• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Paypal Website Payments Standard Rate Topic   - - - - -

• rocco
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 04:46 AM #1

Hi,

I am using Paypal Website Payments Standard.

My issues:

1. I want to enable "Payment Data Transfer"
per paypal:

"Payment Data Transfer (optional):
PayPal will post a token associated with the transaction, and you will need to send this token back to PayPal in order to obtain the payment details associated with the transaction. Based in the CGI script that you write for the page associated with the Return URL, you may dynamically post transaction details and confirmation that the payment has been completed to your customer. To use Payment Data Transfer, you must be able to support this notification system."

My question: is cs-cart 1.3.3 compatible with this feature? What should my "Return URL" be? (see attached pp_returnURL.gif)

2. I want to use "Instant Payment Notification"
per paypal:

"Instant Payment Notification Preferences
Activate Instant Payment Notification
Before activating Instant Payment Notification, please read the instructions to ensure that you can support the notification system.
Instant Payment Notification integrates PayPal payment notification and authentication with your website's back-end operations. Check this box to activate Instant Payment Notification, and enter the URL at which you will receive the payment notifications below.
Notification URL:
http://
"

see attached pp_IPN.gif
My questions: how does that work in CS-Cart 1.3.3? What should the "Notification URL" be? Where do I see the notification, is it in the admin section?

Thank you,
Rocco

Attached Thumbnails

• pp_returnURL.gif
  • pp_IPN.gif

Posted 12 November 2006 - 07:27 AM #2

CSC uses IPN and does not require PDT. PDT is not reliable because the user can close their browser and PDT will be unable to pass back the transaction id, status and amount. This is why IPN is used. The information CSC sends to PayPal for IPN includes the return URL and your primary PayPal email. On PayPal's side, it doen't matter what you enter in the url field because CSC will override it anyway. Also, the PayPal email is supplied by CSC and should be your Primary PayPal email address as send in CSC admin.

Larry
SculptingStudio.com
DigitalOcean VM

Ubuntu 14.04

Nginx

• Kestrel
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:50 PM #3

Hi, I just tested my V1.34 CS cart in the PayPal sandbox, and the PayPal setup is as easy as you all have implied. Stupid question, however: is PayPal supposed to send you back to the CS cart without the user touching a link?? I had to hit the link at the bottom of the page to return to the "successful checkout" screen in my cart, and I wondered if that was what was implied by the "auto return".

Otherwise the method seems to work fine...

Russ

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:52 PM #4

Hi, I just tested my V1.34 CS cart in the PayPal sandbox, and the PayPal setup is as easy as you all have implied. Stupid question, however: is PayPal supposed to send you back to the CS cart without the user touching a link?? I had to hit the link at the bottom of the page to return to the "successful checkout" screen in my cart, and I wondered if that was what was implied by the "auto return".

Otherwise the method seems to work fine...

In PayPal, yes. In PayPal Pro, no. Just remember, since csc is using ipn, you can close the browser window instead of clicking the continue link and the order will still be processed.

Larry
SculptingStudio.com
DigitalOcean VM

Ubuntu 14.04

Nginx

• rocco
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 02:17 AM #5

CSC uses IPN and does not require PDT. PDT is not reliable because the user can close their browser and PDT will be unable to pass back the transaction id, status and amount. This is why IPN is used. The information CSC sends to PayPal for IPN includes the return URL and your primary PayPal email. On PayPal's side, it doen't matter what you enter in the url field because CSC will override it anyway. Also, the PayPal email is supplied by CSC and should be your Primary PayPal email address as send in CSC admin.

Larry,

Thank you for the reply.

You are saying "return URL," which is used for PDT. The term paypal uses for IPN is "Notification URL."

In any case, I think you are saying this:
1. forget PDT
2. check the checkbox on the "Activate Instant Payment Notification" page (pp_IPN.gif screenshot)
3. leave the "Notification URL" blank or with the default of "http://"

Am I correct? I assume I can disable the "Return URL" feature, too, since its main use is for PDT.

Also, how will the admin section of CS-Cart let me know the item has successfully been paid for?

Thanks a lot again,
Rocco

Posted 13 November 2006 - 02:32 AM #6

Larry,

Thank you for the reply.

You are saying "return URL," which is used for PDT. The term paypal uses for IPN is "Notification URL."

In any case, I think you are saying this:
1. forget PDT
2. check the checkbox on the "Activate Instant Payment Notification" page (pp_IPN.gif screenshot)
3. leave the "Notification URL" blank or with the default of "http://"

Am I correct? I assume I can disable the "Return URL" feature, too, since its main use is for PDT.

Also, how will the admin section of CS-Cart let me know the item has successfully been paid for?

Thanks a lot again,
Rocco

You don't need PDT for CSC. You do need to check the box to activate IPN (Instant Payment Notification). I don't think you can leave the notification url blank, but if you can, this is fine, if not, you can just enter your website url. CSC will let you know you have received an order via email. You can also view orders in the admin section.

Larry
SculptingStudio.com
DigitalOcean VM

Ubuntu 14.04

Nginx

• rocco
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 04:24 PM #7

You don't need PDT for CSC. You do need to check the box to activate IPN (Instant Payment Notification). I don't think you can leave the notification url blank, but if you can, this is fine, if not, you can just enter your website url. CSC will let you know you have received an order via email. You can also view orders in the admin section.

Thanks again.

Yes, I know CSC lets me know by email that an order has been placed, but how do I know the order has actually been paid for? I have done a test where I didn't actually pay for the test item on paypal's website, but in CSC admin, it still said there was an order placed.

So IPN works even though I don't check the Activate IPN check box?

Thanks,
Rocco

Posted 13 November 2006 - 06:03 PM #8

Thanks again.

Yes, I know CSC lets me know by email that an order has been placed, but how do I know the order has actually been paid for? I have done a test where I didn't actually pay for the test item on paypal's website, but in CSC admin, it still said there was an order placed.

So IPN works even though I don't check the Activate IPN check box?

In CSC, you will see the status change from "Open" to "Processed" when the payment is successful and you will receive an email from PayPal showing the payment. Also, when you view the order on CSC, it will show the PayPal transaction id number indicating a payment. You need to activate IPN in PayPal (check the box).

Larry
SculptingStudio.com
DigitalOcean VM

Ubuntu 14.04

Nginx

• rocco
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 06:34 PM #9

Larry,

I see now that you had already answered the "do I need to check the checkbox" question. Sorry.

And thank you for all the quick responses.

I will check that checkbox, place a test order (it will cost me $0.31) and will post the results.

Regards,
Rocco

Posted 13 November 2006 - 07:24 PM #10

Larry,

I see now that you had already answered the "do I need to check the checkbox" question. Sorry.

And thank you for all the quick responses.

I will check that checkbox, place a test order (it will cost me $0.31) and will post the results.

Regards,
Rocco

On the paypal side, you can do a refund and it will not cost you a cent.

Larry
SculptingStudio.com
DigitalOcean VM

Ubuntu 14.04

Nginx

• rocco
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 07:57 PM #11

Larry,

I checked the "Activate IPN" checkbox, left the url field completely blank (no "http://"), and the order went through fine, and it showed as "Processed" in CSC admin. Thank you!

After placing the order, I was still on the paypal site (url in address bar read https://www.paypal.c...cgi-bin/webscr). I had a "Return to Merchant" link at bottom left of the page. I clicked on it and it took me to the "Congratulations, your order has been places successfully" page in CSC on the "Home>>Orders>>Order Info" section. Can buyers be directed to this order-specific page in CSC without having to click "Return to Merchant" in paypal?

Well, the item was $0.01, free shipping, but paypal charges like $0.30 per transaction, don't they? You're saying I can get it all refunded (customer (me ;) ) cc amount, AND merchant (me ;) )transaction fee?

Thanks again,
Rocco

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:04 PM #12

Larry,

I checked the "Activate IPN" checkbox, left the url field completely blank (no "http://"), and the order went through fine, and it showed as "Processed" in CSC admin. Thank you!

After placing the order, I was still on the paypal site (url in address bar read https://www.paypal.c...cgi-bin/webscr). I had a "Return to Merchant" link at bottom left of the page. I clicked on it and it took me to the "Congratulations, your order has been places successfully" page in CSC on the "Home>>Orders>>Order Info" section. Can buyers be directed to this order-specific page in CSC without having to click "Return to Merchant" in paypal?

Well, the item was $0.01, free shipping, but paypal charges like $0.30 per transaction, don't they? You're saying I can get it all refunded (customer (me ;) ) cc amount, AND merchant (me ;) )transaction fee?

Thanks again,
Rocco

You can't automatically return to your cart, that is one reason they have PayPal Pro. Paypal will not charge a fee for more than the item cost. If you look at the transaction on PayPal, you will see a refund link af the bottom of the page.

Larry
SculptingStudio.com
DigitalOcean VM

Ubuntu 14.04

Nginx

• qsenc
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 12:38 PM #13

I have checked the ipn box on paypal, my primary address is the same with the email in my admin area and after i made a purchase , orders shows as "open" in my admin area. I don't receive any confirmation email . i try that with pdt enable and disable.
Any advice is welcome
Thanks