• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

CS-Cart Version 1.3.4 released! Rate Topic   - - - - -

Posted 06 December 2006 - 10:19 PM #101

I did exactly that...

Uploaded files over the top, logged into phpMyAdmin and run the sql queries.
Store is working fine ( I hope), as I hadnt changed really changed much in the php files.

I believe the store manager would have EXACTLY the same problem (re:SQLcc) since SQL doesn't care who gives details, store manager or me.

As for the process of updating. well from what I can see CSCart developers are expecting to be (without prejustice) catering for idiots when it comes to the upgrade process. Maybe both should be available?
I've moved on from CS-Cart to WooC******** - If you need anything I can be of little help.

• SWS
  • Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 12:12 AM #102

As for the process of updating. well from what I can see CSCart developers are expecting to be (without prejustice) catering for idiots when it comes to the upgrade process. Maybe both should be available?

I couldnt agree more...

Altough I have upgraded now, quite painlessly... I dont have thousands of products in my store yet or complete re-write of the skins so I took a chance. ( obviously backed up first.. Twice )

It would have been a different story if my site was live and full of products !

Admittedly, I like the sound of what the store manager can do, but im yet to see it do anything, CS have read my ticket regarding the problem, now I just need to wait and see.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

• zeke
  • Megamind
  • Administrators
  • 472 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 05:28 PM #103

Why not just keep the upgrade process simple by just uploading and overwrighting existing scripts then processing the sql queries?

This way all your modifications will be lost.

4all:

I failed to reproduce the most problems with store manger that were posted to forums. I've upgraded about 10 client stores myself, every store - on real sever, and again - no problems.

But they're exist.

There is such Russian saying: "We tried our best, you know the rest". :(

P.S. hm... need try to upgrade something using dialup connection...

• SWS
  • Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:09 PM #104

There is such Russian saying: "We tried our best, you know the rest". :(

Hi Zeke

Im not sure that comment will install any confidence in both current customers and prospective customers.

Ive tried with DIRECTORIES_PER_PASS set to as low as 1
Im using an 8mbit broadband connection (running at approx 7.5)
I have my own high spec dedicated server so I dont understand why it wont work....

Being a software developer, if my system crashed and I said... "I tried my best..." do you think I would deserve any customers ?

I know its not crashing but its certainly giving an error message back, surely you can figure out why this error is being displayed ?

Luckily I was only upgrading from 1.3.4 to sp2 and didnt modify the php files, only the skins so I never lost anything when I over-wrote the files.

Theres a LOT of customers, if not all, who are unable to get the store manager to work.

Would you mind posting the required system spec, or at least yours since its always successful ?

I have 8 PC's and 4 laptops and store manager stops at 40% of backing up on each and every one of them, Your tech guy said he managed to back up with my ftp details I provided...

This tells me, its not my computers and its not my server !!

This sounds like more of an elaborate scheme to make some quick money !
Please prove me wrong ! I love CS-Cart and support has been great but anyway, Ive written enough for 1 night !
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

• snorocket
  • Forum Janitor
  • Members
  • 2519 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:46 PM #105

all your modifications will be lost

template modifications are destroyed 99% of the time during upgrades. Nevertheless I'm glad to see there are now files available to upload and over-right from the "latest" folder so I hope it stays this way as an alternative, Thanks for all the hard work, the mod master can fix anything and CS ROCKS !!!
SNOROCKET.COM, Now Accepting PRE-ORDERS:
Customer Service (Helpdesk) Addon for CS-Cart v4.3.1
Quote and Invoicing Addon for CS-Cart v4.3.1

• TonyK
  • Members
  • 1686 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:00 PM #106

I'd really like to see a "Changed Only" package available. Similar to PHPBB, their upgrades only have the files that have changed from the previous version. So you may get 10-15 files in the zip rather than the whole product again.

Talk about easy to upgrade then. You just have to compare the 15 files and your done.

You can see what I mean here:
http://www.phpbb.com...oads.php#latest
Pimpin' skins since v1.0

• tomnibus
  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:13 PM #107

I can't believe the standard response is "I tried my best..." sheez.

I'm going to try this damn things again, but I'm quite put out by this whole thing.

I haven't made modifications to the code, but I have custom skins and I want to be able to compare what is different easily so I can know what needs to be updated. Upgrade manager is what I want to use.

Otherwise, I'm talking several hours of work that I don't have the time to do nor do my clients have the money to pay me.
I just THINK I know what I'm doing.

• SWS
  • Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:16 PM #108

I'd really like to see a "Changed Only" package available. Similar to PHPBB, their upgrades only have the files that have changed from the previous version. So you may get 10-15 files in the zip rather than the whole product again.

Talk about easy to upgrade then. You just have to compare the 15 files and your done.

You can see what I mean here:
http://www.phpbb.com...oads.php#latest

Vbulletin upgrades nicely too.

Its online driven and stores your templates in a backup area, you can then go in and instantly see which files have changed and compare the code between the two. With easy to see highlighted changes.

No need for platform specific software !

The same goes for Kayako E-Support, again online driven with file comparison after the upgrade...

I dont see the point of a windows program to perform updates / upgrades, what if our office run on apple mac's only ?
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

• tomnibus
  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:18 PM #109

My error that said that it couldn't read the directory... I needed to ensure that on the server the directory in which the files are stored was of mode: 755. ON my server, for security reasons, they're set to 701

Just in case anyone else has the problem.

• TonyK
  • Members
  • 1686 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:39 PM #110

Alternative method, that I use using windows....(sorry mac guys)

I take a copy of my /skin_name/ folder and copy it into some new directory called "conversion" or whatever. call it "default_blue_old"

I then copy the same skin folder from the latest sp and call it "default_blue_new".

I then downloaded winmerge (http://winmerge.org/)

and then within winmerge you can compare 2 directories.

So i tell it to compare "default_blue_old" vs "default_blue_new" and go thru the file changes there.

You can save the changes in which ever folder you want, i prefer to save all my changes into the new folder.

once done upload the new skin folder, upgrade the database, and run the post install.php file.

and all is well.

I recommend doing all this on a TEST server first. before applying changes to a LIVE STORE.
Pimpin' skins since v1.0

• tomnibus
  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:42 PM #111

You can certainly do file comparisons on the Mac with Pepper, TextWranger (free) and I believe Dream Weaver will do it. There is also the linux utiilty 'diff' that will also run. So, there is a Mac solution.

• TonyK
  • Members
  • 1686 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:50 PM #112

Right, my method also assumes only modifications to the Skins (tpls) and not any php changes.
Pimpin' skins since v1.0

• SWS
  • Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:32 PM #113

Best way to go I think.

At least with a manual upgrade you have control !

I may have sounded a little harsh above, was having one of those moments when really I have nothing to complain about since I have managed a manual upgrade.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:35 PM #114

I may have sounded a little harsh above, was having one of those moments when really I have nothing to complain about since I have managed a manual upgrade.

I would prefer that it be said then not said at all.
I'm getting more frustrated by the week for the same reason.
With good intentions I understand however I doubt my concerns are being considered as a customer.
I've moved on from CS-Cart to WooC******** - If you need anything I can be of little help.

• jobosales
  • Members
  • 3114 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:45 PM #115

... however I doubt my concerns are being considered as a customer.

This is where X-Cart went astray. Let's hope this pans out differently.

Bob
CS-Cart 2.0.14 (testing)

• SWS
  • Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:27 AM #116

This is where X-Cart went astray. Let's hope this pans out differently.

Bob

Isnt X-Cart and CS-Cart made by the same company under different cloaks ?
Im sure I read this somewhere ??
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Posted 08 December 2006 - 01:23 PM #117

Isnt X-Cart and CS-Cart made by the same company under different cloaks ?

The developers that were once employed by X-cart, decided to do their own thing, hence CS-CART

• zeke
  • Megamind
  • Administrators
  • 472 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 01:35 PM #118

This sounds like more of an elaborate scheme to make some quick money !
Please prove me wrong

Of course, not! There is no sense in developing a program during several months only for the purpose of charging fees under the pretext of nonoperability. I know that there were some problems with php-based upgrade until version 1.3.4. - that is the reason for creating Store manager.

I made several upgrades by myself free of charge in order to demonstrate Store manager operation.

We do our best to resolve the problems with Store manager. I have just added a new thread. Please post there all that concerns Store manager. Please provide us with screenshots and as much information as possible.

We exert every effort to make Store manager work on all possible system configurations.

Thank you,

• snorocket
  • Forum Janitor
  • Members
  • 2519 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 01:50 PM #119

Isnt X-CRAP and CS-Cart made by the same company under different cloaks ?

I've been offended because this is the most insulting post I have ever read, X-CRAP is exactly that...CRAP and is in no way shape or form affiliated with CS. Store Manager is a new piece of software way ahead of the competition so give it time to mature, nothing works perfect the first time around. Also, if you have highly modified templates and php files ect...I hate to break the news to you guys but you'll always have a few tweeks here and there because of the modifications ect...

No! No! I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!

Only I didn't say "Fudge." I said THE word, the big one, the queen-mother of dirty words, the "F-dash-dash-dash" word!

It was all over - I was dead. What would it be? The guillotine? Hanging? The chair? The rack? The Chinese water torture? Hmmph. Mere child's play compared to what surely awaited me.

SNOROCKET.COM, Now Accepting PRE-ORDERS:
Customer Service (Helpdesk) Addon for CS-Cart v4.3.1
Quote and Invoicing Addon for CS-Cart v4.3.1

• tomnibus
  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:01 PM #120

Zeke, I would like to say my two problems got handled one was a problem with Upgrade Manager, another was a problem with my system.

The problem with upgrade manager is that I had a .htaccess file in my root directory and it balked at that saying it couldn't copy it. So, there is a problem with the upgrade application there.

My other problem was the directory permissions. Don't know why it backed up before without a problem but after I set them right, it worked fine.

After correcting these two issues, the upgrade went very well for me. I am disappointed that it was left up to me to figure out how to fix the problems I had but I'm happy that the upgrade, once it started, was painless.