• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

CS-Cart Vs. Competitors Rate Topic   - - - - -

• johnbol1
  • Never Re
  • Members
  • 4908 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:42 PM #21

If you are using a cart and need product options or variants, stay away from Presta, it has reals problems with options.
I was with it for a year, looks nice and slick etc but upgrade is a mare.
I have tried OSC, CRE B2B, Presta, and none are as good as CS for my requirements, But of course different store owners have different needs.

JOhn

Custom printed hi visibility clothing sale the UK's online hivis safety shop
v4.5.2

• Lee Li Pop
  • Members
  • 941 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 09:48 AM #22

Hello John,

If you are using a cart and need product options or variants, stay away from Presta, it has reals problems with options.

Could you explain in details please, especially which kind of products, with which kind of options.

Thank you to share your experience,

Lee Li Pop
If All Else Fails, Read The Instruction Manual! Knowledge Base 2.x + CS-Cart Instruction Manual

Hosted at Pair.com since 2000. Zero hacking attempts during first 11 years... And counting!

• pbannette
  • Members
  • 1036 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 01:20 PM #23

Lee Li Pop,
I looked at Prestashop at one time and ruled it out immediately due to the options, especially text options.
The main reason is that there was no way for the customer to edit options once added to the cart, at least in the version I saw. I don't usually look at the cart after this, unless I can find a mod to do it. This is my number one requirement. Most other features are found in all the other carts, ie product with options for size and color.
Also, there is no way to have max length and max rows specified. Don't see a way to add a description about the options and hints like in cs-cart.
The text fields were below the add to cart button, at least on the test that I did.
There are probably other weaknesses in global options and option exceptions.
Johnbol1 probably looked into it more than I.
In general, I think cs-cart has better option functions then most carts. Can always use some improvement, but has features in this particular area not found in most carts.
Bob

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:12 PM #24

I was never a fan of Prestashop either but they are working on a new version which has a lot of changes in it.

You can download a test version from their website. Not sure if it addresses any of the issues raised here though.

They have added a one page checkout, but I really dont like the layout of it.

The biggest problem with these free carts is that you need to rely on extra add on's to get all the functions you need.

Magneto is just such a nightmare to work with. I keep trying out every now and then and it is just terrible to work with.

The only free one that I thought looked promising was OpenCart but I haven't tried it in a while.

Hosted carts have their own strengths and weaknesses. Normally easier to set up and get operational quicker but limit you in terms of changes you can make to code and if your site is slow your stuffed.

They also tend to be expensive.

I think CS cart offers a heck of a lot for the price and has come on leaps and bounds
Take everything you like seriously, except yourselves. - Rudyard Kipling

• E.Qi.Librium
  • Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:30 PM #25

Couldn't agree more, I used to work with presta too but, aldo it is a very fast cart, it as many many problems within it's code, too many bugs in my opinion and upgrade it's near to impossible.
Besides Cs cart, wich I think it's the best one (not perfect also), I have a "thing" for Interspire, but haven't tried that one yet because it is very expensive to take the risk.
I am truely convinced that I'm going to stay with cs cart for ever and ever, like a happy couple ;)

• johnbol1
  • Never Re
  • Members
  • 4908 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:47 PM #26

Hello John,

Could you explain in details please, especially which kind of products, with which kind of options.

Thank you to share your experience,

Lee Li Pop

HI Lee Li,

one of the many quotes I was used to seeing when with presta..

"I have products available in 3 colours, 8 sizes, 16 other options available in each colour and all this coupled with another option gives a total number of variants, or combinations, of 9450 ! Result, the site crashes when I try to view the product and its impossible to modify the product options in the back office because that’s unavailable too. I didn’t have this problem on another site powered by Zen Cart. Does this mean Prestashop is only capable of administering a limited number of product options ? If that’s the case then so be it and I’d better move to another platform as the site has to be up and running by the beginning of next year."

But maybe problem has now been solved by this addon/mod
http://www.prestasho...teaxtarea_files

I may try again perhaps.?

JOhn

v4.5.2

• Lee Li Pop
  • Members
  • 941 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:47 AM #27

Hello All,

Thank you all for your comments. I am surprised that many people here knows and has already tested PrestaShop.

Well, I live in France, PrestaShop is a French project, I know some engineers of the core team, and some users close to them.

I do not know the 9450 combinations bug :-D

Seriously, John, what are you selling with so much combinations?

Custom hand made shoes for millipede?

Jacket with 9450 pockets?

Lottery tickets? :confused:

In fact, on the ground here in France, few people know CS-Cart, mainly because there are few English speakers in the population.

It's therefore natural that PrestaShop is so popular here is (perhaps) the only serious project of eCommerce in French.

By cons, like you, after testing Prestashop, I keep CS-Cart.

I could be wrong... Really? I think that Prestashop will become the osCommerce of the decade.

Here is a new (for me) shopping cart:

http://www.satchmoproject.com/

Warning! The demo is zero. Surf the sites proposed in the gallery!

Lee Li Pop
If All Else Fails, Read The Instruction Manual! Knowledge Base 2.x + CS-Cart Instruction Manual

Hosted at Pair.com since 2000. Zero hacking attempts during first 11 years... And counting!

• johnbol1
  • Never Re
  • Members
  • 4908 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 11:54 AM #28

I could be wrong... Really? I think that Prestashop will become the osCommerce of the decade.

Lee Li Pop

I Agree, just a little way to go.

:)

v4.5.2