• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Willing to pay someone who's successfully converted to XHTML Tableless Rate Topic   - - - - -

• purefusion
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 02:15 PM #1

If any of you have successfully converted your interface to tableless xhtml, I want to leverage your work on a project of my own. I'm willing to pay for the work you've done to save me some time. So if you could, please post how much you'd be willing to agree to so I can get that from you. I just don't feel like wrangling the code, and the support team said it would take three more months to get to a tableless point in the full product. Let me know if there are any questions.

Warm Regards,
Scott

• nevsie
  • Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 06:04 PM #2

did you get anywhere with this?
i have spent a good couple of days trying to do this and optimising it for search engines... and still only 50% of the way there...
If there are any out there it would and will help...

• davidnetk
  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 07:36 PM #3

Guys,

I placed an inquiry with psd2html.com asking them if they could be able to code a design for CS-Cart. Currently they are able to do it for X-Cart but they said they would get back to me on that.

If the answer was yes. They could turn your Photoshop design to fully valid XHTML/CSS accessible for all browsers in a period of 8 hours or less for about but not more than $500.00

These guys are good. I've never used them but I've seen their work and it looks pretty good!

www.psd2html.com

Good luck. I'll keep you posted.

• Zyles
  • Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 08:02 PM #4

I could do a fully XHTML/CSS design aswell. That is not the problem.

The problem is that there are so many tables in the design that it takes time to CONVERT the template into valid XHTML.

Templates consist of nested tables tables tables tables and tables in hundreds of files which need to be changed and tested.

If they do all that for $500 it is a bargain !
Marketing tip:

Did you know a targeted e-mail marketing campaign can bring conversion rates up to 3.9%? By using reliable e-mail marketing software you can upsell to existing customers on a tight budget. If you are not using e-mail marketing you are missing out big time. I recommend and use Aweber.

• SWS
  • Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:54 PM #5

I couldnt agree more, making a template isnt the issue, most of us can make an xhtml / css template... I use one on my other sites at the moment, altough I do still have the odd table here and there.. more of a rush to fix things in the end ! A

lmost every page validates as XHTML transitional 1.0 and valid CSS (apart from those I broke recently) compared to CS-Cart which halft the time doesnt even validate as valid HTML transitional !

The problem is converting the .tpl files to use such a template...

Once my store is up and running at full speed, then I will start work on the conversion, but its going to be a slow process, almost impossible for anybody to do in such a little time span, unless of course they worked for CS-Cart even then I think they would struggle !

My plan is to start from the inside out... get all the smaller tables working as div tags etc, then move outwards and see how long it takes me to break it :D

I reckon this is a project not to be taken lightly !!! :rolleyes:
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

• nevsie
  • Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:17 PM #6

well i am a good way into stripping it down... although i think my intentions are different from you guys...

My main aim is to strip it down to very simple design, that is easy to convert for future clients designs... I wanted to start on a very light basis, and have it so the content is actually optimised for search engines (currently it is not).

So far, most of the modules / sideboxes etc i have enabled are stripped out, the major parts of the layout are stripped down, categories lists etc... Just product pages, and other areas that i have missed to go... Although, i am ot going completely table-less.. For me the point of CSS design is to display all non-tabular information in CSS rather than tables. Certain information i believe should use tables, and so in those cases i will leave it that way...

In comparison... i measured the a page size before and after i stripped it out and SEO'd it... it is down from around 164k to 81k ish... and considering it is not complete yet... thats quite a difference.

• purefusion
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:26 PM #7

Yes, simplicity is another goal. I also agree that tables do have their place, just not for use with layout. I just hate daunting projects like this, and I'm sure you're familiar with the feeling.

So, will it take me more than a day of work to convert this? If I do it I would be willing to offer it up for you, but if it's going to take even the CS-Cart team another 3 months yet, that leaves me truly scared! :eek:

• Zyles
  • Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 02:25 PM #8

So, will it take me more than a day of work to convert this?

It will take at least a month to convert everything. Working full time. I have some parts modified, such as boxes, header, footer, some product details pages etc. But far from done... just a button consists of like 3 tables. :?

My intentions of having XHTML design is:

Smaller files - less bandwidth consumption - increased loading speed
Easier to build new layouts from a standard template
Easier to make modifications and see smarty code changes in templates
SEO purposes
Marketing tip:

Did you know a targeted e-mail marketing campaign can bring conversion rates up to 3.9%? By using reliable e-mail marketing software you can upsell to existing customers on a tight budget. If you are not using e-mail marketing you are missing out big time. I recommend and use Aweber.

• purefusion
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 02:36 PM #9

Holy ****! Are you serious?

At least tell me all the layout HTML is in one file?

• davidnetk
  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 03:52 PM #10

Guys,

I placed an inquiry with psd2html.com asking them if they could be able to code a design for CS-Cart. Currently they are able to do it for X-Cart but they said they would get back to me on that.

If the answer was yes. They could turn your Photoshop design to fully valid XHTML/CSS accessible for all browsers in a period of 8 hours or less for about but not more than $500.00

These guys are good. I've never used them but I've seen their work and it looks pretty good!

www.psd2html.com

Good luck. I'll keep you posted.

They've answered. Here's our conversation so far...

14-Dec-06 22:06 by Me

Are you able to code a skin for use with CS-Cart?
If so , what would be the cost?

15-Dec-06 05:17 by Support Team

Hi,

We have to investigate CS-Cart before giving the
price.
We will come back to you shortly as soon as we have results
of our investigation.

Thank you.

19-Dec-06 05:09 by Support Team

Hi.

Yes we can create a template for the CS-Cart. The cost will
be $480. This cost includes standard template implementation
without any custom programming. We can provide the more
precise cost when we have a detailed input.

Thank you.

I wonder what they mean by "standard template implementation" and "without any custom programming."

• Zyles
  • Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 03:55 PM #11

Holy ****! Are you serious?

At least tell me all the layout HTML is in one file?

No, did you not take a peek in the skins directory? ;)

HTML files (template files) are spread out in directories in template files .tpl like snippets for different areas of the cart. It's not like a blog theme where it's all in one.

This is why it is crucial for CS-Cart to provide a valid XHTML template, because it will be VERY tedious to apply all the cart changes upon new versions for whoever wants to share theirs.
Marketing tip:

• Zyles
  • Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 03:58 PM #12

I wonder what they mean by "standard template implementation" and "without any custom programming."

Exactly.. smarty may be considered custom programming. $480 would just be for design and XHTML coding. Then you need to implement EVERYTHING into the cart. I doubt they would do that for free, if you want to be completely tableless.

I know I wouldn't!

I'm not claiming this is how it is, but most likely. Maybe they actually go through all the template files.

If they have cheap labor they might do it. If you dare you could go ahead and try it. ;)
Marketing tip:

• SWS
  • Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 08:37 PM #13

Im not too sure your going to get what you think from this...

I woudl ask them a direct question such as:

Will this include implementing across the many smarty template files CS cart uses ?

I think by standard template they are relating to a basic, readily available template (from there own archives) rather than a fully custom designed interface with new graphics / buttons, look and feel etc...

If they do however deliver, you can tell them they may have a few more customers !!!
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

• davidnetk
  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 08:46 PM #14

I think by standard template they are relating to a basic, readily available template (from there own archives) rather than a fully custom designed interface with new graphics / buttons, look and feel etc...

SWS,

You design your site in Photoshop. With all the details and graphics you want!
Then they will "slice" the design and make it all work with XHTML and CSS.
But you are ultimately the designer. It will look how YOU want it to look. I will however ask that question you provided...

• purefusion
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 08:47 PM #15

Yes, even I can convert a PSD to XHTML tableless... heh.

Well, hmmm... I'll ask for a refund on day 29, LOL

• purefusion
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 08:48 PM #16

Hey, what if we divied up the duties and we all chipped in to convert it to tableless? It might go quicker. Thoughts?

• Zyles
  • Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 09:59 PM #17

I had in mind starting "Project W3C" to convert it all from tables with the help of volunteers. But now it's Christmas and soon New Years, people will not have time until next year.. and if CS-Cart releases a new version in three months hopefully with one in it, all the effort would be in vain.
Marketing tip:

• SWS
  • Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 11:32 PM #18

I had in mind starting "Project W3C" to convert it all from tables with the help of volunteers. But now it's Christmas and soon New Years, people will not have time until next year.. and if CS-Cart releases a new version in three months hopefully with one in it, all the effort would be in vain.

Very true.

Altough, knowing me... Ill make one anyway when I decide to actually template cs rather than using default blue.. which kind of suites what I wanted anyway..

I dont think I will wait for CS to do it, as unless there something I REALLY REALLY need in the new version I would be a little weary about upgrading. My theory is (and its a common one) If you want a job doing right... do it yourself !!

Altough the volunteer method is also a good idea, say working on a section of templates per volunteer, that could work and cut the time down...
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

• Zyles
  • Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 11:46 PM #19

Altough, knowing me... Ill make one anyway when I decide to actually template cs rather than using default blue.. which kind of suites what I wanted anyway..

The point is not making a template in XHTML to use default_blue. The point is making a standard XHTML template that can be used as a base for new XHTML templates. So the best template for that would be default_blue right? The design is already there, it just needs new code.
Marketing tip:

• SWS
  • Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 12:50 AM #20

The point is not making a template in XHTML to use default_blue. The point is making a standard XHTML template that can be used as a base for new XHTML templates. So the best template for that would be default_blue right? The design is already there, it just needs new code.

Thats pretty much what I should have said...

My intentions are to convert default blue and then once I have a base xhtml template I can then re-skin it... I dunno, maybe its me going mad had a long day :confused: and been battling with modding Kayako E-Support for a day or so..
Can you beleive they outright REFUSED all their customers the use of an optional WYSIWYG edditor for outgoing emails ! So I did one myself :rolleyes:

Now im just babbling on... Ill shut up
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]