Should I remove the gray background

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding this eshop

I’m not worried about feedback on how the website looks…

Anyways. Based on what another forum member has said. Do you think I should remove the gray background?. If I have more than 60% say YES then i’m going to remove it haha.

I just can’t decide. If you think I should change it to another colour then can you please let me know :smiley:

Thanks

If your client really does want the grey, try a darker grey or running the background image from dark to light rather than light to dark.

Have a look at this site for colour combinations - [url]http://www.colorcombos.com/[/url]. Using Firebug, I played around a bit with your site and colour combinations and it looks heaps better if you go for a dark colour as the background colour. Even if your customer still wants grey, what about a darker grey, or even what about using the red. With the colours you have used, a darker background makes the page look more “alive”.

The beauty of Firebug is that you can see what the changes look like without actually making the changes and it would be possible, if you have your customer there with you, to show him different options and so he can then see how the site would look.

I haven’t voted on your poll as I don’t think you should “remove” the grey background. I think you should change it completely.

Good luck.

Hey Lyn. Thanks for your reply.

The customer isn’t worried about the grey. He just said he wanted to have th red, yellow and blue on the main part of the page. I can do whatever I like with the background now.

I was going to put ‘change the colour’ as an option on the poll earlier but I couldn’t seem to edit it. I actually realised this about 5 seconds after posting it haha. Silly me.

So far it looks like gray is in favour. We shall see but I do think a change could be on the cards.

Thanks

Have you tried a few options with Firebug? I was surprised the difference that different colours made with the whole look of the site.

Hey,

Yeah someone on this forum recommended firebug a little while back. It’s helped soooooooo much, especially with editing the CSS files.

What colour did you have in mind?. I could give it a try,

Thanks

Have a look at colour combinations on - [url]http://www.colorcombos.com/[/url] and try a few of those. I only tried dark grey and red but the site looked better (I thought) with both of those so really any darkish colour I think would give it a lift.

i’ve decided I’m going to try a few diff colours and take screenshots.

Then I can show the client and ask him which one he prefers. Job done.

I’ve got an extra day to tidy up bits and bobs now, and then have a final meeting with him on Monday.

Lyn’s recommendation for colorcombo’s is a good one. I use it all the time.

I would use a darker gray because your site looks washed out and it needs the darker gray to make the content pop out. You could go for a #333333, #444444 or #666666. Personally I would pick up on the yellow and use #003366 to compliment the blue or try #4382c0 which is the color of your menu bar. That might introduce a whole new design concept as it would separate the header from the body.

[QUOTE] Personally I would pick up on the yellow and use #003366 to compliment the blue or try #4382c0 which is the color of your menu bar[/QUOTE]

When you say this do you mean change the blue colour to one of them html colours?. I wasn’t quite sure if you was meaning the blue or the yellow. If you mean the yellow then I can’t really change it as it’s what he wants :frowning: but I can change the tone of the blue if that’s what you mean. cheers

I will also try a different gray. I suppose I should keep the fade effect on the background but just a darker colour?.

Thanks very much for the advice.

As a computer engineer, my color matching part of the brain is not very functional. I rely on [url]http://www.hlrnet.com/colormatch/index.php[/url] quite a bit to find colors that go with each other.

Type in the color you want to use and it will find the best colors that go with it.

I’m also a computer engineer (and software programmer here and there).

No wonder I don’t understand colours hahaha :smiley:

[quote name=‘jbenitos’]I suppose I should keep the fade effect on the background but just a darker colour?.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think there’s any need to keep the fade effect unless you want to.

yeah I do like the fade effect :smiley:

[quote name=‘jbenitos’]When you say this do you mean change the blue colour to one of them html colours?. I wasn’t quite sure if you was meaning the blue or the yellow. If you mean the yellow then I can’t really change it as it’s what he wants :frowning: but I can change the tone of the blue if that’s what you mean. cheers

I will also try a different gray. I suppose I should keep the fade effect on the background but just a darker colour?.

Thanks very much for the advice.[/QUOTE]

No, change the gray.

I would get rid of the fade effect altogether and just go for a darker background - 003366 looks good.

Before you go too much further, I would increase the size of your thumbnails and I don’t know what is happening with your larger images but it is pointless having an image the same size as your thumbnail opening with just heaps of white space around it. The whole idea of a larger image is so people can see more detail and the actual picture needs to be larger.

You need to upload your images at a larger size. I make all my large images 340px x 340px and the thumbnails are 120px x 120px. The thumbnails on my description page are 150px x 150px. My thumbnails are automatically generated when I upload the main image.

Now don’t ask me how to change the thumbnail size in version 2 as I use 1.3.5 but I’m sure it is possible and the knowledgebase should tell you how to do this.

I also noticed you have different fonts in the description pages. Why not just leave it with the CS-Cart default rather than changing each description with tags and having some of them look different.

Just some constructive criticism - please don’t take it the wrong way. I just wish someone had pointed out to me that it was possible to change the thumbnail size before I had uploaded around 30,000 photos. It took a while to change them but I did manage to do it by re-importing my product list. It would be much easier for you to fix now than 20,000 products down the track.

Let us know what your customer decides about the background. If you do go for the 003366, maybe you could put a border around the main part of your site to separate the header from the background.

Hey,

I know what you mean about the larger pictures. I was just testing them out and they will be removed when given to the customer. The customer gave me the images and they was really small to start with (he said he didn’t have any bigger ones)…but I will leave that for him to sort out.

I suppose I will just inform the customer that he should upload a larger image. But it’s really down to him as i’m handing it over as a tool and he can do whatever he likes with it then.

Yeah I agree about using the default font. I shall make the customer aware of this. Saves a bit of hassle when adding new products as well. EDIT: I changed font to default on the ones I added, and uploaded a picture for ‘test’ product to show the customer how he can import a larger image so it looks better in preview.

I’m really not sure about background. I’m going to ask him when I see him tonight.

Thanks

EDIT: After checking the website at work it seem as if the delivery-truck.png banner on right hand side is not showing (Just see a white space). Does anyone know why this might be?..Hmm it seems fine everywhere else and no one on the forum has commented.

Update on the situation

-----------------------------

I went to visit the client today and he is happy with the background. So I guess it’s a done deal on the colours etc on the site now.

Nevermind. Thanks for everyone that gave me advice though and I will be sure to take it into consideration if/when I work with cs cart again.

[quote name=‘jbenitos’]Hey,

After checking the website at work it seem as if the delivery-truck.png banner on right hand side is not showing (Just see a white space). Does anyone know why this might be?..Hmm it seems fine everywhere else and no one on the forum has commented.[/QUOTE]

It’s showing fine in IE8 and Firefox.

Ya but i’ve changed it now :frowning:

I converted it to a JPEG image as the PNG was playing silly buggers with me.

I tested it at the clients house and at work and it was just showing a white space. I got home and tried it and could see the image…very weird…