• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Willing to pay someone who's successfully converted to XHTML Tableless Rate Topic   - - - - -

• purefusion
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 02:11 AM #21

So, either way, no easy (or quick) solution. I either use the default blue or ask for a refund, right? Haha

• nevsie
  • Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 02:31 PM #22

surely it really depends on what you are wanting to do with it... And how different the design is in your head to one of the supplied skins...

If you cannot mod it your self... and do not want to pay someone else to mod it for you...(both in your timeline) then really you are out of options (for any shop, not just CS).

I think you could easily make any of the supplied skins lighter and modified to your design within a week (barring a few compromises)... I think the rest of us are after something different... a simple base skin that we can easily mod to a new skin for different customers... And in my case really emphasising SEO...

As other people have said... i want something built the way i like it. to my standards, using structures and formats i commonly use, so its easy for me to use again...
I have had customers request bought templates before... and normally i end up rebuilding the template anyway to make it work for sites, cms, shops, and search engines. Getting something done for $500 or £250 will probably end in tears and someone redoing it anyway... So i will personally not go down this route... ever!!!!

• makstudios
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:24 PM #23

Hey all. I am a XHTML/CSS developer who has integrated CS-Cart countless times. I started converting the entire CS-Cart default theme in CSS for W3C XHTML 1.0 strict validation.

PROBLEM...

Here is the issue. As others have noted, there are hundreds of template files. Once you convert the 7 or so main "root" files, you will still need to convert ALL the template files. Anyone who says they can facilitate this for you for under $8,000 - $10,000.00 is absolutely nuts. It's too good to be true and you will most likely have a horrible experience with this company as they don't know CS-Cart well enough. Once they really learn the extent of the job, they will most likely back out of it.

Another Problem...

CS-Cart is unique and constantly being developed and upgraded. If I convert version 1.3.4 completely into XHTML compliant code... What happens when version 1.3.4+ arrives? You're out of luck. UNLESS you spend those countless hours AGAIN sifting through the .diff files and integrating their new upgrades into your nice and compliant code.

Solution...

CS-Cart NEEDS TO DO IT! Why would anyone spend the time or money investing in XHTML/CSS cart when any future upgrades are useless. CS-Cart uses tables for EVERYTHING and soon their developers will realize that this may have been a VERY bad idea for the future of their product. However, the support for tables is STILL better than CSS these days as far as browsers are concerned and will be for some time to come.

My Suggestions...

1. I have made major modifications to v1.3.4 with CSS. This includes a pure CSS category menu versus their massive Javascript menu. This, no matter what upgrades they make will be easy to implement.

2. Side BOX and MAINBOX templates are loaded more than any templates. These can be converted into XHTML/CSS without major problems associated with uplgrades. Some issues may arrise, but are easy to detect and rectify.

3. The minute you modify something in CS-Cart that later will effect an upgrade is not worth it. Even though you want to have better load times and an extensible system, with CS-Cart, its just not a good idea. You will be stuck with outdated versions for life.

If anyone has any questions about what Im trying to say, email me at
mike[at]makstudios[dot]com
Regards,
Michael A. Karr
MAKstudios Custom Web Design
www.makstudios.com

• Zyles
  • Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:42 AM #24

What he said. It's in CS-Carts responsibility if they want to stay ahead of the cart game or fall behind.
Marketing tip:

Did you know a targeted e-mail marketing campaign can bring conversion rates up to 3.9%? By using reliable e-mail marketing software you can upsell to existing customers on a tight budget. If you are not using e-mail marketing you are missing out big time. I recommend and use Aweber.

• TonyK
  • Members
  • 1686 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 03:15 PM #25

Mark is right. I have had several of you contact us about doing this and seemed a bit shocked that it would cost "thousands" of dollars.

Its because there are over 180 TPL files in a skin and you have to piece each one together like a puzzle and make the CSS work. It's many, many, many, many hours. and will only work for the version your on, if you want to upgrade you have to do it all over again.

This really is something CS has to do and I believe they are working on it now.

Hey all. I am a XHTML/CSS developer who has integrated CS-Cart countless times. I started converting the entire CS-Cart default theme in CSS for W3C XHTML 1.0 strict validation.

PROBLEM...

Here is the issue. As others have noted, there are hundreds of template files. Once you convert the 7 or so main "root" files, you will still need to convert ALL the template files. Anyone who says they can facilitate this for you for under $8,000 - $10,000.00 is absolutely nuts. It's too good to be true and you will most likely have a horrible experience with this company as they don't know CS-Cart well enough. Once they really learn the extent of the job, they will most likely back out of it.

Another Problem...

CS-Cart is unique and constantly being developed and upgraded. If I convert version 1.3.4 completely into XHTML compliant code... What happens when version 1.3.4+ arrives? You're out of luck. UNLESS you spend those countless hours AGAIN sifting through the .diff files and integrating their new upgrades into your nice and compliant code.

Solution...

CS-Cart NEEDS TO DO IT! Why would anyone spend the time or money investing in XHTML/CSS cart when any future upgrades are useless. CS-Cart uses tables for EVERYTHING and soon their developers will realize that this may have been a VERY bad idea for the future of their product. However, the support for tables is STILL better than CSS these days as far as browsers are concerned and will be for some time to come.

My Suggestions...

1. I have made major modifications to v1.3.4 with CSS. This includes a pure CSS category menu versus their massive Javascript menu. This, no matter what upgrades they make will be easy to implement.

2. Side BOX and MAINBOX templates are loaded more than any templates. These can be converted into XHTML/CSS without major problems associated with uplgrades. Some issues may arrise, but are easy to detect and rectify.

3. The minute you modify something in CS-Cart that later will effect an upgrade is not worth it. Even though you want to have better load times and an extensible system, with CS-Cart, its just not a good idea. You will be stuck with outdated versions for life.

If anyone has any questions about what Im trying to say, email me at
mike[at]makstudios[dot]com

Pimpin' skins since v1.0

• bossman
  • Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 04:53 PM #26

When i first saw that company saying they would convert the tpl files into valid tableless design for 500 i knew something was up because there are alot of files. I am still amazed out how many people think this stuff can be done overnight. I am glad someone counted 180 tpl files thats alot to edit.

WIth all the different browsers to do it for few thounsand still seems cheap to me because making css work between browsers isn't hard but it never works like it should all the time.

Just my 2 cents.

But if cs cart did make a tableless design it would be a great thing!!

• VSR
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 06:32 PM #27

Sooner there is CSS skins the better :)

• RipVan100
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:06 PM #28

For the sake of us noobs, can someone post a link to an article describing what this discussion is about. I can make out some of the issues, but it would be nice if there was an article that can give an example or two.

TKS.

• Zyles
  • Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:23 PM #29

For the sake of us noobs, can someone post a link to an article describing what this discussion is about. I can make out some of the issues, but it would be nice if there was an article that can give an example or two.

TKS.

http://www.hotdesign.com/seybold/

CS-Cart should read this too ;)
Marketing tip:

Did you know a targeted e-mail marketing campaign can bring conversion rates up to 3.9%? By using reliable e-mail marketing software you can upsell to existing customers on a tight budget. If you are not using e-mail marketing you are missing out big time. I recommend and use Aweber.

• RipVan100
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:18 PM #30

oKAY. That's what I'm talking about!

Very good tutorial about the problem. Now, I'll have to go hunt down some XHTML sites and see the difference.

Anybody got some favorite sites they can post for reference?

• TonyK
  • Members
  • 1686 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:54 PM #31

http://cssvault.com/
http://www.cssdrive.com/
http://www.cssbeauty.com/gallery/

Are a few....
Pimpin' skins since v1.0

• RipVan100
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 02:28 AM #32

Very nice. Thanks much for that.

It reminds me of a site I saw several years ago that was very clean, and loaded very fast. Its here http://mwtb.org

My question is, how can you tell if a site is CSS based, or table based? Can looking at the page source give it away?

• Zyles
  • Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 09:27 AM #33

My question is, how can you tell if a site is CSS based, or table based? Can looking at the page source give it away?

Simply by looking at the source you can see if there are tables or not.
Marketing tip: