WARNING! - DO NOT give CSCART live server details!

CS-CART CAN NOT BE TRUSTED WITH YOUR SERVER!

We have submitted two code issues on our servers in the last 30 days via the paid support interface.

The first time it was assumed that their developers would know not to make changes to a live server (as we specifically told them is was a live server) and to only post the suggested code changes so we could test. They went ahead and made the changes without any documentation and caused our entire cart to fail. We lost a $7,000 sale as a result. We spoke with the tech support manager who assured us this would never happen again and that their tech support people would always fully document every change and would NEVER make changes to a LIVE server again.

Over the weekend we posted another issue with the following text:

=========================================================================

THIS IS A LIVE SERVER - DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES TO THE CODE OR FILES. PLEASE SEND US THE CODE CHANGES TO BE TESTED.

=========================================================================

We provided the FTP details to the LIVE server and the DEVELOPMENT server so they could review the files on the LIVE, but make tests on the DEVELOPMENT server. However, this morning they posted that they made changes to both servers and once again provided no documentation whatsoever about the changes they have made.

I’m leaving to China for 22 days tomorrow and I now have a cart that has been changed and I have no idea where or if it will cause issues with orders.

So, the moral of this story. The developers at CSCART obviously have such a low level comprehension of the English language that it is highly inadvisable to provide them access to your LIVE server under any circumstances.

At this point I think we are going to have to get our legal team involved if this last change causes us to lose any more sales.

Be forewarned!!

Sorry to hear your problems, I have not encountered this problem. On my Live sites, Cs-cart just sends me the DIFF file and I make the changes myself.

I’m not trying to justify what they did but…

…turning over or even earning 7k in a day or a few, why don’t invest 3min at the end of your working day and run the backup? Why not have a cron to run every 30min and keep last 3 days? Why not to call your hosting company to restore yesterday’s backup? Free backup solutions are available at hotscripts.com and then -? PHP

I would have just asked them what files they need and email them to them this way I could test and update myself.

I can’t understand that why they did it so, we needed something in the past as well and got the code fix through the help desk answer. They didn’t ask for our server log in or something similar.

I had a helpdesk issue last month where they made changes to 2 files on my server but they fully documented all the changes they made and my site was not live at the time. I had no issues with this at all.

[quote name=‘Noman’]I’m not trying to justify what they did but…

…turning over or even earning 7k in a day or a few, why don’t invest 3min at the end of your working day and run the backup? Why not have a cron to run every 30min and keep last 3 days? Why not to call your hosting company to restore yesterday’s backup? Free backup solutions are available at hotscripts.com and then -? PHP[/quote]

That is what I did, I called my host, found out which files had changed in the last 24 hours and restored the file. However the customer went elsewhere during this process.

[quote name=‘whiplash13’]I had a helpdesk issue last month where they made changes to 2 files on my server but they fully documented all the changes they made and my site was not live at the time. I had no issues with this at all.[/quote]

Sometimes they do this, but for whatever reason we have found that some of the support people don’t do this. Even when we ask them to do it.

[quote name=‘indy0077’]I can’t understand that why they did it so, we needed something in the past as well and got the code fix through the help desk answer. They didn’t ask for our server log in or something similar.[/quote]

Alot of the issues we have require them to see the code on the server and the error they are generating. But that’s why we set up our development server. Seems even that does not work.

Hello jmottle,

We sincerely apologize for our developer’s mistake, he should not have made any changes in your live store without your permission.

After discovering that the issue consisted in only one line in the file of the addon developed by him, the developer corrected it on your test server. Having checked the results he, due to his inexperience, made a wrong decision to correct the error on the live server thinking that it would be more convenient for you.

We admit that our developer made a big mistake and did not pay enough attention to your warning. I have personally informed all the developers about the incident to avoid such mistakes in the future.

Thank you for understanding

Sincerely yours,

Oleg Gorshkov

Head of the custom development department

https://www.cs-cart.com

It’s nice to see the company acknowledge this and respond.

Nice follow up Oleg.

[quote name=‘CutRiteFX’]It’s nice to see the company acknowledge this and respond.

Nice follow up Oleg.[/QUOTE]

I second that!!! :stuck_out_tongue: