Poll: Affiliate links - Available or Banned?

Hi All,

I’ve been asked by a selected group of people why we allow affiliate links.

At the present moment CS-Cart themselves do not provide a list of acceptable practises on the forum so it would be ideal if we can (as a collective group) vote on whether we should allow affiliate urls throughout the board.

I need to be certain that a large majority are in favour of banning dishonest or unmarked affiliate links to further improve the validity of responses.

Feel free to vote, or post otherwise.

This vote is multiple choice to allow a relative skew towards what we wish to allow.

Kind Regards,

Jesse-Lee Stringer

[quote name=‘JesseLeeStringer’]Hi All,

At the present moment CS-Cart themselves do not provide a list of acceptable practises on the forum so it would be ideal if we can (as a collective group) vote on whether we should allow affiliate urls throughout the board.

I need to be certain that a large majority are in favour of banning dishonest or unmarked affiliate links to further improve the validity of responses.

This vote is multiple choice to allow a relative skew towards what we wish to allow.

Kind Regards,

Jesse-Lee Stringer[/quote]

Thanks Jesse :lol:

I’m member of several WM forums (paid or not paid) and must say I have never seen a affiliate link on their pages. For those people here like L** L* XY who don’t know what a affiliate program and affiliate link is:

[quote]Affiliate link

A link with a unique identifier of an affiliate, which is used to track sales.[/quote][quote]Affiliate program

A program that allows other companies or individuals to market a company’s products or services for a commission fee per item sold.[/quote]I don’t mind when you promote your site or a service to CS Cart Forum visitors. But in this forum I will not see links like PPC or PPA. In other words, it’s a forum spamming. And what is it?

[quote]Forum spam is the creating of messages that are advertisements, abusive, or otherwise unwanted on Internet forums.

Some of these links contain code to track the spambot’s identity if a sale goes through, when the spammer behind the spambot works on commission.

Spam posts may contain anything from a single link, to dozens of links. Text content is minimal, usually innocuous and unrelated to the forum’s topic.[/quote]Thanks.

[quote name=‘JesseLeeStringer’]Hi All,

Kind Regards,

Jesse-Lee Stringer[/QUOTE]

I wouldn’t want you or the other admins to waste valuable resources deleting affiliate links. I would like for the current rules/ways to stay the same.

Sorry then I must post here again, but the “LI LEE POP’s” affiliate links are thoughtless and dangerous for users of CS-Cart forum. I can really not understand what is the sense and reason to store so stuff on CS-Cart forum.

We get about 15-20 visitors to our site from this forum and we offer to them product and services to make CS-Cart better, safer or easier to use. We have affiliate links too and enought, then if you people really love these I can in my every post put 10 affiliate links. I don’t know if you will still love CS-Cart forum if everybody will do that.

Thanks.

Hello Indy,

I absolutely agree with you about affiliate links:

[quote name=‘indy0077’]

We have affiliate links[…]

We get about 15-20 visitors to our site from this forum[…][/QUOTE]

So, I follow your wishes and I blank my signature links.

Indy, you have to do the same now.
:wink:

Lee Li Pop

[quote name=‘Lee Li Pop’]Hello Indy,

I absolutely agree with you about affiliate links:

So, I follow your wishes and I blank my signature links.

Indy, you have to do the same now.
:wink:

Lee Li Pop[/quote]

You have to read my post properly and understand the point.

1. Links in my signature are links of my company
  2. These links point to our sites with CS-Cart services and products which can help others CS-Cart users

Your links help nobody here!

[COLOR=Red]AGAIN AND ONLY FOR YOU LI LEE POP:[/COLOR]

“These are not 3rd party affiliate links from Clickbank like yours”

I think all other people in this forum understand what it is, only you don’t.

BTW you said, you have a few web sites. Why don’t you promote your own sites like other forum members here?

Sorry, I can’t help you anymore. :?:

Indy,

One link to your web site is sufficient.

CS-Cart Reseller | SSL Certificates | Ecommerce Solution | CS-Cart Test Server | Free CS-Cart installation

IS RIDICULOUS.

It is obvious you are just trying to hit some key words for the search engine. Stop it.

[quote name=‘Triplets’]Indy,

One link to your web site is sufficient.

CS-Cart Reseller | SSL Certificates | Ecommerce Solution | CS-Cart Test Server | Free CS-Cart installation

IS RIDICULOUS.

It is obvious you are just trying to hit some key words for the search engine. Stop it.[/quote]

Which one?

If you have to have a signature, a simple

http://www.webdesign-creative.com

is sufficient and professional.

I personally feel you have been abusing these forums to advertise your services. I for one would never advertise my services on this forum. I come here to obtain help or to help others; not to drum up new business.

[quote name=‘Triplets’]If you have to have a signature, a simple

http://www.webdesign-creative.com

is sufficient and professional.

I personally feel you have been abusing these forums to advertise your services. I for one would never advertise my services on this forum. I come here to obtain help or to help others; not to drum up new business.[/quote]

Yes, thats your right.

… and right this one http://www.webdesign-creative.com is unprofessional.

[QUOTE]I for one would never advertise my services on this forum.[/QUOTE]… it’s my “personally” signature, not advertising

And so… it finally happened although it took a while…

Hello Indy,

You see, it’s easy to complain. It’s more difficult to do for yourself, what you ask for others.

Indy, blank your signature links.

You got for others, do it now for yourself.

Now.

Lee Li Pop

I thought the question was about affiliate links, not about links to personal websites or services.

Does it really matter? We all have a choice as to which posts we read, which links we click through on, which problems we answer, etc.

I’m quite happy with the way things are at the moment and I think the moderators and administrators have plenty to do without worrying about something that isn’t really affecting anyone. At least I haven’t come across any spam lately - now that really was annoying!

How about not turning this post into a slinging match and just sticking to the topic.

It is Christmas after all …:wink:

I have a very mixed opinion about this …

If someone outright asks for referrals, I see no reason why those answering their questions shouldn’t make something in return for providing the lead.

Same goes for SMALL referral information that might be beneficial to others such as a footnote in your signature. An example of this would be, for example, where you think you host is wonderful and want to let people know and turns out your host has a referral program for it’s customers. At the same time, such items should be limited to a basic click link and not some major banner advertising or anything.

Looking further at the other side of the coin, I don’t believe in overt advertising, spam, or drumming up topics specifically for no other purpose than to advertise (which I also consider spam). I don’t think any of these really have a place being posted in a forum community.

Moving away from “referral links” and on to advertising in general, I’d pretty much make the same comments.

I think that everyone should have ONLY one link to a site.

If several sites are owned then one link per site.

Max size ie [COLOR=“MediumTurquoise”]Jesse[/COLOR] and [COLOR=“MediumTurquoise”]Lyn[/COLOR] NOT [SIZE=“7”][COLOR=“Red”]Indy[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I think if somebody have an good tip and it is an affiliate link it is ok, if it helps anyone. But they should write it after the lin (Affiliatelink).

I think then everybody can decide if they take the affiliate link. For me it is ok, if they dont spam the forum, but if all spam with the links the forum, ban it!

I think affiliate links should be allowed as long as they are within your signature only.

[quote name=‘pbradish’]I think affiliate links should be allowed as long as they are within your signature only.[/quote]

Ironic that you posted that with your affiliate link in tow :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote name=‘JesseLeeStringer’]Ironic that you posted that with your affiliate link in tow :P[/quote]

Haha, I figured that I’d put something in there since my services are fully booked these days :). Honestly though, it’s something that I actually use on a daily basis so I don’t mind promoting it via sig. I would never post an affiliate link within an actual forum post - that’s when I think it get’s a little too spammy.

… or were they (affiliate links) voted as a no go? I do not log in often these days due to my schedule.