• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Compare Prestashop Vs CS-Cart Rate Topic   - - - - -

• Guest_Blorg_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:03 PM #41

Anyone know which of these solutions (prestahop or cs-cart) has a better Quickbooks integration. This is a main consideration for me and I need to choose one of these two ASAP and get my old store converted.

• Guest_Josh Burns_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:58 PM #42

If you need only one module, you need to put your hand into your wallet...

http://www.prestasto...es-prestashop#1

It should be noted that the most common gateways such as Google Shopping and PayPal are free and included within PrestaShop. A lot of their modules are free, actually.

• dotell
  • Trial users
  • 218 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:05 AM #43

I'm currently testing both of these.

Cs-cart seems like just what I need, but all this talk of it being slow and what not has me a bit concerned. I've been trying all the tweeks to htaccess, gzip, jsmart and more to see what happens. So far I only added a few items and it loads 1 sec slower than my old osc store that has 6000 products in it and way more product photos and stuff (including two animated banners) on the front page. Old site gets B's on Gtmetrix, cs-cart getting C's...same dedicated server as well. It's a bit frustrating because I want to go with something and get it over with.

Prestashop has a boatload of great reports and stuff, but the admin area looks like chaos. Just beginning testing on it. I hope their forums are good. Great thing about osc was you could always get an answer and help with code for anything. Seems like a lot of unanswered posts in this forum...another concern.

• Flow
  • Super Duper and Amazingly Sexy Senior
  • Members
  • 2405 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:13 PM #44

Hi there!

You should easily get a B with a cs-cart shop. Only thing you really have to do to get cs-cart faster on customer side (admin side is always slower since this is all dynamic) is move to cache bankend system SQlite (do this in config.local.php) and install smartoptimizer, which should also take care of gzip and all that. It's a 2 minute job installing it.

If you, on top of that, run google mod_pagespeed on your server, you will get really high scores. I have a cs-cart store scoring between 93 and 95 on google pagespeed.

About things not being answered here on the forum: well, there are some things of course, but most questions have been answered a lot of times already so some of us tend to just skip those questions because it gets tiring: all they have to do to find the answer is do a little search or look in the knowledge base: http://kb2.cs-cart.com/

Tip: also search in google like this: cs-cart "your problem here" , which sometimes works better then the search in the forum.

Also, this is a forum for users. Nobody here gets paid to answer questions. Still I think there are some people who really help out and when I came on board about 1,5 years ago, lots of people helped me.... some even went into my server and fixed things for me. And now I'm more experienced: I have done the same for some new people. Without their help I would never have been able to setup the 3 shops I'm running now.

More tips on speed, see my post here: http://forum.cs-cart...-i-am-launched/

Good luck with everything!

When life hands you lemons, bring on the Tequila baby!

• dotell
  • Trial users
  • 218 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:55 PM #45

Hi there!

You should easily get a B with a cs-cart shop. Only thing you really have to do to get cs-cart faster on customer side (admin side is always slower since this is all dynamic) is move to cache bankend system SQlite (do this in config.local.php) and install smartoptimizer, which should also take care of gzip and all that. It's a 2 minute job installing it.

If you, on top of that, run google mod_pagespeed on your server, you will get really high scores. I have a cs-cart store scoring between 93 and 95 on google pagespeed.

Thanks for the reply! Actually, I'm an obsessive and tireless worker when it comes to all this shop stuff, however, haven't had any formal training in php or css. What I do know is self taught, though I have had training in c++ and other stuff. Anyway, I've been resting for years with my current shop, so I sort of have to re-learn a lot of this stuff. I've tried repeatedly to get smartoptimzer to work, but it looks like the page loses it's formatting and everything is on the left side of hte screen. I've tried everything I could find about it on these forums (including deleting so htacces folder, copying store htacces folder to there, etc.). Weird thing is, jsmart (the older verson of smartoptimizer) works fine. I have gzip enabled and I've done some of the other tweaks found in the forums. I haven't done the Sqlite thing though, I'll investigate this further and see if I can implement it. Wish I could get SO and this working as you say.

After all this I've done so far, my page load times aren't bad anyway, just weird that the scores aren't what some people are getting. My front page loads in less than 2 sec. I have about 20 items loaded, and I'm only testing with the free version (so missing many addons). I must say that the more I dig into cs-cart the more I'm loving it. The block thing and the abilitiy to customize a lot of things is great. I don't even really want to mess with prestashop at this point. I just discovered all the options in reports last night, very cool. Seems like "sales by manufacturer" is missing though or did I just miss it. Tons of options, but I could not find how to make a list of sales by manufacturer or top ten manufacturers or something like that. Anyone do this?

I'm currently seeing if I can tweak the css to my liking by adding graphics to block headers and what not. Or maybe I'll just buy a template, haven't found any so far that really do it for me though.

After spending the entire weeking in cs-cart I think I'm about 95% sold. Still just a few more things to test out.

Another question...anyone have an cart issues directly related to this htaccess tweaking? Like things disappearing from the cart, etc. Are there certain thigns to avoid here?

• colortone
  • Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:42 PM #46

Prestashop could be a little faster right now, but will be in future versions as it brings more features?

Some cs-cart owners moved to VPS because shared hosting are not appropiate for this kind of rich featured carts. But the same goes for magento, opencart etc, just check the live shops on their forum. Once they install more addons, plugins, the cart gets slow and they need VPS.

My advice (as to any of my customers) will be start with a good shared host (for me hawkhost) and move up as traffic increase. If you wanna stay in shared, then optimize images, content, blocks, etc, make it lighter as possible.

• dotell
  • Trial users
  • 218 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:13 AM #47

Prestashop could be a little faster right now, but will be in future versions as it brings more features?

Some cs-cart owners moved to VPS because shared hosting are not appropiate for this kind of rich featured carts. But the same goes for magento, opencart etc, just check the live shops on their forum. Once they install more addons, plugins, the cart gets slow and they need VPS.

My advice (as to any of my customers) will be start with a good shared host (for me hawkhost) and move up as traffic increase. If you wanna stay in shared, then optimize images, content, blocks, etc, make it lighter as possible.

I'm on a dedicated server that has VPS software that I have divided up serving 3 different sites of my own. My store site is the only one that has any kind of traffice worth mentioning. I'm actually planning to build a new server box of my own though and have it located at a local server biz. Safe my some money and have a faster updated machine.

Looks like cs-cart has most things I want and with the addition of about 6 or 7 addons it's just about everything I want. The extra stuff I'd probably have to have custom code work done (like ability to create a newsletter with a couple clicks containing latest 30 or so new products listed with links like Pinnacle cart does). Reports by manufacturer and a few others. I wonder if there's a way to implement the old Who's Online thing from Oscommerce, where you can monitor store traffice live, see what ip address is connected to site and what's in their carts, in anything.

• Flow
  • Members
  • 2405 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:13 PM #48

Glad you're liking it so far. Yes, cs-cart has it's quirks but it's really a nice little program.

The who's online is actually already there, on the bottom you can see how many people are online, just click on it.

If you want me to have a quick look at you SO install, just let me know... (not that i am the expert, but i have got it working on 3 shops).

• dotell
  • Trial users
  • 218 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:22 PM #49

Glad you're liking it so far. Yes, cs-cart has it's quirks but it's really a nice little program.

The who's online is actually already there, on the bottom you can see how many people are online, just click on it.

If you want me to have a quick look at you SO install, just let me know... (not that i am the expert, but i have got it working on 3 shops).

Oh I'm testing with the free version, I just checked out the full version demo for what you mentioned....perfect! Thanks for the enlightenment!

• dotell
  • Trial users
  • 218 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:49 AM #50

Just spent hours jacking around with this SO to no avail. Either css breaks or it shows that no compression is on. I give up. I toyed around with the htaccess file trial and error. line by line...no go.

• tbirnseth
  • CS Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 12071 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:14 PM #51

Just add the following to your .htaccess (assuming your version of Apache has mod_defalte installed). No need for other compressions, though they will help slightly since they would be staticly run and cached. But this is usually a one-time hit for a user since the data will be decompressed and stored in the browser cache.
<IfModule mod_deflate.c>
SetOutputFilter DEFLATE

# compress content with type html, text, js, and css
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/css text/javascript text/xml image/svg+xml application/javascript application/x-javascript application/atom_xml application/rss+xml application/xml application/xhtml+xml application/x-httpd-php application/x-httpd-fastphp

# Properly handle old browsers that do not support compression
BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html
BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip
BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html

# Explicitly exclude binary files from compression just in case
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \.(?:gif|jpe?g|png)$ no-gzip dont-vary
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \.(?:exe|t?gz|zip|bz2|sit|rar)$ no-gzip dont-vary
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \.pdf$ no-gzip dont-vary
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \.avi$ no-gzip dont-vary
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \.mov$ no-gzip dont-vary
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \.mp3$ no-gzip dont-vary
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \.mp4$ no-gzip dont-vary
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \.rm$ no-gzip dont-vary

# properly handle requests coming from behind proxies
Header append Vary User-Agent env=!dont-vary
</IfModule>

EZ Merchant Solutions: Custom (USA based) B2B Development, Consulting, Development and Special Projects (get a quote here).
Commercial addons, payment methods and modifications to meet your business and operations needs.

• dotell
  • Trial users
  • 218 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:48 PM #52

Just add the following to your .htaccess (assuming your version of Apache has mod_defalte installed). No need for other compressions, though they will help slightly since they would be staticly run and cached. But this is usually a one-time hit for a user since the data will be decompressed and stored in the browser cache.

<IfModule mod_deflate.c>
SetOutputFilter DEFLATE

# compress content with type html, text, js, and css
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/css text/javascript text/xml image/svg+xml application/javascript application/x-javascript application/atom_xml application/rss+xml application/xml application/xhtml+xml application/x-httpd-php application/x-httpd-fastphp

# Properly handle old browsers that do not support compression
BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html
BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip
BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html

# Explicitly exclude binary files from compression just in case
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \.(?:gif|jpe?g|png)$ no-gzip dont-vary
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \.(?:exe|t?gz|zip|bz2|sit|rar)$ no-gzip dont-vary
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \.pdf$ no-gzip dont-vary
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \.avi$ no-gzip dont-vary
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \.mov$ no-gzip dont-vary
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \.mp3$ no-gzip dont-vary
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \.mp4$ no-gzip dont-vary
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \.rm$ no-gzip dont-vary

# properly handle requests coming from behind proxies
Header append Vary User-Agent env=!dont-vary
</IfModule>

Thanks for the info! Is it better to do it this way to avoid errors in the shop? It's about 2-3 seconds slower load this way over what I was using, which was just simply this:

<IfModule mod_deflate.c>
<FilesMatch "\.(js|css|php|html)$">
SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
</FilesMatch>
</IfModule>

• tbirnseth
  • CS Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 12071 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:36 AM #53

Shouldn't be any slower (detectably slower anyway). The only difference is that it ensures that the receiving browser can handle it and also doesn't compress files that are already in a compressed format.

Just different ways to skin the same cat. But it shouldn't be any slower given that they both just use the DEFLATE directive.

I'm by no means an Apache expert. I was just passing along what I use and what has worked for me.

EZ Merchant Solutions: Custom (USA based) B2B Development, Consulting, Development and Special Projects (get a quote here).
Commercial addons, payment methods and modifications to meet your business and operations needs.

• Guest_Homer_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:49 PM #54

Shouldn't be any slower (detectably slower anyway). The only difference is that it ensures that the receiving browser can handle it and also doesn't compress files that are already in a compressed format.

Just different ways to skin the same cat. But it shouldn't be any slower given that they both just use the DEFLATE directive.

I'm by no means an Apache expert. I was just passing along what I use and what has worked for me.

Is there some real recommened power numbers for cs-cart? I just installed the full version trial and I can see why people say it's slow. I have all the htaccess tweaks in place (gzip, etc.) it just feels laggy. I'm on a dedicated server, but it's about 6 years old. Getting ready to move to new dedicated xeon with 4gb ram, hope that eliminates this laggyness.

• Flow
  • Members
  • 2405 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:59 AM #55

Does customer side also feel slow or just admin?

• WebWatch
  • Advanced Member
  • Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:26 PM #56

@Flow, I just tried your suggestion with SmartOptimizer in the other thread and that really kick started my trial site.
I was worried about the speed on the customer side, but after this, I am relaxed.
Thank you for posting that tutorial so we all can speed up.

CS-Cart 4.4.3

• Flow
  • Members
  • 2405 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:13 AM #57

Good to hear. That really does help eh? :)

• WebWatch
  • Advanced Member
  • Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:53 PM #58

@Flow, it sure does.

I made the jump and purchased my license now.
Setting it all up now and will migrate all ISC details before launching the new site.

Now that v3 is around the corner....whould I wait or release to v2.2.4 ?

CS-Cart 4.4.3

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:58 AM #59

Now that v3 is around the corner....should I wait or release to v2.2.4 ?

I'd start now with 2.2.4 and just upgrade later. The decision is simple, each day your cart isn't running, your competition is taking your profit from you.

Larry
SculptingStudio.com
DigitalOcean VM

Ubuntu 14.04

Nginx

• tbirnseth
  • CS Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 12071 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:11 AM #60

I'd ask yourself the question: "What is in V3 that I must have and why can't I get by without it?"

If you gotta have something then you need to wait. If not, go with 2.2.4 and then about next year this time, consider looking at an upgrade (if it's available by then).

@sculptingstudio - Sure be interested to know more about your site configuration. I've never seen a cloud instance perform like that.