• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Upgrading to 2.0.7 Error Rate Topic   - - - - -

• Darius
  • Douchebag
  • Members
  • 3315 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 04:59 PM #41

Ok so I just did upgrade on my about to go live shop.

Last I saw

http://www.domain.co...2.0.6-2.0.7.tgz

After this white screen.

Front end is store closed

admin.php gives white screen (admin panel not accessible). Whats next?

• snorocket
  • Forum Janitor
  • Members
  • 2519 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 05:17 PM #42

welcome to the white screen of death, you'll need to manually ftp your files to your server to fix this...
SNOROCKET.COM, Now Accepting PRE-ORDERS:
Customer Service (Helpdesk) Addon for CS-Cart v4.3.1
Quote and Invoicing Addon for CS-Cart v4.3.1

• miracles
  • Members
  • 1533 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 05:32 PM #43

yeah that's right after revert and remove new upgrade some of files are still there
CS-CART 3.0.6 GRENADE

Please vote for CDN Add-on

For SEO Article Submission, Forum Profile Links, Web 2.0 links, contact me through PM.

• MimiWatch
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 05:41 PM #44

The problem seems to lie in the cscart_products_categories generation... corrupt table is the result in mysql 5.1.34 - tried updating to 5.1.37 and still no dice.

Looks like THIS bug is the culprit:

http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=46766

...based on this code in uc.sql:

ALTER TABLE `cscart_products_categories` CHANGE `position` `position` smallint(5) unsigned DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL, DROP KEY `position`, ADD KEY `position` (`position`);

THX, around this problem was.

• Darius
  • Douchebag
  • Members
  • 3315 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:22 PM #45

welcome to the white screen of death, you'll need to manually ftp your files to your server to fix this...

What files ?

• TutorDaddy
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:51 PM #46

OK

I'm new here, so what is the deal with cs-cart handling problems that are evident in this forum?

It has been several days now, and I can't see where anything has been addressed or handled by support.

In the bug tracker, it doesn't even look like it has been acknowledged as a problem.

I'm going to contact support and ask if they are working on the problem, if not, why not, and if they are, why can't they put a notice in the forum that the problem is acknowledged and being worked on. Doesn't seem to me like too much to ask for a product that costs what this one does.

If I'm out of line here, then I apologize, but I'm really frustrated that I spent weeks of work doing away with my old Wordpress ecommerce site because of constant upgrade problems, and here I am right back in the same boat after paying for what I thought would solve that problem.

Rant over.....

Lewis

• BarryH
  • Members
  • 1459 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:36 PM #47

OK

I'm new here, so what is the deal with cs-cart handling problems that are evident in this forum?

It has been several days now, and I can't see where anything has been addressed or handled by support.

In the bug tracker, it doesn't even look like it has been acknowledged as a problem.

I'm going to contact support and ask if they are working on the problem, if not, why not, and if they are, why can't they put a notice in the forum that the problem is acknowledged and being worked on. Doesn't seem to me like too much to ask for a product that costs what this one does.

If I'm out of line here, then I apologize, but I'm really frustrated that I spent weeks of work doing away with my old Wordpress ecommerce site because of constant upgrade problems, and here I am right back in the same boat after paying for what I thought would solve that problem.

Rant over.....

Lewis

Hi

I know exactly what you are going through and agree with most of what you are saying.

However I would persist/continue with it as you will ultimately end up with a vastly superior Cart.

I have spent weeks doing upgrades etc and have eventually got it right (fingers crossed) and only need to do the cosmetics before putting live.

Best of luck!!!!

BarryH

BarryH

CS-Cart v4.4.3 (Plus one being developed v4.5.2 SP2)
UK User

• Struck
  • Teetering on Genious
  • Members
  • 2502 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:52 PM #48

Just a couple of quick thoughts.......

If that is the the case, then it would be "our fault" as we the users have not taken the time to add this to the bug report.

Doesn't seem to me like too much to ask for a product that costs what this one does.

A professional level shopping cart which offers all of the features CS-Cart offers for less than $265.00 is pretty tough to find! And I don't even want to hear about any of the open source free stuff out there.........as "eventually" you get what you pay for with that! A good example is OS Commerce which now goes for like years without an official upate......no thanks in trying to run a business intending to make money on a foundation like that!

Don't forget, CS-Cart just recently released Version 2.0, so a flurry of bug fixes/updates are inevidable for the first few months............however it will continue to become more stable & soon level out. Updates are a pain, however, no updates over long periods of time can be worse when there are features a store owner desperately needs to run their business profitably and efficiently. ;)
Cooking with Gas on Version 4.1.2 (But proceeding with caution....)

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:01 PM #49

The cart that I came from offered support directly through the user forum. The developers constantly monitored forum posts and often answered directly. That was a support model that I liked much better than CS-Cart's. However, CS-Cart's functionality is VASTLY superior to what I was using, so for me it's a matter of adjusting to their support model and moving on as best I can.

What happens if we skip several updates and then decide to upgrade? Say, if I decided not to upgrade until 2.0.9 (or whatever). Could a person go straight from 2.0.6 to 2.0.9, or does one have to install each update individually?

Also, someone mentioned not using the built-in upgrader (inside the admin) but updating some other way. Is this a better method? How would one upgrade the database in that case?

• TutorDaddy
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:16 PM #50

Just a couple of quick thoughts.......

If that is the the case, then it would be "our fault" as we the users have not taken the time to add this to the bug report.

A professional level shopping cart which offers all of the features CS-Cart offers for less than $265.00 is pretty tough to find! And I don't even want to hear about any of the open source free stuff out there.........as "eventually" you get what you pay for with that! A good example is OS Commerce which now goes for like years without an official upate......no thanks in trying to run a business intending to make money on a foundation like that!

Don't forget, CS-Cart just recently released Version 2.0, so a flurry of bug fixes/updates are inevidable for the first few months............however it will continue to become more stable & soon level out. Updates are a pain, however, no updates over long periods of time can be worse when there are features a store owner desperately needs to run their business profitably and efficiently. ;)

Perhaps I don't understand how bug tracker works, but what I meant was that if you look in bug tracker, the problem was reported 2 days ago, but it says "unconfirmed" and "unassigned" so that sounds to me like they haven't acknowledged the problem or assigned anyone to work on it.

If that isn't correct, and they are in fact working on it, then it seems it would show as having someone assigned to the problem.

Thanks for the reply, I do appreciate it

• TutorDaddy
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:31 PM #51

The cart that I came from offered support directly through the user forum. The developers constantly monitored forum posts and often answered directly. That was a support model that I liked much better than CS-Cart's. However, CS-Cart's functionality is VASTLY superior to what I was using, so for me it's a matter of adjusting to their support model and moving on as best I can.

What happens if we skip several updates and then decide to upgrade? Say, if I decided not to upgrade until 2.0.9 (or whatever). Could a person go straight from 2.0.6 to 2.0.9, or does one have to install each update individually?

Also, someone mentioned not using the built-in upgrader (inside the admin) but updating some other way. Is this a better method? How would one upgrade the database in that case?

I too am used to having support monitor the forum of their product, and when there is a major problem they jump on it immediately.

I use several products, both free and paid, in the way of Wordpress plugins and Joomla components, and most of them handle support that way, and also have a way to contact support outside of the forum.

I totally agree with you that cs-cart is a very good product, especially for the price, and I intend to stick with it, but I also think they could improve on the way support is handled, and yes, I realize support costs money, so that can be a problem in keeping the price of the product low.

I am also trying to get used to being charged for support, this is the first product I have ever purchased that did charge for support. If they only charge me for problems that I created, I can live with that. If they charge me to handle problems that are caused by cs-cart "bugs", then I would not be so happy.

I too would be interested in how you do the upgrade outside of admin.

Thanks everyone for the input.......

• jobosales
  • Members
  • 3114 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:36 PM #52

That additional table looked like it is getting called by a hook that allows some level of package splitting when you have multiple suppliers for a given order - there is a shipping override hook. Not sure how the plain 2.07 functions without it, unless that feature is not included in that package yet for some reason. Perhaps they started with it and then decided to do it a different way.

The supplier stuff seems to be working in 2.0.7 so they probably just decided to go a different direction with the implementation.

There are about 10 other inconsistencies in the database between a fresh 2.0.7 install and an upgrade. Most of them are minor (missing default value seems most common) but it strikes me as a level of sloppiness that should not occur in a professional software release.

Bob
CS-Cart 2.0.14 (testing)

• grabbags
  • Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:46 PM #53

I was having problem with the updrade from 2.06 to 2.07 as well. After comparing with the clean install with 2.0.7 and my data, I noticed there's an additional line
KEY `position` (`position`),
in this table, 'cscart_producters_categories' in "header" area. Once I delete this line, the upgrade works like a charm. You guys may want to give try it.

I also notice the the clean 2.0.7 install does not have this table, 'cscart_shippings_suppliers'. Is that mean we no longer need it for future version???!!

• jobosales
  • Members
  • 3114 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:49 PM #54

I too am used to having support monitor the forum of their product, and when there is a major problem they jump on it immediately.

I don't mind support being offered through the Bug Tracker rather than the forum since it avoids a lot of the BS that gets posted in the forums. The Bug Tracker is also better as a system to track the status of bugs. However, as you suggest, the developers need to acknowledge reports quickly for this to work. There also needs to be a way to re-open "fixed" items that are not, in fact, fixed.

Bob
CS-Cart 2.0.14 (testing)

• johnjohn
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:49 AM #55

Does anyone else use custom skin files in 2.0?

Did the upgrades overwrite your work in the tpl and css files?

I don't remember this behavior in the 1.3 series and I don't think this happened when upgrading 2.0.3 to 2.0.4. But my custom skin directory (custom name, custom files) was overwritten with 2.0.5 and 2.0.6.

I don't even dare to install 2.0.7 yet...

• Darius
  • Douchebag
  • Members
  • 3315 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 05:13 AM #56

A professional level shopping cart which offers all of the features CS-Cart offers for less than $265.00 is pretty tough to find! And I don't even want to hear about any of the open source free stuff out there....

What this has to do with buggy software released for masses without proper testing?
Over 3000 stores got orange popup in admin panel to run upgrade, I still do, after this many of them are down, what happened to mine also...

What I hate most in this scenario that after so many complains, reports in bug tracker the update was not disabled or canceled but still available in admin panel. I thought that problem may probably be over after this day silence and ran upgrade last night, result "White screen of death"...

• Darius
  • Douchebag
  • Members
  • 3315 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 05:51 AM #57

Support team has fixed my problem, do not know the cause yet.

• zeke
  • Megamind
  • Administrators
  • 472 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:20 AM #58

Ok, upgrade scripts were rewritten to avoid such problems in future. Thank you.

• rdr
  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:25 AM #59

Was the upgrade "fixed"
will there bie a fix?

what should people with update "error" do ?

• jagorny
  • Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 02:15 PM #60

The update has been posted - a new package is available dated 8/27...

I don't have time to try it today - several critical business operations hapening today and I can't afford the downtime.

If you tried to upgrade and revert and the revert process "failed," I found that I was able to use all of the files in the backup folder under var/upgrade/2.0.6 to 2.0.7 (or whatever it's called) to bring my store back up again. The revert process basically restored your database to pre-upgrade condition, but didn't seem to move the files back from the backup folder.

Everyone needs to do that by hand. At least, that was what brought me back up and running.

If the problem is what I suspected, the issue may not have been with the upgrade package, but with bugs in MySQL - that sort of thing takes more time to diagnose and can be very frustrating, because as we all know, bugs are often not included in the documentation for software packages. :wink:

My experience with the Bug Tracker (and with bug systems in general) is that often times it is easier for small groups of programmers to hammer through code and then update all the changes later... bug trackers quickly become to-do lists and rather than acknowledge and respond to every single request, I noted about 2 weeks before the 2.0.7 release that a HUGE number of bugs became fixed, closed or at least recognized and responded to... it seems like the CS-Cart team goes through the BT system and gets all the low hanging fruit first, then the more extensive problems, then puts out requests for examples and more info.
Jacob Gorny

www.orthodoxmarketplace.com - CS-Cart 2.2.4 Pro (Dedicated)