• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

OSX Client required Rate Topic   - - - - -

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:28 PM #1

To the Development Team;

Kudos to you all for taking the Livehelp format further however you will find within the United States that far more organisation use OSX workstations, thus most cannot take advantage of the live help client at this time.

Kind regards,
Jesse-Lee Stringer
I've moved on from CS-Cart to WooC******** - If you need anything I can be of little help.

• jobosales
  • Members
  • 3114 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:38 PM #2

You beat me to it.

I am a bit surprised - I thought the idea was to provide a platform-agnostic solution. Judging from the forums, there are quite a few Mac users in the forums which should demonstrate the need for a Mac client.

Bob
CS-Cart 2.0.14 (testing)

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:47 PM #3

To be honest I thought Apple/OSX was a minority until I arrived here, should be a targeted system as the usergroup typically have a lot more money to spend on software.
I've moved on from CS-Cart to WooC******** - If you need anything I can be of little help.

• teksigns
  • Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:56 AM #4

I have been a network admin in the USA for 18 years . i have not seen many OSX workstations ... maybe 1 in 18 years ....

guess it must be your area .

• TonyK
  • Members
  • 1686 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:09 AM #5

they are growing market share.

The college I work at has over 400 mac stations. and at least 30% of the IT staff are using macs, including me.

Mostly because I can run Mac OSX, Linux, and Windows all using parallels and test everything I need to on my one machine.
Pimpin' skins since v1.0

• teksigns
  • Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:12 AM #6

they are growing market share.

The college I work at has over 400 mac stations. and at least 30% of the IT staff are using macs, including me.

Mostly because I can run Mac OSX, Linux, and Windows all using parallels and test everything I need to on my one machine.

yea i have to agree they are and always have been big in education areas.

• brandonvd
  • is Super Awesome
  • Members
  • 2633 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:19 AM #7

While Macs might be on the rise, my numbers are still pretty low who visit my site. I just checked and these are the percentages:

Windows - 87.14 %

Mac OS - 9.89 %

Linux - 1.74 %

Undefined - 1.23 %

Now this is just what the CS-Cart statistics say, but I would imagine that it would be close.

Brandon

• jobosales
  • Members
  • 3114 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:06 AM #8

The market share argument cannot explain why they provided a Linux client while overlooking Macs. Yes, Mac market share is dwarfed by Windows but it is also substantially larger than Linux market share - you can see that in OS market share surveys and in these very forums.

What is really surprising to me is that we would not even be having this discussion if they had just written a server-side client. It would also be easier to maintain than having separate platform-specifc applications.

Bob
CS-Cart 2.0.14 (testing)

• zeke
  • Megamind
  • Administrators
  • 472 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:42 AM #9

Live Help client is written using cross-platform QT library, so it'll be available for MacOS also. At this moment we do not have Apple computer to compile Live Help there. As we get it, MacOS client will be available.

• jobosales
  • Members
  • 3114 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:26 PM #10

Thanks for the encouraging news, zeke. Do you have any estimated timeframe for the Mac client?

Bob
CS-Cart 2.0.14 (testing)

• gugga7
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:55 PM #11

Great news!

When I started doing web design, I switched to Mac for obvious reasons. I don't know about other store owners, but I find Mac OS easier and reliable for web design, graphics, etc..

Is it hard to compile this for an iphone app. ? It's ideal for store owners who don't have a dedicated customer service person 24/7 to be able to use Live Chat on the go without having to be in front of a computer.

• Members
  • 509 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:13 PM #12

Has CSC made a beta of Live Help available? I don't see it in my FIles Area of Helpdesk.

• CutRiteFX
  • Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:14 PM #13

To be honest I thought Apple/OSX was a minority until I arrived here, should be a targeted system as the usergroup typically have a lot more money to spend on software.

I have a mac mini and LOVE IT. I have been a computer tech for many years. Love the way a Mac works over a PC. THEY JUST WORK.

If I could afford to change all my pc's to Mac I would.

As far as live help. I have been using Live Help Messenger. Works great for us.
Have it setup if live help is online it will show that we are online like attached image.
If there is no live help online it will not display anything.

If users keep seeing Live Help Offline they may be discouraged.

Attached Files

• jobosales
  • Members
  • 3114 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:16 PM #14

Has CSC made a beta of Live Help available? I don't see it in my FIles Area of Helpdesk.

See the blog for details:
http://blog.cs-cart....t-is-available/

Bob
CS-Cart 2.0.14 (testing)

• Members
  • 509 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 05:55 PM #15

As a Mac user, an OSX client would be nice - but not critical to our business as our customer support all use WIndows. Alternatively, I can see a mobile version of Live Help being much more useful to CSC small shop owners. Too bad QT is owned by Nokia, who won't port the framework to iPhone or Android. Could LH work well on a Symbian phone?