Changing Order Status and its Affect on Sending E-mails

A typical order flow for us is Open → In Process → Completed (Shipped). I’ve set the email in the Order Statuses appropriately (Open: send to customer, admin; In Process: nothing sent; Completed: send to customer).

However when we change status’ for an order, there are two check-boxes “Notify Customer” and “Notify Orders Dept” that override what we’ve set up in the order status’. We have to manually tick or untick these two boxes every time we change an order status so emails are sent to the appropriate party.

If these two check-boxes override what’s been set up in Order Statuses, what’s the point of the Order Statuses email check-boxes? We want the settings in Order Statuses to take precedence as it’s a pain for us to have to untick and tick these checkboxes on every order status change.

Thanks for any help or advice.

I’m also dealing with this. Anyone a solution?

I’m not 100% sure but I believe that the settings in the Order Status do not have any affect when the status is change manually. Thus the reason the settings are there when you do change it manually.

A correct user-interface would use the values in the Order Statuses as the defaults for the manual changein order status. However, since the “ending status” isn’t necessarily known, it is difficult to specify when doing a manual status change.

It is probably more important that whatever the action is going to be is visible to the merchant versus crossing your fingers and hoping that it does what you expect it to do (especially since there’s no logging of email in the standard cart).

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]A correct user-interface would use the values in the Order Statuses as the defaults for the manual changein order status. However, since the “ending status” isn’t necessarily known, it is difficult to specify when doing a manual status change.[/QUOTE]

This is how it should work IMHO, and I think that this post is trying to accomplish that but I found it hard to read and could not duplicate the functionality in the post.

However, based on what I read there, I made a small change to have the email boxes unchecked when manually changing status. This at least helps to not send a perhaps unwanted email on manual status changes.

In skins/basic/admin/common_templates/select_popup.tpl, remove

checked="checked"

from the checkbox input type in lines 42 and 48 (I am on v2.0.15)

The thing about the email checkboxes in the order status popup as compared to the email checkboxes in Order Statuses, is that if you let the cart change the status, the checkboxes in Order Statuses will be used. If you manually change it, the checkboxes in the order status popup will be used.

It’s a little confusing but makes some sense if you stare at it for awhile (which I did).

Handling of email is both blind and confusing.

Me thinks the “best” approach when the system sends an email (other than the confirmation to the customer) is to bring the email up in an editor and let the admin either send it or ignore it or even edit it. What a concept… :slight_smile:

[quote name=‘ChrisW’]

In skins/basic/admin/common_templates/select_popup.tpl, remove

checked="checked"

from the checkbox input type in lines 42 and 48 (I am on v2.0.15)

[/QUOTE]

Hi Guys,

I’m having the same problem - whatever email notification settings I enter into the order status configurations are completely overwritten by the popup checkboxes.

I’ve tried the code change suggested above but that also overrides all my settings so that nobody receives any of the notification emails.

Does anybody have another solution?

Hi Guys,

I’m having the same problem - whatever email notification settings I enter into the order status configurations are completely overwritten by the popup checkboxes.

I’ve tried the code change suggested above by ChrisW but that also overrides all my settings so that nobody receives any of the notification emails.

Does anybody have another solution?

I’ve also tried removing completely the checkboxes in select_popup.tpl:

{if $notify}

• {/if}
    {if $notify_department}

• {/if}
    {if $notify_supplier}

• {/if}

and that also leaves me with no emails sent out at all, regardless of what is in my order status settings. I’m using MVE 2.1.2…

Is there a way to change the order status of all the orders at the same time like it was in 1.3.5-SP4?

In 2.1.x, the admin has to click the status of 1 order and then wait for it to complete and then move on to changing the order status of the next order and so. Imagine doing this for 40-50 orders daily.

m_update? I.e. selecting the checkboxes, then select Edit selected from the drop-down next to the Save button, then choose ‘status’ for fields to edit? You would still have to set each order’s status individually, but at least it would all be on one page and be one operation.

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]m_update? I.e. selecting the checkboxes, then select Edit selected from the drop-down next to the Save button, then choose ‘status’ for fields to edit? You would still have to set each order’s status individually, but at least it would all be on one page and be one operation.[/QUOTE]

Hi Tony, was the above post meant for my post? :stuck_out_tongue: But I don’t see a Save button on the order list page anyway.:confused:

Sorry, I was thinking products, not orders. Would not be a difficult mod to give you two selectors (current status and next status) and let you set them and then click a button to make the change. But nothing out of the box that I’m aware of.

Any fix on this ?

maybe ill jut remove the core function