• 3 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:14 AM #21

i prefer cscart not presta shop it`s much stable cscart

• Lee Li Pop
  • Members
  • 941 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:22 PM #22

Hello Eplebiten,

1 - Module for module, which is cheaper?

2 - Which is best buy?

3 - Do you use PrestaShop in real world?

4 - Is that all external modules of PrestaShop base, work perfectly together in all conditions without any conflicts?

Lee Li Pop
If All Else Fails, Read The Instruction Manual! Knowledge Base 2.x + CS-Cart Instruction Manual

Hosted at Pair.com since 2000. Zero hacking attempts during first 11 years... And counting!

• E.Qi.Librium
  • Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:01 AM #23

I moved from prestashop to cs-cart, best thing I could have done.
Yes, cscart is not perfect, neither are any of the other shopping carts, but Prestashop... well, just to unstable, to many errors, to many gliches, to many uncompatibilities. Forget about it if you plan to have a successfull on-line shop.
But this is just my opinion of course ;)

• eplebiten
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:27 AM #24

Hello Eplebiten,

1 - Module for module, which is cheaper?

2 - Which is best buy?

3 - Do you use PrestaShop in real world?

4 - Is that all external modules of PrestaShop base, work perfectly together in all conditions without any conflicts?

Lee Li Pop

I responded to your claim about payment modules for CSC is free, while you have to pay for modules for Prestashop, and I referred to the fact that I had to pay a total of 400 $ to have a working payment module. That's not free. And we're talking about a module that is included with the cart.

1 - I've never said anything about Prestashop being cheaper.

2. That would depend of what you need. Which one would fill your needs the best. If you're gonna have a store without anything fancy then Prestashop could be the best one. CSC can be too bloated for several stores.

3. Yes, I do. I use the following carts: CSC, Magento, Prestashop and Avactis, and the latter is imho the best one for my use. (And I run several other carts for testing purposes.)

4. All modules can bring forward conflicts. Both those who already written of externally and internaly developers. You could ask Snorocket about this as he is one of the most active rescources within development of addons. I've used modules written by 3rd party developers working perfectly, while modules developed by the cart developer have brought nothing but despair.

One example of a module written by the cart developer that brought conflicts would be the Dibs payment module. They introduced a new version of the module, probably based on the one they developed for me, which didn't work.
It was getting messy at home, so I just got married.

• Lee Li Pop
  • Members
  • 941 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:36 PM #25

Hello Eplebiten,

[...]Avactis, and the latter is imho the best one for my use.[...]

I didn't know Avactis.

Terrible "Search Engine Optimized URLs".

For example:

/info/pid/3.html
SEO level: 0

Lee Li Pop
If All Else Fails, Read The Instruction Manual! Knowledge Base 2.x + CS-Cart Instruction Manual

Hosted at Pair.com since 2000. Zero hacking attempts during first 11 years... And counting!

• eplebiten
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:54 PM #26

Now it seems like you're grasping for anything.

We're not discussing Avactis, where the SEO-structure can be changed to write better seo, but Prestashop.

• Lee Li Pop
  • Members
  • 941 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:12 PM #27

Hello Eplebiten,

Now it seems like you're grasping for anything.

We're not discussing Avactis, where the SEO-structure can be changed to write better seo, but Prestashop.

Sorry, but I believe I read in your post the name of Avactis:

[...]Avactis [...] is [...] the best one for my use.

http://demo.avactis....info/pid/3.html

How to add product name in URL?

https://demo.avactis...t.php?pid3.html

System identifier for categories. Default value is pid. This ID may be changed but cannot be left blank.

Source: https://demo.avactis...tamp=1278694653

The same with PrestaShop about SEO urls:

It's a big pain to try to remove the number in the begining of URL:

/[COLOR="Red"][B]1[/B][/COLOR]-ipod-nano.html

Source: http://www.prestasho...-ipod-nano.html

Please, it's seems to me than with CS-Cart SEO urls are a little bit easier a lot more powerful and cleaner and better than Avactis or PrestaShop ;)

Lee Li Pop

• eplebiten
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:35 PM #28

I am using Avactis and at the moment it's my favourite, and that's what I wrote. This whole thread is about Prestashop vs CSC, so starting to argue about another cart system would be considered as wasting peoples time.

I'm starting to suspect you of beeing too blind of any cons of CSC, and if so there will be no point in any further discussion.

• Lee Li Pop
  • Members
  • 941 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:57 PM #29

Hello Eplebiten,

I understand that is a PrestaShop post. However, before to shoot on CS-Cart, you could begin to answer my three questions: ;)

1 - How to add product name in the Avactis URL?

2 - How to remove number in the PrestaShop URL?

3 - It seems to me that a good URL structure, like CS-Cart can do it automaticaly without any parasite character, is one of the basis of good manners of SEO, right?

Lee Li Pop

• S-Combs
  • Members
  • 692 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:46 AM #30

I would like to add something about Prestashop that will prevent me from ever using or supporting it.

Below is a quote from their system requirements and it actually tells you a great deal about what to expect from these developers and their willingness to adapt to changes.

http://www.prestasho...m/en/downloads/

System requirements:

* - Linux, Unix, or Windows
* - Web Server (Apache 1.3 or later, IIS 6 or later)
* - PHP 5.0* or later
* - MySQL 5** or later

* Some PHP 5 versions are bugged and prevent PrestaShop from working correctly:

* - PHP 5.2.1 (authentication is impossible)
* - PHP 5.2.6 (authentication is impossible under 64bits servers)
* - PHP 5.2.9 (image management/upload broken)
* - PHP < 5.2 (invalid date timezone)

** PrestaShop is working from MySQL 4.1.14 to 5.0 too but some features are not working (e.g., product duplication) or have strange behaviors

Notice the constant complaints about buggy PHP versions preventing some functions from working. This is poor programming and not the foundation it is built on. Every worthy developer knows that changes are inevitable and you must adapt to them as they come. These guys appear to be unwilling to do so and that is going to be a very big problem soon..

All quality hosting companies are now waiting for PHP developers to modify their products to be compatible to the now available PHP 5.3+ before they upgrade their servers to that version. We are nearly all still using PHP 5.2.13 because there are a bunch of newly depreciated functions in PHP 5.3 and many current scripts will be broken unless these functions are rewritten.

I've looked through the coding of Prestashops newest beta and it still contains some of these depreciated functions such as eregi and split so I guess they will now need to add another line to that quote above that PHP 5.3 is also buggy.

I have nothing against open source developers and have been one myself for years but, nearly all commercial products incorporate much better quality control and support. They will also certainly adapt to changes because they have to if they wish to stay in business.

My 2 cents
Secure Cart Hosting
[CS-Cart Optimized Solutions and Server Management]

• mrfoameruk
  • Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:38 AM #31

I would like to add something about Prestashop that will prevent me from ever using or supporting it.

Below is a quote from their system requirements and it actually tells you a great deal about what to expect from these developers and their willingness to adapt to changes.

http://www.prestasho...m/en/downloads/

Notice the constant complaints about buggy PHP versions preventing some functions from working. This is poor programming and not the foundation it is built on. Every worthy developer knows that changes are inevitable and you must adapt to them as they come. These guys appear to be unwilling to do so and that is going to be a very big problem soon..

All quality hosting companies are now waiting for PHP developers to modify their products to be compatible to the now available PHP 5.3+ before they upgrade their servers to that version. We are nearly all still using PHP 5.2.13 because there are a bunch of newly depreciated functions in PHP 5.3 and many current scripts will be broken unless these functions are rewritten.

I've looked through the coding of Prestashops newest beta and it still contains some of these depreciated functions such as eregi and split so I guess they will now need to add another line to that quote above that PHP 5.3 is also buggy.

I have nothing against open source developers and have been one myself for years but, nearly all commercial products incorporate much better quality control and support. They will also certainly adapt to changes because they have to if they wish to stay in business.

My 2 cents

Are you trying to tell me cscart isnt buggy? There's a whole forum that would shoot you down straight away.
http://UKBeading.co.uk.....one day I will get round to it and stop playing......

cs cart 4.1.4

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:41 AM #32

Are you trying to tell me cscart isnt buggy? There's a whole forum that would shoot you down straight away.

Most likely not :)

CS-Carts fix for deprecated functions :P
/*
 * PHP options
 */

// Disable notices displaying
error_reporting(E_ALL ^ E_NOTICE);
if (version_compare(PHP_VERSION, '5.3.0', '>=')) {
    error_reporting(error_reporting() & ~E_DEPRECATED);
}

I've moved on from CS-Cart to WooC******** - If you need anything I can be of little help.

• Guest_Infidels Inc._*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:57 PM #33

Hi all - I've been using Prestashop 1.3.6 for about a year or so and was pretty easy to get going. Pulled it down, setup the DB, used the basic modules (all I needed) that came with it and found a free theme to run with it so it's been a good solution for me for a while. Now that Prestashop is updating (e.g. 1.4.x) to live shipping and other stuff - I initially tried to do an update to my shop which failed for some reason and was giving 'tax' errors and other stuff that (being a relative beginner) couldn't find out how to fix so I rolled back to 1.3.6 - which again, runs like a champ because it's simple to use and I don't require tons of plugins or outside functionality with modules.

I'm in the process of moving to CS-Cart just haven't pulled the trigger - I think my main reason is that again I have an easy store - but I found that with Prestashop they tend to update the version almost every month or so - which is good and bad. Good that they're fixing errors/bugs - bad that you can never keep your custom theme or modules updated unless you can work with the developer... so unless you want to spend hours trying to figure it out, you're stuck essentially with the same version. I like the idea that CS-Cart can be updated automatically and they do (even though they have bugs) work on those and seem to stretch out the updates.

I understand that prestashop's auto-update is getting better, but just looking for a long-term partner that doesn't post updates every 30 days :(

I guess in closing - I don't really have any heartaches with Prestashop, just looking for something with some update schedule/stability and CSS editing that may be easier to learn.

• johnbol1
  • Never Re
  • Members
  • 4942 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:44 AM #34

Could go on and on and argue...Lee Li is right.. I ran presta for a year, and doesnt match CS in any areas if you have product options (or variants) as Presta calls them.

yes it may suit some but...CSC all the way for me.

John

Custom printed hi visibility clothing sale the UK's online hivis safety shop
v4.5.2

• Guest_Jean Edwards_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:40 AM #35

I've tried using quite a few carts (Miva merchant,OS COmmerce, Cube-Cart, PrestaShop, 3D cart, Joomla, Magento, Wordpress..) to find the best for my needs. I need an ecommerce website that is EASILY configurable/changeable using html and css; not pure PHP code. One-page checkout. Downloadable products. Customer management. Easily import products and categories. Options for various popular payment gateways. And, either BUY NOW package (e.g. PrestaShop incl modules needed; Avactis; CS-Cart...) OR a REASONABLE once-a-month payment (less than US$35/month).

Avactis: like the look, good price (especially with 60% off promos). Excellent ONLY if you don't want to tweak/customise because (for example) it uses tags which you have to insert into php code- aaargh. So not much use to me if i want to change the look.
PrestaShop: really clean, fast cart. Free but need to buy mods for usual features. Looks great, many items are customisable with css and html, but still has bugs and weaknesses (such as upgrading- you have to manually upgrade any changes you've made.... aaargh again).
Miva merchant: EXcellent cart. Can't fault it, apart from the monthly cost (costing me about US$60+ a month, PLUS us$40 a month for ANZ egate facility).
CS Cart: looking good, reviews sound good. Am about to give it a go on the free trial... will report back.

• Ion_Cannon
  • Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:26 PM #36

There is good and bad to both. Prestashop is a better converting cart IMO. My sales dropped about 15% when I moved from presta to cs-cart. CS-Cart has the better shipping/carrier functionality and I was able to do FedEx label printing with shippingkit's 3rd part solution for CS-cart. This was a huge benefit for our fulfillment. CS-Cart also comes with several nice features but the overall negative reviews go to performance of CS-Cart. The cart is generally thought of as SLOW. Prestashop is very fast. So again, there is good and bad. The best thing to do is to test each cart and see which performs better for your needs. I think Prestashop for the long haul is gaining more steam. Just trying to be objective here. You are on a CS-Cart forum so expect a lot of bias. LOL
--
Lolita Glasses
Currently Running: CS-Cart 2.2.4

• Ion_Cannon
  • Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:29 PM #37

Hi all - I've been using Prestashop 1.3.6 for about a year or so and was pretty easy to get going. Pulled it down, setup the DB, used the basic modules (all I needed) that came with it and found a free theme to run with it so it's been a good solution for me for a while. Now that Prestashop is updating (e.g. 1.4.x) to live shipping and other stuff - I initially tried to do an update to my shop which failed for some reason and was giving 'tax' errors and other stuff that (being a relative beginner) couldn't find out how to fix so I rolled back to 1.3.6 - which again, runs like a champ because it's simple to use and I don't require tons of plugins or outside functionality with modules.

I'm in the process of moving to CS-Cart just haven't pulled the trigger - I think my main reason is that again I have an easy store - but I found that with Prestashop they tend to update the version almost every month or so - which is good and bad. Good that they're fixing errors/bugs - bad that you can never keep your custom theme or modules updated unless you can work with the developer... so unless you want to spend hours trying to figure it out, you're stuck essentially with the same version. I like the idea that CS-Cart can be updated automatically and they do (even though they have bugs) work on those and seem to stretch out the updates.

I understand that prestashop's auto-update is getting better, but just looking for a long-term partner that doesn't post updates every 30 days Posted Image

I guess in closing - I don't really have any heartaches with Prestashop, just looking for something with some update schedule/stability and CSS editing that may be easier to learn.

Yikes...be careful here. PM me if you want more information. I did the same thing you did....think it over.
--
Lolita Glasses
Currently Running: CS-Cart 2.2.4

• tbirnseth
  • CS Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 12071 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:20 PM #38

Why is it folks feel compelled to update their stores when an update is available?
If you are running a commercial operation (and not a hobby) and the current version is offerring you all the features you want and need, why would you consider upgrading at all. I.e. "If it aint' broke, don't fix it."

You can turn the notifications off in the database and just merrily go along until you absolutely have to upgrade for some reason or another and then you just have to click on the upgrade center and away you go.

I'd like to see cs-cart rotate their upgrades. It used to work out that even numbered versions were primarily new features and odd-numbered versions were primarily bugfixes (it wasn't intentional, it just worked out that way). I'd like to see that become a policy somehow so that every other release (or every 3rd release) is a bugfix only release. I.e. 2.2.4 fixed several problems and did not inject any new functionality that I'm aware of (though there was lots of internal restructuring in preperation for 3.0, but nothing one would call significant new features). It was nice....

EZ Merchant Solutions: Custom (USA based) B2B Development, Consulting, Development and Special Projects (get a quote here).
Commercial addons, payment methods and modifications to meet your business and operations needs.

• colortone
  • Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:38 PM #39

There is good and bad to both. Prestashop is a better converting cart IMO.

Good to hear your experience and your honest opinion. I hope cs-cart will improve.
My question will be if the higher converting rate (HCR) is because the cart generates more traffic?

-Is the higher convertion rate compared with the same amount of visitors?
-Could be the popularity of the cart (thousand of users) make it more SEO appealing?
-Is really the page speed an issue, instead of content, regarding a visitor buying a product?
I guess here, will be good to hear from some experiencing the opposite, mean HCR and high speed on cs-cart.

Regards,

• tbirnseth
  • CS Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 12071 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:57 PM #40

A conversion rate is simply that; a rate. I.e. if I have 10 visitors and 2 of them buy something I have a 20% conversion rate. If I have 100 visitors and 2 of them buy, I have a 2% conversion rate.

The conversion rate is not related to SEO in any way, shape or form. It is the rate at which visitors actually end up purchasing something after they've arrived at the store.

So it's all about content, pricing, ease of navigation, speed and simplicity. I.e. the SEO is behind you and now the visitor is shopping on your site. However, once there, total cost is probably the most significant item. Many people will tolerate slowness to save pennies on the total cost of an item (item cost plus shipping). But my experience shows that if they don't feel the site is secure or that the checkout process is too cumbersome, they are gone in seconds.

Number of visitors is directly related to SEO assuming most traffic comes from search engines (organic, not paid search) versus external links.

Note also that many merchants present their products in different ways and a shopping cart either makes this easier for them to do it in the way they want or it doesn't. There are certain characteristics of a cart that are independent of skins, colors, layout. These business processes can be confusing or have too many steps, etc. This is probably the major difference between carts. For example, having the add to cart pop-up come up and before the new user can really see what it says, it disappears. That could put some people off.

Every time you start adding features you change those characterisics of the cart in subtle ways and after you've introduced 100 new features, the cart is quite different (consumer view) than it was when you started.

Merchant choices is also a huge factor. Going to someone's home page of their store where they list 100 products not only makes it slow to load, but makes it very hard for me to find what I'm looking for. But the person who has a nice search capability that yields good results or who has their products structure into a few (not an overwhelming number) categories will also show bettter in my opinion.

All of this comes down to useability. Some of that is affected by the cart and some by merchant choices and some by the nature of the products.....

As usual, this is just my two cents since we seem to think there's always one thing we can do that will make "the big difference". But that is rarely true.

EZ Merchant Solutions: Custom (USA based) B2B Development, Consulting, Development and Special Projects (get a quote here).
Commercial addons, payment methods and modifications to meet your business and operations needs.