• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

X-Cart Vs CS-Cart Rate Topic   - - - - -

• jobosales
  • Members
  • 3114 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:07 PM #21

The skins should be in /var/skins_repository. You can download the fill 2.0.12 package in the file area of the helpdesk:
helpdesk.cs-cart.com

The easiest way to check your version is by going to YOURDOMAIN/?version

Bob
CS-Cart 2.0.14 (testing)

• indy0077
  • Banned
  • 1431 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:12 PM #22

Ok, I am offically member of the forum now.

Thanks for clarifying the permission setting indy.

In admin I can only see 15 skins and my download is definitely 2.0.12 which I have just checked also.

1. Can you tell me what folder/directory the skins files are meant to be located in. I can check that to confirm.

2. If I don't have all the skins for whatever reason, can I download from the CS-Cart site somewhere?

3. Is there somwehere in the admin I can check for sure that my install is 2.0.12(like a version no to check somwhere within the application?

1) /var/skins_repository/ *** I checked it, they are exact 40 skins ***

2) should be in the regulary csc zip package (cscart_v2.0.12.zip)

3) http://www.yoursite.xxx/?version or in the root in the changelog.txt file
CS-Cart Professional €160.00 | CS-Cart Multi-Vendor €625.00 | CS-Cart Hosting | SSL Certificates
CS-Cart Optimized Servers *** USA & UK VPS Servers

• sellon
  • Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:31 PM #23

Thanks guys.

Yes, I can see the remain on my PC folder under var/skins_repository/** but they are not all copied across to my server folder for some reason. That expalins that problem.

Am I ok to just ftp only that folder without breaking anything?

• indy0077
  • Banned
  • 1431 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:45 PM #24

Thanks guys.

Yes, I can see the remain on my PC folder under var/skins_repository/** but they are not all copied across to my server folder for some reason. That expalins that problem.

Am I ok to just ftp only that folder without breaking anything?

Yes, no problem.
CS-Cart Professional €160.00 | CS-Cart Multi-Vendor €625.00 | CS-Cart Hosting | SSL Certificates

• sellon
  • Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:01 PM #25

Fantastic response time.

I did also open a ticket with helpdesk and will wait to see what response time I get as part of my trial.

But, I can't complain if the forum is working together and responding quickly..!

Thank you

• indy0077
  • Banned
  • 1431 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:32 PM #26

Fantastic response time.

I did also open a ticket with helpdesk and will wait to see what response time I get as part of my trial.

But, I can't complain if the forum is working together and responding quickly..!

Thank you

I think they do work from 10am-6pm GMT+3

• icenews
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:27 AM #27

Hi

I have looked at many carts, and I have also reviewed X-Cart, I recall it being incomplete.

CS-Cart seems to answer most of my demands, although it is lacking in some areas. However, they are nearly coming out with an updated release almost every month. Plus, you can ask them to customize somethings for you too.

In my opinion, You're better off with cs-cart, unless x-cart has something you desparately need, but I doubt this too.

Thanks
Walt

-----

I am new and looking at shopping cart for my small business.

I've come across CS-Cart after looking at Interspire & Zencart. Have to say CS-Cart looks & feels much easier to use as a newbie.

However, I have come across X-Cart in my trial & elimination process and I am about to download and trial X-Cart.

Before I spend too much time down this track, I would be interested to hear from this forum how X-Cart compare with CS-Cart.

Looking at the demo, it looks very similar but how us support and product stability etc?

• sellon
  • Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:29 PM #28

I have 2 issues/problems I see with CS-Cart and I thought I will place them here and see if there are any solutions/suggestions:

1a. The issue of invalid or failed order notification is going to be a pain if I am going to be receiving 50+ orders per day. I don't have the time to do houskeeping of every time a order has failed and the system spits out an order confirmation & an invoice..!

1b. So, if I keep failing or don't make connection to say paypal or eway, it keeps spitting out orders, BUT doesn't actually say on the order or invoice that the transaction failed or is incomplete but rather goes on to generate another order evertime I go back to shipping/payment(step 2)..!!strange..

Is there a fix to this problem or a workaround.??

I know one suggestion was to turn notification to customer 'on or 'off' from a customer management point of view so they don't get confused and annoyed and end up going elsewhere for shopping, and that really is not a solution for the back end anyway.

2. At the end of the order process there should be a friendly message display such as :

"You have chosen the cash on delivery method.

Your order will be dispatched shortly.

For any questions or for further information, please contact our customer support team."

- Can this be done , if so, how?

• jobosales
  • Members
  • 3114 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:20 PM #29

Of course it can be done - you just need to modify the script to suit your needs. As I mentioned in the other thread, the problem is supposedly being addressed by the developers but who knows when the solution will arrive.

As far as the backend is concerned, it is far easier to manage there since you can select orders by order status in the 'View orders' tab.

Honestly, given the importance you have given these issues, I would strongly suggest you find another cart which better suits your needs,

Bob
CS-Cart 2.0.14 (testing)

• indy0077
  • Banned
  • 1431 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:41 PM #30

Anyway for the price of CS-Cart you will get an ecommerce solution which costs by other companies xx times more and I don't think when you would post exactly these two "issues" by an another ecommerce developer company in their forum (if any) or support, that they will make the "fix" straight away just because you think it's an "issue".

I would recommend to try a few other solutions and you will see which one is the best for you.

• Struck
  • Teetering on Genious
  • Members
  • 2502 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 12:26 AM #31

I would recommend to try a few other solutions and you will see which one is the best for you.

That's what it is all about!

Narrow it down to a few that appear to have the majority of the features "You" need. Download & install the trial versions, setup a few of your products and test, test, test before making your final desicion & running with it.

And, if you are looking at a cart of which a downloadable demo is not offered, say see ya later, you absolutely must install & test it in order to find any hidden quirks.
Cooking with Gas on Version 4.1.2 (But proceeding with caution....)

• sellon
  • Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 12:28 AM #32

Thanks for the comments and feedback.

Don't get me wrong, as I've said before , what I've seen and tried so far in CS-Cart is very good, easy to use and is a very good solution overall. I am just throwing some of my frustration here I guess after some late nights..!!

However, there is this one area which I need to get my head around and perhaps see how the business processes will work in conjunction with the cart.

If the ordering process works the way it does, I may need to see how we will make it work with our accounting procedures, until CS-Cart developers treat this as a priority.

Alternatively, I could make some changes to the code myself or by hiring some programming help and do what I want to make the system do..! a costly option indeed but a possibility...thats for me to decide as I proceed with my evaluation.

I am hoping I can hear from other contributors(business owners..like Struck!) on this forum to see how they enable the cart order processes with their business processes.

Thanks Struck for an insight into how you use quickbook to enable your ordering process.

• Struck
  • Teetering on Genious
  • Members
  • 2502 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 12:47 AM #33

Thanks Struck for an insight into how you use quickbook to enable your ordering process.

Your welcome, it's casual, glad to help when possible. ;)

Only other thing you need to know is how to quickly get your online orders, hopefully hundreds per day into Quickbooks, Quickbooks Premier, Enterprise, etc.

The two major contenders for this automation are ECC by Webgility and T-Hub by Atandra.

I have used them both over the years and they both have strengths & weeknesses, again a situation where you must install & fully test each one before committing!

Our current setup:
CS-Cart>Ecc Webgility>Quickbooks Premier>Shiprush for Fedex (Multi-user)

• sellon
  • Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 12:53 AM #34

Thanks again Struck, that is useful stuff. Good point.

By the way, I am based in Australia and we use MYOB for our accounting system here.

I am sure the 2 automation applications you've mentioned will work with MYOB also. I will check that out.

• Struck
  • Teetering on Genious
  • Members
  • 2502 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 12:58 AM #35

I am sure the 2 automation applications you've mentioned will work with MYOB also.

For your sake I hope you are correct, however, past experience tells me that 95% of all integration developers choose to focus their efforts on Quickbooks! Reason is simple so I will not insult your intelligence by explaining to you the reason why! ;)

PS: Has to do with market share & return on their investments. ;)

• indy0077
  • Banned
  • 1431 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 02:36 AM #36

... plus two important CS-Cart features:

1) more than 30 free Addons (take a look at X-Cart Addon site http://www.x-cart.co...art_addons.html)

2) CS-Cart is one of few ecommerce standalone solution offering "downloadable" (digital) products

• sellon
  • Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 02:55 AM #37

... plus two important CS-Cart features:

1) more than 30 free Addons (take a look at X-Cart Addon site http://www.x-cart.co...art_addons.html)

2) CS-Cart is one of few ecommerce standalone solution offering "downloadable" (digital) products

Indy, I am now 97% convinced CS-Cart is better than X-Cart and appreciate your assistance and comments. No need for any more hard sell.I am sold & convinced..!!

Just need to sort out the loose ends and how I hook on my accounting process to ordering process is one of them.

The more threads I read up on duplicate orders and failed order and the way CS-Cart works and the more I test & test & test ..the more I think this is a nightmare..! How can a cart system go this far and not fix this issue.?

By the way, have you got any comments on Prestashop and Opencart in comparision to CS-Cart?

• sellon
  • Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:18 AM #38

I see this as a decision maker for me and would love to use CS-Cart if only this issue could be addressed sooner by the developers.

I have submitted a bug tracker issue, please contribute for some action and to prioirtise this duplicate order and invoicing issue during the order process:

http://forum.cs-cart...ew&vbug_id=1732

• btrials
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 06:25 AM #39

You know what's funny, there's a popular site that was designed with X-Cart and after five years, the site is still operating under the same skin & format. It's a turn off really...they're actually a competitor of my business while CS-Cart has helped tremendously to grow ;)

• Guest_Unregistered_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:14 AM #40

You know what's funny, there's a popular site that was designed with X-Cart and after five years, the site is still operating under the same skin & format. It's a turn off really...they're actually a competitor of my business while CS-Cart has helped tremendously to grow ;)

In most areas of eCommerce there is no such things as a competitor per se. The moment one starts worrying about competitors per se is the moment one has lost focus. I'm not a big fan of X-Cart but its established. Knocking at it is like knocking Miva Merchant which has like 50,000 established storefronts.

If your business picks up that's great, dont attribute that to customers thinking your shopping cart is better than their shopping cart. Your policies might be better, customers may have a bad experience elsewhere etc. The only real impactor a cart has is getting good ranking in search engines. In other words, if a cart makes people find you better this is good. At the sametime, dont expect that to always last. I've watched Google, MSN, I know how Yahoo operates as I have worked with them. If paid placement wants in, or exists and complains they can push your site down in ranking, keep it there and not a damned thing can be done about it.

We had a site once with over 700 pages of products which 80% ranked in first and second page searches at all engines. We used Actinic Catalog, very nice at least in its day. Then in a period of less than 90 days every single page in every single search engine was pushed down to pages 10+. Nothing to do with other shopping carts, others SEO on and on. A simple paid placement merchant complained and that as they say was that.

Never ever ever ever rely on search engines to be your mainstay of traffic as you are almost guaranteed that sooner or later unless your in a paid placement program you will get pushed down.

Merchants think search engines are the best and sometimes only way to get traffic. Thats completely incorrect.

While I tend like attractive storefronts many folks dont. Amazon and eBay seldom change formats and for good reason.