I'm willing to meet that if we can get approval from everyone else
shipfreejewelry.com

CS-Cart version 2.0.11

• brandonvd
  • is Super Awesome
  • Members
  • 2633 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:18 PM #42

The price of the addon depends on what features we want. We've already agreed on the features that add up to $760.00. If we want to add a calendar to make it so that we can select specific dates for the deals than that would remove the day of week option and cost an additional $80.00. If we want both a calendar and day of week than it will be an additional $160.00.

So to put it into a list:

$760.00 For Current Features

$840.00 For daily deal with calendar instead of day of week

$920.00 For daily deal with calendar and day of week

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Personally all I need is just the day of week and the current features. I don't mind going in once a week and setting up my promotions. My stock changes and my prices change and it is better for me to do this weekly instead of monthly.

Let me know what you guys want. Leave it the way it is or change it.

As for the price, I can probably toss in a few more dollars, but if I can keep it at $100.00 than that would be a lot better for my finances.

Also, I have no control over how long it takes CS-Cart to do an addon. If anyone wants they can probably fly to Russia and konk some heads and maybe it will get done faster, but besides that I don't think there is much that can be done.

Anyways, let me know your thoughts,

Brandon

• ogia
  • Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:01 PM #43

Is it necessary to have both a calendar and a day of the week? I'm assuming if there is a way to choose a date then you don't need a day of the week. If someone wants to run a deal for more than one day (like a weekend or whatever) having a date vs. day you can set up a deal without having to set it up separately for each day? If there is an advantage to having both, let me know. I am having trouble imagining all implementations of this. I'm just hoping we can get by with the $840 option vs. $920.

I've already put in my $100 and hoping more people will come along in the next few days to pitch in. If not, I will be adding the remaining $300, $400, $500.. whatever it calculates to. I just need it *now* and I know that CS-Cart is slow about these things. For instance, we are still waiting for the help desk. I threw in extra $$ for that several months ago. :? At $760, it averages out to around $125 per person. I already put in $100 and I anticipate upping that to at least $200 since there isn't a ton of interest here. I'd really like that to be my max, but if it doesn't work out then I guess I will be investing more.
CS-Cart 2.1.3 | Selling downloads
I recommend Newsletter Integration with Mailchimp

• ogia
  • Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:09 PM #44

sno - can you confirm how much has been donated for this addon so far?

• ogia
  • Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:08 PM #45

Okay, I just thought of something else I think is missing... the ability to set the time that the deal becomes active. This could be a global setting. My customers are not going to be keen on staying up till midnight waiting for a new deal to show up so I need to be able to set it up for something that works for them.

From what I can see, there are a couple of ways of using this addon.
1) You have a regular store and want to run a daily promotion that will bring customers into your store to buy the "too-good-to-pass-up" deal and hopefully they'll add a few other things to their cart while they are there. You can promote this deal on facebook, twitter, and by email to drive traffic into your store.
2) You are running a deal site like woot.com, babyhalfoff.com, kidsteals.com, etc. where the "deal" is the main thing. There is limited stock and customers watch the store with anticipation and deplete the stock shortly after the deal is posted. You'll also want to promote this deal through facebook, twitter, etc. so people can jump on it.

How is everyone planning to use it?

I am kind of doing a hybrid... it's a lot like #2 but I will have some extra items for people to pick up while they are there. I looked at a bunch of carts when deciding what to buy for my new store and while there is a lot of interest for this type of model, I couldn't find anything out of the box. I thought CS-Cart would be the best option with a custom addon. I think more people will come along that will want this addon but the $$ may not come in until later.

• shipweb
  • Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:48 PM #46

Ogia,

I love the signature. I've been trying my best to create a small ground swell concerning this mod.

My application of this mod is similar to yours.

The deal of the day function is ideally a promotion to get unique visitors to visit your website on a daily basis. In essence, this is a indirect method of acheiving revenue growth. You establish a product a day with a price close to your landing cost. You will not make money this way. However, your ROI will be accomplished through converting sales that are generated from visitors exploring your site and purchasing products not affiliated with your deal of the day. With that said, you use other eMarketing strategies to establish brand recognition, awareness, and loyalty (i.e., deal of the day email registration, social media releases, loyalty programs for frequent customers, WOW factors associated with the purchasing process).

This investment will pay for itself immediately!!!!!!!!

I have made a $75 donation so far. I am willing to increase that substantially, like yourself. As long as the incremental price is fair amongst all the people participating in this mod.

I am confused by your last message. An availability date? From what I gathered, you are selecting from products currently in inventory. The availability of the product should be established. What am I not understanding?

Thanks,

Jeff
shipfreejewelry.com

CS-Cart version 2.0.11

• ogia
  • Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:59 PM #47

I am confused by your last message. An availability date? From what I gathered, you are selecting from products currently in inventory. The availability of the product should be established. What am I not understanding?

Nope - I'm referring to the time of day that the deal shows up on the site... when the customer can expect to find a new deal.

For example... woot.com - new deals show up at midnight - perfect for the younger crowd who will already be up late... the baby related ones release their deals in the morning hours. Kidsteals.com is 9 a.m. MST. My customers work during the day so setting a deal up to be released at midnight or in the morning will just frustrate them. I need to have it hit the site when they can be online to jump on it. Mine would ideally be something like 7 p.m.

I'm assuming that for this addon, the deal will become active at midnight on the date selected for that product. An option needs to be added to either globally set the time that deals will become active or a time of day can be set along with the date for each deal.

• brandonvd
  • is Super Awesome
  • Members
  • 2633 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:37 PM #48

I don't really see why the time matters. The point of a daily deal is that it runs all day. It shouldn't really matter if your customer views your site at 5 am or 11 pm, the daily deal is still there unless you manually take it down.

What you are talking about is more like an hourly deal. Basically you want to set it up to have a deal from one time of day to another. That's cool, but I don't get why it matters.

I am sure that CS-Cart can add this, but I am very willing to bet that it will cost more money. If we keep adding features upon features and adding up the cost of this addon we'll never get it developed.

I still don't know if you all want to have the addon the way CS-Cart described it with a day of week option for $760.00 or if you want to make it a date option at $840.00.

Personally I would like to just keep the $760.00 option so that we can get this developed sooner. The options that Ogia wants don't do anything for me.

It's your guys' call. Let me know.

By the way I donated $125.00 this morning.

Brandon

• jobosales
  • Members
  • 3114 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:47 PM #49

I still don't know if you all want to have the addon the way CS-Cart described it with a day of week option for $760.00 or if you want to make it a date option at $840.00.

I still do not understand why there would be any additional charge for the date (rather than day) handling - promotions already allow for multi-date availability periods.

Bob
CS-Cart 2.0.14 (testing)

• ogia
  • Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:49 PM #50

If people are using this addon for a store like option #2, time of day the deal is released is extremely important. It's part of the buzz. Inventory is limited and customers have to hit the store soon after the deal is posted to get it or it will sell out.

Since I have that type of site, it was one of the main things I need in the addon and was part of my initial requirements. Again, if I'm the only one who wants this, I'll happily pay for it. I can't use this addon without the features I'm requesting. I'm sure more people will come along later that are going to want these exact features because it's hard to find other carts that will do this.

• ogia
  • Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:51 PM #51

To clarify, it's the time of day that the deal shows up on the site, not a time range. It would be the same time every day.

• brandonvd
  • is Super Awesome
  • Members
  • 2633 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:59 PM #52

Bob,

I don't know why there is a difference in price. I'm going to ask them why today, but I won't hear anything back until Monday. We'll see, it doesn't make any sense to me either.

Ogia,

I'll ask CS-Cart about the time thing today. I would think that as long as it isn't a time range and just one time I don't know why it would matter. I would think that they could set it up so that you can change a variable or something and change the time the deal is activated.

With both things I am sure that I won't hear back until Monday, but as soon as I hear something I'll let you know.

Brandon

• shipweb
  • Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:16 PM #53

Ogia

Your time will be established by your server settings. We shouldn't have to pay extra for a time setting. If you set your server settings through the backend, the time will countdown to that.

To add:

the countdown clock that I have on my site can be altered through the backend.

I hope that I am making sense here.
shipfreejewelry.com

CS-Cart version 2.0.11

• ogia
  • Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:20 PM #54

Ogia

Your time will be established by your server settings. We shouldn't have to pay extra for a time setting. If you set your server settings through the backend, the time will countdown to that.

To add:

the countdown clock that I have on my site can be altered through the backend.

I hope that I am making sense here.

but if I change the server time so that 'midnight' is at 7 p.m., for instance, wouldn't that throw off the rest of my time/date settings? Orders would have the incorrect time/date tied to them wouldn't they? Or are you thinking of a different server setting that I'm not aware of?

• shipweb
  • Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:30 PM #55

You are right, you would just have to sacrifice time adjustments on your part. The deal of the day should attract people to visit your site. If you have loyal customers staying up till midnight to see the new offer, why would you be against that? It's all a marketing ploy. If you change it at midnight, you increase site visits during that time. You also create the purpose of the deal of the day, anxious anticipation. If you market it correctly, you create consumer behavior.

Also, not everyone lives in your timezone. That's a huge factor to consider.
shipfreejewelry.com

CS-Cart version 2.0.11

• snorocket
  • Forum Janitor
  • Members
  • 2519 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:52 PM #56

sno - can you confirm how much has been donated for this addon so far?

We have $400 so far, we can always develop this addon in phases. Pay for phase 1 first then pay for phase 2 as more donations come in. It's basically how we've always gotten the mod club addons done. We basically need another $400+ if we're going to get this coded with all the features everyone needs/wants - Sno
SNOROCKET.COM, Now Accepting PRE-ORDERS:
Customer Service (Helpdesk) Addon for CS-Cart v4.3.1
Quote and Invoicing Addon for CS-Cart v4.3.1

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:57 PM #57

Count me in, I'll grab the funds in the next week.
I've moved on from CS-Cart to WooC******** - If you need anything I can be of little help.

• ogia
  • Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:27 PM #58

I attached a screen shot from OpenCart's implementation of a similar feature. They added a "Specials" tab to the product. Products on special are displayed on a 'Special Offers' page.

Attached Files

• brandonvd
  • is Super Awesome
  • Members
  • 2633 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 03:34 PM #59

Ok, I got a response back from CS-Cart.

I asked:

Alexander,
Why would it cost more money to have the date picker instead of the day of week? This makes no sense to me or other people on the forum that are donating to this. Could you please explain the additional cost?
With using the date picker instead of the day of week this addon should cost $760.00.

Alexander responded with:

The ability to use the date picker instead of the "day of week" selector is estimated at a higher rate because it will require more complicated template changes and script calculations. Besides the ability to use both selectors will require additional development time.

I also asked:

Also I had a request by Ogia to have the option to choose the time when the deal starts. So instead of just starting at midnight, possibly being able to have it start at 7:00 am or what ever time we choose.
Will there be a variable that can be changed in the code to make this happen or would this be yet another additional charge?

In this case we will create an additional variable for time and change scripts so that daily promotions will work not only on selected dates.
This feature will add extra complicity to the modification and therefore the total project cost will be higher.
The feature of such complexity will cost extra USD 60.

I also said:

We are hoping to get the funds collected and to you next week, but we are really hoping to get this addon developed for $760.00.

We have analyzed the possibility of implementing such a modification and provided you with a minimal estimate of the amount of work that must be involved.
The ""Daily deal" promotion" modification described in message #252313 plus two additions mentioned in the same message will cost USD 760. All other features will require extra development time and therefore should be paid separately.

Sno emailed me yesterday and said that we have $400.00 right now. I know Jesse mentioned that he would donate to this. If need be I can donate another $60.00, but I would really rather not unless I have too.

So if we stay with the day picker the cost is still $760.00. If we go to the date picker the cost goes up to $840.00. If we have $400.00 right now we need at least another $360.00. Like I said, if I have to I'll pitch in another $60.00 so that mean that you guys need to come up with the other $300.00 - $380.00 depending on if the day of week is fine or if you want the date picker.

How much are you looking to donate Jesse?

What are the rest of you willing to donate?

This thread has had 646 views so far, so for all the rest of you that must be at least interested in this addon please go and donate to:

http://www.snorocket...eals-addon.html

I also asked about the "ideas" thing. Honestly, what a crock of ****. I posted the response over at:

http://forum.cs-cart...ead.php?t=15880

Basically, CS-Cart got sick of getting emails and stuff about features so now they have the ideas thing so that they don't have to deal with us. There is no plan to have anything that gets x amount of votes gets developed or anything.

So basically, don't plan on this getting added to CS-Cart anytime soon.

Anyways, we need some more cash. Let me know what you guys think.

Brandon

• shipweb
  • Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:52 PM #60

Great DD Brandon,

I'm already in. I am willing to donate more.

SNO,

Who has made donations so far?

We could just get together with the people who have donated already and come up with a plan. If we have people interested after the modification is programmed, can we set up a cost that allows them to gain access to the code? Once people pay for the code, the original supporters can ultimately split the donations to recover initial investments.

Once we have this mod working on our sites, it is much easier to promote its effectiveness and purpose.

Let me know what everyone thinks,

Jeff
shipfreejewelry.com

CS-Cart version 2.0.11