know it yet)

-Offering customer a proper landing page that tells him purchase has been made successfully and payment details have been sent to his/her email. And, maybe, giving him the option of going back to catalog, home page, order details or whatever the store owner wishes.

The ideal could be having a differnt landing page for each form of payment, but that’s maybe asking for too much or rather complicated so one landing page for all cases will do the trick.

I repeat, I’m stuck in version 2.0.14 and do not have such landing page, how can I fix it?

How did you solve this issue when you were using this version?

Thanks in advance!

I found that most confusion comes from the “Purchase this order again” button. You can remove it from the skins//customer/view/orders/details.tpl file (just comment it out). You can further reduce confusion by going into your Admin settings and finding the “Allow customer to repay” checkbox and turning that to unchecked too. Then, the only “button” they should see is to create a PDF invoice.

You could also consider using our “Checkout Fail” module that will step in if the payment is declined or the payment process fails. You can look at the attachements area for documentation on the product detail page: [url]http://www.ez-ms.com/addonproducts/chekcout-failure.html[/url]

Make sure you review the checkout process in 2.1.x before you upgrade. You might be surprised by some of the changes.

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]I found that most confusion comes from the “Purchase this order again” button.[/QUOTE]

So true, i have looked all over admin for a a way to remove this. I already commented out that piece of code, thanks for the tip.

[QUOTE]

You could also consider using our “Checkout Fail” module that will step in if the payment is declined or the payment process fails. [/QUOTE]

It is not the really failing orders that worries me, as most of my clients decide to pay thru money transfer (much more common in Europe that in USA) There’s no way you get a failing order as no real payment is made, just the declare intention of doing it.

What I’m concerned about is the orders that are successfully made but the customer does not realize that, as there’s not a proper landing page that tells them so. Just a small green pop up box (which I have placed in the middle of the screen, thanks God) and most people miss or the box just gets trapped by an effective pop-up blocker.

So the client hits back and forth, back and forth again, until he gets exhausted or angry or uninterested.

yes, I suppose lastest version rocks , but for the moment I can not upgrade. My question is: how did you all solve this issue before upgrading to this super latest version?

Those of you who have not upgraded yet, I know there are a few in this forum, how are you solutioning this landing page issue?

I left things as they were. I.e. the customer ends up on the orders/details.tpl page which displays an inovice. I’m fortunate in that most of my customers are cs-cart users so they’re familiar and I don’t have issues. But my customers customers get frustrated. So I give them the same advice as I gave you about eliminating some of the buttons. Most are okay with an invoice indicating that the order went through…

tony

yes, it is very fortunate your customers know cs-cart, but some of my clients have not even seen an oscommerce store :stuck_out_tongue: so they’re not familiar with carts and need everything explained, in details.

Let’s hope that not having the “purchase this order again” option refrain them from buying the same thing over and over again. IN any case, it’d be nice if someone comes up with a n easy solution for this, a general landing page would be helpful.

Don’t know if this will help you or not, but here is an interesting link that I’ve bookmarked. This mod performs by letting the customer know if they have botched the checkout process or forgot to place the order by popping up a message indicating a problem. Worth a look I suppose. Not really an answer to your specific concern, however the checkout process has caused major pains after about 2.0.15.

[URL=“http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread.php?t=20681”]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread.php?t=20681[/URL]

Stu

Thank u, Stu, I will take a look

You can also write your own landing page and adjust controllers/customer/checkou.phpt to go there upon completion of ‘summary’ (I think). Look for a string like ‘order.details’ and change it to the url of the page you want them to land on. You can simply put your own “continue shopping” button on there.

We had a similar problem where people were not able to find where to download files they had purchased. As a result we were innundated with emails asking how to download the files.

We added our own text by adding a block containing html to the order landing page. You can do this from

admin > Design > Blocks > Order landing page ----- Add new block

We titled the block ‘your order has been received’ and then gave clear instructions on how to find download files and print invoices.

This has been a great success and may work for you too

Hetha

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]You can also write your own landing page and adjust controllers/customer/checkou.phpt to go there upon completion of ‘summary’ (I think). Look for a string like ‘order.details’ and change it to the url of the page you want them to land on. You can simply put your own “continue shopping” button on there.[/QUOTE]

I tried that but the only line I see that has order.details is this one:

return array(CONTROLLER_STATUS_REDIRECT, "$index_script?dispatch=orders.details&order_id=$last_order_id");

I tried to change it to this:

return array(CONTROLLER_STATUS_REDIRECT, "$index_script?dispatch=pages.view&page_id=20

but it didn’t work, maybe that is not the piece of line to be modified or maybe I’m not writing the proper code.

I need some orientation.

Hetha, thank you for your advice, but you’re obviously using the latest version. I use 2.0.14 and there’s no such thing as admin > Design > Blocks > Order landing page in this version.

Depends on the version you are using… The suggestion was for 2.0.x if you’re on 2.1.x it will be something different.

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]Depends on the version you are using… The suggestion was for 2.0.x if you’re on 2.1.x it will be something different.[/QUOTE]

Precisely I write to you because the suggestion applies, like I mentioned in my last post I use 2.0.14 . If I were using 2.1.XX I wouldn’t need a fix for this since I believe a landing page is already included in the latetst versions.

So I insist, which part of checkout.php must be modified so that the customer lands in page 20 and not in order.details ?

If you look at where you are in checkout.php you will see that the whole section where order.details is commented out.

Make your change in core/fn.cart.php on or about line 2119 where you’ll find:

fn_redirect($prefix . INDEX_SCRIPT . "?dispatch=orders.details&order_id=$order_id&confirmation=Y", true);

Change it to whatever you want.

Not the line 2 lines above (fn_set_hook(‘order_placement_routines’…))

You can do what you want with a php hook rather than modifying core code that will be overwritten at the next upgrade.

Thank you, that worked!!! Let’s hope this stops dupplicated orders.

It is incredible how a single line of code can make such a difference.

Not sure why having the order details page causes duplicate orders, but as long as you’re happy. You can always disable the “Reorder this order” button (which I think is 98% a waste of time).

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]Not sure why having the order details page causes duplicate orders, but as long as you’re happy. You can always disable the “Reorder this order” button (which I think is 98% a waste of time).[/QUOTE]

Why duplicate orders? I can answer that, most of my customers say that when they finish placing an order they get confused when they see the details, they do not know for sure if the order has been made or not, they do not see the pop up that says order has been made since most of them have pop-up blocker, and they do not check inmediately their emails, as result they repeat the operation just to make themselves sure.

Conclusion; customers need to see a clear sign saying “your order has been made successfully, we have sent you an email with all the details” Just when they see a page (not a pop-up) then they know they’ve made the order for sure.

I hope that answers your doubt. As for “re-order this order” you’re right, in 99% of cases it’s a useless function.

Please, I need advise , ever since i made the change to have a landing page something strange is happening at the end of the buying process. When the customer hits to confirm the order in the final step, the page gets loading forever, yet in the backend I can see the order has been made, only that the customer doesn’t know this and repeats the buying process again and again.

Could this happen because of the change made in core/fn.cart.php? It worked ok when i made the change and tested it.

I made a test order to see what the customer experiences and after minutes of the page loading in the final step I got this error:

Fatal error: Smarty error: the $compile_dir ‘/home/electro/public_html/var/compiled/mail’ does not exist, or is not a directory. in /home/electro/public_html/lib/templater/Smarty.class.php on line 1095

Please, can anyone give me an idea of how to fix this? It’s killing me :frowning:

[quote name=‘mirnitagl’]Fatal error: Smarty error: the $compile_dir ‘/home/electro/public_html/var/compiled/mail’ does not exist, or is not a directory. in /home/electro/public_html/lib/templater/Smarty.class.php on line 1095

Please, can anyone give me an idea of how to fix this? It’s killing me :([/QUOTE]

the smarty.class.php line is a “trigger_error” message

It is telling you that either the folder needs creating or the compile directory isnt set up properly. Or perhaps you have accidentily changed the file permisssions and it cant write to where it should.

Have you checked via ftp if var/compiled has a “mail” directory in it, it should have.

As far as I know Im afraid.

JOhn

thank you for your answer, johnbol1, I go to var/compiled and the mail folder is there yet in the compiled folder I see a series of files with strange names that disappear as soon as I clear cache, what could that be?

these fiels have names like: ztemp1aT7u1 or ztemp2TpsIJ, very weird.:confused:

is this normal?

Also, can anyone tell me how to make cache clear automatically say, every hour or so?

Yes it is normal. The files are the compiled versions of your templates. When you clear the cache, you are removing those files.

You would have to set something up out of cron. Why on earth would you want to clear your cache that frequently?