• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Store Manager Rate Topic   - - - - -

• mjh001
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 02:36 AM #1

I see alot on information about Store Manager not working, I have'nt tried it yet because I simply dont know what it is suposed to be for, been looking for some details anywhere but from what I can guess, it an upgrade tool? or will it do something more intresting?

• SWS
  • Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 08:55 AM #2

It is a Backup & Upgrade Tool. Nothing more..

However does have quite a few bugs at the moment, but I suppose it is early days for store manager
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

• jobosales
  • Members
  • 3114 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 08:20 PM #3

We were finally successful in updating from 1.3.4 to 1.3.4sp2 using Store Manager. Of course, this was on the default install with absolutely no modifications. I was encouraged a bit since we could not even manage this previously and I am sure that this tool will be further improved.

That said, I would still like to see the Upgrade Center reappear since it is platform agnostic as far as the client is concerned. Armed with solid performance of an upgrade script and a good diff tool, updates are really quite manageable.

Bob
CS-Cart 2.0.14 (testing)

• Johnny
  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 07:54 PM #4

We were finally successful in updating from 1.3.4 to 1.3.4sp2 using Store Manager. Of course, this was on the default install with absolutely no modifications. I was encouraged a bit since we could not even manage this previously and I am sure that this tool will be further improved.

That said, I would still like to see the Upgrade Center reappear since it is platform agnostic as far as the client is concerned. Armed with solid performance of an upgrade script and a food diff tool, updates are really quite manageable.

Bob

You know the Diff tool should be implemented, when I ran the store manager it had 13 files that couldn't be upgraded, I would normally edit them myself but its tedious work trying to find all the differances between 2 files so I ended up choosing to use newest version.

• jobosales
  • Members
  • 3114 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 08:55 PM #5

We use Beyond Compare to diff files and directories. It greatly simplifies finding discrepancies and gives us control of the process rather than relying on the developer tools (whether they are client-based od a script run on the server).

We are in the process of moving from PCs to Macs and finding a really solid replacement for Beyond Compare has been one of the very few challenges we are faced with. Of course, I have not spent a lot of time looking yet since we have been very focused on processing orders for the holidays.

Bob
CS-Cart 2.0.14 (testing)

• S-Combs
  • Members
  • 692 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 09:10 PM #6

Araxis Merge is another great program for file and directory comparison but there isn't a version for Mac
http://www.araxis.com/merge/index.html

I do the same with it as jobosales mentioned above with Beyond Compare.. It is very handy way for upgrading a modified cart or any other script.

Good luck with that transition jobo.

• Johnny
  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 11:25 PM #7

So basically I could use beyond compare and manually edit all the php/tpl files and forget about store manager ? Roughly how long would this take ? Are we talk 3 or 4 hours or 3 or 4 days ?

THANKS

• Zyles
  • Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 11:28 PM #8

So basically I could use beyond compare and manually edit all the php/tpl files and forget about store manager ? Roughly how long would this take ? Are we talk 3 or 4 hours or 3 or 4 days ?

This is what I do.

Time depends on your knowledge.
Marketing tip:

Did you know a targeted e-mail marketing campaign can bring conversion rates up to 3.9%? By using reliable e-mail marketing software you can upsell to existing customers on a tight budget. If you are not using e-mail marketing you are missing out big time. I recommend and use Aweber.