Enabling Seo causes 404 not found on some pages

why when i enable Seo . no matter what i select i get some catagories and pages

that look like this

http://www.buyshoponline.com/knives-multi-tools/steak-knives-1-2-3/discontinued-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-24-25-26-27-28-29-30-31-32-33-34-35-36-37-38-39-40-41-42-43-44-45-46-47-48-49-50-51-52-53-54-55-56-57-58-59-60-61-62-63-64-65-66-67-68-69-70-71-72-73-74-75-76-77-78-79-80-81-82-83-84/
```<br />
<br />
and they return 404 not found ....

May I ask… do you have a lot of categories/subcategories that have he same name? For example, does each brand of knife you sell have a subcategory that is ‘discontinued’? That seems to be why the long strings of numbers show up in SEO URLs.

I don’t know the long-term solution, but you could try renaming from ‘discontinued’ to ‘Discontinued (Brand)’ and see if the shorter SEO url solves the issue.

I am having the same problem. Anyone having ideas?

I’m also having an issue with this.

Since upgrding to 2.0.8 I lost some product pages to a 404.

I jsut add 5 new products to the site and when checking them to see if everything is ok, I ended up on a 404 page.

Any ideas?

Are you creating your categories and/or products by “cloning” an already existing product? If so, are you going to the Addon tab of the category and/or product to delete the cloned text, leave it blank and then save the new category/product? This will allow the SEO name to be saved without the numbers which are put in there when you save the new item from a cloned item.

I have cloned a number of items and always delete the SEO name from each one then save. All works just fine and there are no 404 pages if you do that.

Regards,

Stephanie

Testing 2.0.8 for transfer of non-CS-Cart store

I dont have any cloned products nor cloned any.

I did have the SEo fully functional untill upgrading to 2.0.10. After the upgrade some products ( not ALL) started to show up the 404.

Even creating a new product some times works some times dont.

For exemple.

I jsut finished creating this article:

[url]http://www.deporformance.com/porsche-1/boxter-96/farolins-led-preto-porsche-boxter.html[/url]

I get a damn 404.

uh guess what.

Went to the addons page checked the SEO add on and decided to change from:

category_name/[subcategory_name]/product_name.html

to

product_name.html

IT WORKS.

funny thing uh?

try to create a sitemap with GSiteCrawler. it only finds the normal pages like contact us, about us, discussion etc… none of the category and product pages can be found. just like google webmaster tool.

something must be wrong.

I have the same problem. Clean install of 2.0.11. When I first logged in as admin/admin and go to Addons and try to enable SEO I get an error saying mod_rewrite is not installed.

Did a uninstall/install and now it’s active. Created category and items. When we visit them in store view. It comes with page not found/error.

The .htaccess looks like:

DirectoryIndex index.html index.php

RewriteEngine on

Some hostings require RewriteBase to be uncommented

Example:

Your store url is [url]http://www.yourcompany.com/store/cart[/url]

So “RewriteBase” should be:

RewriteBase /store/cart

RewriteBase /

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !.(png|gif|ico|swf|jpe?g|js|css)$

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

RewriteRule . index.php?sef_rewrite=1 [L,QSA]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} ./catalog/.

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME}/index.html !-f

RewriteRule . index.php?sef_rewrite=1 [L,QSA]

My based installation is in root folder. I’m on a test server with no hostname set… so it’s using IP to browse whether that makes a difference or not.

[QUOTE] I get an error saying mod_rewrite is not installed.[/QUOTE]

Are you absolutely certain that Mod-rewrite is actually installed on your server?

[QUOTE]I’m on a test server with no hostname set… so it’s using IP to browse whether that makes a difference or not.[/QUOTE]

I am not absolutely certain, however, my bet is this will create problems as well.

I am having the same issue as onture with cs-cart 2.0.11

I am creating two ecommerce sites, both with the same hosting provider but on different accounts.

One of the installs works fine with SEO but the other does not, the only difference i can see is that one is on v 2.0.8 and the other 2.0.11 and that the latter has a fixed IP address so that I could use an SSL certificate on the domain.

[quote name=‘peteyb’]I am having the same issue as onture with cs-cart 2.0.11

I am creating two ecommerce sites, both with the same hosting provider but on different accounts.

One of the installs works fine with SEO but the other does not, the only difference i can see is that one is on v 2.0.8 and the other 2.0.11 and that the latter has a fixed IP address so that I could use an SSL certificate on the domain.[/quote]

Can you post the URL?

Did you delete the cache and is your htaccess right?

Hi

My .htaccess was wrong.

Thank you

Hi All,

I am facing the same issue when I shifted the files from a testing server to production server.

I couldn't enable the SEO Addon. Then after some research and help from the forum peers, I worked that out, by adding "return true" in the SEO Addon "actions.functions.post.php" page.

Now I am looking at this issue which says, "Not Found" for every link that I click on the website. I even did "uninstall" the addon and then installed it again. And tried to create a new product and checked that page, still shows "404 not found error"

I can't figure it out why is that happening!

If any of you guys can figure that out, it'd be of great help.

Here's the website link.

http://nuzoni.com

The above link is working just fine,

http://nuzoni.com/chain/

The link above is showing "404 Not Found" error.

The installation is made in the root folder. And I didn't change anything in the .htaccess file which is the same default when I installed it.

Please do let me know what I'm doing wrong here.! Calling out all the forum-ers for an answer. Help me out guys.

Thanks

Not sure what you are trying to do...

if you are installed in subdirectory /chain then make sure you have

rewritebase/chain in .htaccess

and if installed in root the just rewritebase/

as for adding return"true" not sure what this is about, that could be part of the problem.

Also check file permissions, uninstall and reinstall seo addon.

make sure you have

rewritebase/chain

in .htaccess

and not just rewritebase/

as for adding return"true" not sure what this is about

Hi @johnbol1,

Thanks for the reply.

Actually that chain is not a folder. It is a category name.

I mentioned it to say for an example link to the website. None of the product links, category links are working after enabling the SEO Addon.

I think we've to use "RewriteBase /" because the installation is made in the root directory.

Yes, it must be rewritebase/

if in root, and try uninstall reinstall seo addon, if that doesnt help try reverting the changes you made to "actions.functions.post.php"

JOhn

The changes that I made in "actions.functions.post.php" was just adding "return true" to activate the addon as it was not activating on its own earlier.

I tried reverting back the above page, and its still not working.

And I even tried uninstalling and installing it again as well.

Nothing seems to work really.

I'm sure that "mod_rewrite" is enabled as well since the addon won't be activated if the "mod_rewrite" is not enabled.

I'm not sure what's happening other than that.

Id contact the helpdesk